5 speed

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Copterpilot
Site Supporter

Re: 5 speed

Post by Copterpilot »

The guy I bought it from said he had $1400 into it. Not sure about that. It does go into reverse with no problem.
White 1968 2000 Roadster
Gray 2003 VW Jetta TDI
Red 2005 Pontiac Vibe
2112 Toyota Highlander
Platinum White F150 Platinum Powerstroke
AS365 Dauphine
A109E Power
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

If it goes in reverse w/o issue, it should go into the other gears w/o issue. Especially if you shift politely (neutral first, double clutch etc.)

Sorry for your misfortune. You are definitely not the first guy to get a bum trans represented as "totally rebuilt"- plus the are lots of "re-builders" out there that just don't do a very good job...I know of guys who have recently bought "totally rebuilt" boxes and ran into the same problem or worse (won't stay in gear/bad whine in one gear etc.). Try some Redline, it may make it tolerable, but I would bet the 1st and 4th synchros were not replaced or there was some other damage/mischief afoot....One thing about misbehaving transmissions, unlike a fine wine or scotch, they don't get better with age. Better to pull it out and fix it than to have it fail drastically - that just tears things up worse$$$. j
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Dann’s phrase, “damnably tight shifting for a while” logically implies a certain break-in may be expected before the servo boxes can be shifted normally. And – trying to stay on point here – at no time did Copterpilot mention ANY whine/vibration or jumping out of gear, any of which might indeed signal impending catastrophe and an immediate need to pull the box rather than attempt a sensible break-in.

So, Copterpilot, you must make the call on your own car. And, while it is undoubtedly true that you would not be the first guy to be sold a bum trans, neither would you be the first to pull your rebuilt FS5C71A unnecessarily because someone told you to expect it to shift normally (even with the proper technique) from the get-go.

Jon
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

“Tight shifting” doesn’t translate to crunching gears.

These boxes really don’t need significant “break in”. I’ve built at least a dozen servo type and plenty of Warner’s over the years. A properly rebuilt box can go from bench to racetrack immediately without grinding.

The syndros should work properly from day1.

Besides if it was a “break-in” issue, why just 1st and downshift to 4th ? Makes no sense, some of those parts aren’t happy.
Like I said, Redline MAY help, but I doubt the trans will improve by continuing to drive it with synchro hubs grinding. Gears that grind are unlikely to improve.
LT/JT
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

JT,

And, you still advised those racers with those newly rebuilt boxes to "shift politely" the first few laps? :smt064

Jon
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

jhayden wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:55 pm JT,

And, you still advised those racers with those newly rebuilt boxes to "shift politely" the first few laps? :smt064

Jon
Hah, good luck with that....

If the box isn't working properly after a few pace/practice laps, its got issues. Any competitive driver is going to want it replaced.

Hey, I've been here too, pulling a "fresh" trans sux.

Doesn't change the facts...no it isn't normal to have to be completely stopped to engage first.

Yes, you should be able to downshift from 5th to 4th with any rebuilt transmission- no grinding.

If you bought a fully restored car (or any car) and the trans behaved like this, would anyone be comfortable with that? doubt it.
LT/JT
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

I'll chime in with my knowledge learned the hard way. When the brass box wears it allows the shifter to "overextend" because the brass moves further up on to the cones and eventually the dogs will pop up and you are stuck in that gear. It seems less likely to grind, it just gets stuck. On the servos mine start out stiff which synchronizes the gears faster until the bands become smoother and they take longer to synchronize and this can lead to grinding. The servo break bands can be turned around to use the surface that has not been used. I make my servo trans tight so I can shift them fast and break things. :shock:

Danny_Vilato
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Danny_Vilato »

I just had my transmission rebuilt. I installed back in the car with new clutch hydraulics.
When the car is turned on and clutch depressed it will not go into gear. When the car is off it goes into gear, but with the back wheels off the ground the wheels turn easily.
Any ideas?
69 SRL
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Sounds like you need to adjust the throw out. Do you have an observer to verify that the hydraulics are working? I.e. - when you push the clutch is the slave cylinder activating?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

Don't need an observer - use your cell phone and take a video. Suggest you shout out 'pushing' or something like that so that the timing is recorded.

Works well for me!!
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

spyder wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 am I make my servo trans tight so I can shift them fast and break things. :shock:

The good news is you broke it in the right place..lol

Try not to break the other end of the axle..
Danny_Vilato
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Danny_Vilato »

The slave moves when the clutch pedal is pushed.
I adjusted the slave ( with return spring off) to have slight play at the throw out fork.
How far should the fork arm move?
With the rear of the car up off the ground, in gear, would the wheels turn?
69 SRL