5 speed

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Copterpilot
Site Supporter

5 speed

Post by Copterpilot »

So, after spending all winter and spring replacing the transmission and cleaning up the engine, I have my car on the road. Had a nice drive today. However, I have a few questions. I don't remember having to come to a stop before downshifting into first gear. Is this normal? I don't think my other tranny was like this. Also, I can't downshift from 5th to 4th. It just grinds. So, I go from 5th to 3rd.
White 1968 2000 Roadster
Gray 2003 VW Jetta TDI
Red 2005 Pontiac Vibe
2112 Toyota Highlander
Platinum White F150 Platinum Powerstroke
AS365 Dauphine
A109E Power
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: 5 speed

Post by notoptoy »

Did you rebuild the transmission? Sounds like synchronizers for 1st and 4th may be wearing/worn out?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

notoptoy wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:30 pm Did you rebuild the transmission? Sounds like synchronizers for 1st and 4th may be wearing/worn out?
Doesn't sound rebuilt. 5speed is fully syncronized - should not have to stop for 1st. 5th-to-4th should not grind. Def sounds tired.

Suggest you try Redline MTL, 75W90, or Swepco. May help considerably, may not/ not much to lose at this point since if two gear are grinding it needs rebuilding.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

I would make absolutely certain that all parts of the clutch operating system (master, slave, pushrods, spring) are fully functioning and properly adjusted before condemning the trans.

Good luck. :smt006
Copterpilot
Site Supporter

Post by Copterpilot »

I bought the transmission with an email that it had been rebuilt. I am currently running swepco 201 in it. Replaced the old transmission as it was having difficulty going into 2nd and I found lots of metal on the magnetic drain plug. I have bled and adjusted the clutch slave twice, but I suppose that could still be a part of the issue.

It took me all winter and spring to get the engine rebuilt, cleaned up and get it all back together. I absolutely hate the idea that I might have to pull everything again! UGH!
White 1968 2000 Roadster
Gray 2003 VW Jetta TDI
Red 2005 Pontiac Vibe
2112 Toyota Highlander
AS365 Dauphine
A109E Power
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

I agree with jhayden.
Clutch slave is 20 at AutoZone. Be sure hole in clutch pedal lever is not ovaled out, or use a new pin. See 311 posts. I seem to recall one guy who removed his trans only to discover it was that clutch pedal hole after all. Hoses may be bad, stainless is an improvement. 510 clutch master works.
Given the time you have taken with the car these last few items can be critical. I would change them all before considering the tranny pull.
Good luck,
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

You don’t have to buy a slave cylinder to test the clutch hydraulics. Just jack up the rear wheels or put it on a lift.
Have someone in the car depress the clutch pedal with the transmission in any gear/not neutral.

You should be able to turn the drive shaft. If you can’t, make sure there is only about 1/16” of free play at the clutch slave rod.

If the clutch is releasing properly, you will be able to turn the driveshaft by hand in any gear. This doesn’t sound like clutch since he can go from 5th to 3rd.
LT/JT
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

And something else to keep in mind before pulling the tranny:

"Rebuilding a unit properly unfortunately creates damnably tight shifting for awhile...There has to be two separate movements from one gear to neutral and from neutral to the next gear. Failure to do this, using one hard shove or pull, can cause a failure." Rallye Roadster Parts Catalog, pp. 170-171.

Here's hoping your trans is typical.

Jon
Copterpilot
Site Supporter

Post by Copterpilot »

jhayden wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:00 pm And something else to keep in mind before pulling the tranny:

"Rebuilding a unit properly unfortunately creates damnably tight shifting for awhile...There has to be two separate movements from one gear to neutral and from neutral to the next gear. Failure to do this, using one hard shove or pull, can cause a failure." Rallye Roadster Parts Catalog, pp. 170-171.

Jon
I hope that's the case. This is the description of the work the rebuilder did.

"It was really messed up and had gotten pretty hot inside. Here is a list of the things replaced. All seals, all bearings, syncronizers. If you look in your parts book figure F32b-1 #35, 95, 40&41, 92-94, gasket set and overdrive. It looked like one of the bearings gave up the ghost and that allowed everything to shift and drop and alot of the gears were damaged."
White 1968 2000 Roadster
Gray 2003 VW Jetta TDI
Red 2005 Pontiac Vibe
2112 Toyota Highlander
AS365 Dauphine
A109E Power
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

Copterpilot wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:25 pm
jhayden wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:00 pm And something else to keep in mind before pulling the tranny:

Jon
I hope that's the case. This is the description of the work the rebuilder did.

"It was really messed up and had gotten pretty hot inside. Here is a list of the things replaced. All seals, all bearings, syncronizers. If you look in your parts book figure F32b-1 #35, 95, 40&41, 92-94, gasket set and overdrive. It looked like one of the bearings gave up the ghost and that allowed everything to shift and drop and alot of the gears were damaged."
left field comment here....if I read this correctly I read it as (all) the synchros were replaced. (If so, your bill for parts alone should have been quite high.) So if all synchros were replaced then either they weren't actually replaced or they were and maybe you just have the tight shifting on your fresh rebuild.

my .00002
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Here’s an even simpler test.....does it go into reverse from neutral with the car stationary, engine running, clutch depressed?

Reverse is non synchronized, so if it goes into reverse with the engune running, the clutch hydraulics are working and the clutch is releasing.
(after the gears come to a stop)- You can also usually hear all the trans gears stop turning an instant after the clutch is depressed.

If so the clutch is releasing and you can rule out hydraulics. J
LT/JT
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

I rebuilt my 5 speed last fall. New berings, seals and synchros. New idler gear too. Everything shifts well going up in gears but going down from 5th to 4th is a little fussy. I have to pause in neutral on the down shifts. Hoping that it settles in. Only a few hundred miles on it so far...

Did the rebuilder replace gears..."a lot of the gears were damaged"?
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Guys, if the clutch releases, you should be able to downshift without clashing of gears. Try 50%MTL, 50% any 90wt. If it still won’t downshift the rebuild was bad/they reused a couple synchros etc.- I can assure you when new you could go from 5th to 4th.
LT/JT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

On my car, years ago, I distinctly remember some grinding on going into reverse, with engine running, which was fixed by clutch slave, hoses, bleeding well. Echoing what JT just said. Of course at the time I thought it was the tranny.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Right, reverse has no synchro, so if the clutch doesn’t fully release and you don’t wait for the gears and the car to all stop moving,completely, it will crunch every time. 1-5 has synchros to allow “clash free” gear changes while rolling and while the main shaft and input shaft are in motion- that is the point.

I do agree that you should pull the shifter to neutral, then to the next gear, like Dann suggested many years ago- much easier on the trans.-totally good advice for everyone.
LT/JT