Self centering shifter???

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

John B
Roadster Newby

Self centering shifter???

Post by John B »

So I'm just getting used to my 2000 roadster but I have to say I find the shifter for the 5-speed transmission very peculiar. Regardless of what gear I put the transmission in the shifter returns to the center of the "H" pattern, as opposed to staying where I put it. It stays in gear nicely, but the self-centering shifter is very odd. I've had many manual transmission cars before but have never encountered one like this.

For example in first gear I put the shifter in the top left, let go and it stays in gear but the shifter springs back to the center of the "H". This seems to happen in all the gears. It ultimately works fine but I have to say I don't like it.

I did a search on this and found nothing.
Are they all like this or is it just mine??
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Self centering shifter???

Post by fj20spl311 »

I would tighten or replace the rubber bushing in the shifter first.
Sometimes you can install several smaller outside diameter washers under the larger washer to tighten up the bushing.
Rubber bushings for less than $10 a pair
Delrin and aluminum are about $25 a pair.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
ct06033
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by ct06033 »

I dont have a 5 speed, but i have ridden in a roadster with one and i assure you, it should not do that. I am thinking its something dealing with the shift fork would cause this but can't imagine what the failure mode might be. I dont really understand how you are able to shift and stay in gear with the shifter returning to "neutral". My opinion is, that transmission will have to come out to get that fixed. Some new bushings wont do you any good.

I am suffering from the opposite issue where there is no "spring" in my shift so in "neutral" the shifter kinda lists to one side and theres enough play in everything that you are never totally sure what gear you are in but I am waiting to just do everything at once a-la "while you are in there" mentality.
2016 Audi TTS
2005 Honda S2000
1968 Datsun 1600
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

John B wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:23 am So I'm just getting used to my 2000 roadster but I have to say I find the shifter for the 5-speed transmission very peculiar. Regardless of what gear I put the transmission in the shifter returns to the center of the "H" pattern, as opposed to staying where I put it. It stays in gear nicely, but the self-centering shifter is very odd. I've had many manual transmission cars before but have never encountered one like this.

For example in first gear I put the shifter in the top left, let go and it stays in gear but the shifter springs back to the center of the "H". This seems to happen in all the gears. It ultimately works fine but I have to say I don't like it.

I did a search on this and found nothing.
Are they all like this or is it just mine??
This is how the transmission is supposed to work. There are 2 pins which puts the shifter back to the center in neutral.

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

@ct06033

The lever should stay central and not 'list'. You 'centering' springs may be broken, one of mine was.

These can be accessed from the brass nuts at the end of the transmission (IF you have a 5-speed).
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
John B
Roadster Newby

Post by John B »

So that's how it is supposed to be?
Mine does spring right back to the neutral position when in gear so I guess all is in order then...
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

John B wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:48 pm So that's how it is supposed to be?
Mine does spring right back to the neutral position when in gear so I guess all is in order then...
Nope.

You probably have so much slop in the shifter linkage that it seems to go back to neutral. Have a re-read of the thread.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
ct06033
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ct06033 »

mraitch wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am @ct06033

The lever should stay central and not 'list'. You 'centering' springs may be broken, one of mine was.

These can be accessed from the brass nuts at the end of the transmission (IF you have a 5-speed).
Yep, I am aware but on the 4 speed, I can't get to them with the transmission in the car so waiting to do engine, clutch, tranny all at once.
2016 Audi TTS
2005 Honda S2000
1968 Datsun 1600