water in oil

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

water in oil

Post by Lorna c »

ok well with my hood off for a minute the rain caught me off guard and having a couple cracks in my valve cover , well , water got into my oil . now I see it getting kinda funny in color . ugh
what did it do to my motor ? I'm sure I need to dump it now but anything else ?
shoot .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: water in oil

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 am ok well with my hood off for a minute the rain caught me off guard and having a couple cracks in my valve cover , well , water got into my oil . now I see it getting kinda funny in color . ugh
shoot .
Do you have any idea ow much? Have you run it since? The oil won't change color from water until it mixes in. Oil will not of course, lubricate bearings but a small amount mixed in won't make a difference. Water in the oil will be driven off by running for a little bit. This is what you are seeing when some one starts there car cold and drives off. When they pull away from the first stop sign water dribbles out the tail pipe. If you think that it is enough that it could compromise lubrication dump it, but don't worry about anything more because water is a product of combustion, so there is always some there any way.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RBMann »

How do you have cracks in the valve cover that let water in but don't leak oil?
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

RBMann wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am How do you have cracks in the valve cover that let water in but don't leak oil?

I picture the cracks being in the top running front to back along a rib or two. There is little pressure to the oil under it so I wouldn't see any tendency for it to get out of a crack in the top.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

idk . it's turning frothy up top in the valve cover cap, I noticed a bit of discoloration . but I'm not even caring about that rt now . I messed up my paint job on the last bit of paint I have . frickin drips ! ohhhh noooooo . I'm so ticked I could chuck my compressor or something .. oh shoot . you can't just fix flat paint . right up in the driver's corner pannel too . oh my goodness I'm so mad at me . it looked better before I painted now . shoot , it was almost perfect too . idk what to do now . I still can't load a picture but trust me , I could cry it's messed up . wow . yep I could cry . :smt021 :smt022 :Tosser: :idea:

C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:18 pm idk . it's turning frothy up top in the valve cover cap, I noticed a bit of discoloration . but I'm not even caring about that rt now . I messed up my paint job on the last bit of paint I have . frickin drips ! ohhhh noooooo . I'm so ticked I could chuck my compressor or something .. oh shoot . you can't just fix flat paint . right up in the driver's corner pannel too . oh my goodness I'm so mad at me . it looked better before I painted now . shoot , it was almost perfect too . idk what to do now . I still can't load a picture but trust me , I could cry it's messed up . wow . yep I could cry . :smt021 :smt022 :Tosser: :idea:
Get some sanding blocks if you don't already have them. start with about a 120 grit sandpaper to level the drips, then go to 240 then 320. and it will be back to how it was just before you paint it. Thanks for this chance to get ahead of you. I have sanded for about fifteen hours in the last three days.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:09 pm
Lorna c wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:18 pm idk . it's turning frothy up top in the valve cover cap, I noticed a bit of discoloration . but I'm not even caring about that rt now . I messed up my paint job on the last bit of paint I have . frickin drips ! ohhhh noooooo . I'm so ticked I could chuck my compressor or something .. oh shoot . you can't just fix flat paint . right up in the driver's corner pannel too . oh my goodness I'm so mad at me . it looked better before I painted now . shoot , it was almost perfect too . idk what to do now . I still can't load a picture but trust me , I could cry it's messed up . wow . yep I could cry . :smt021 :smt022 :Tosser: :idea:
Get some sanding blocks if you don't already have them. start with about a 120 grit sandpaper to level the drips, then go to 240 then 320. and it will be back to how it was just before you paint it. Thanks for this chance to get ahead of you. I have sanded for about fifteen hours in the last three days.
hahaha .
no I can't , it's flat paint . you can't "fix" it ,in a sense , I'm waiting on more paint to show up .. I don't think you'll pass me . but u never know , I still have plenty of time to mess up more . lol . I'm a rookie at best and mistakes is my middle name .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

RBMann wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am How do you have cracks in the valve cover that let water in but don't leak oil?
it s only on the cap of the valve cover ,
it's not all frothing like the transmission oil did . haha that was kinda funny . I opened that bolt to add oil because i changed my u-joint and some got out . anyway when I was driving it before all that u-joint stuff came out I felt something "holding it back" when I would gas it . it felt almost soapy bubbly inside or something . then when I popped that bolt it came out like a long snake . haha and coming and coming .. I'm all awahhh it's alive . and it was almost white in color . haha anyway it's not like that . . it's only on the cap for some reason .. but I'll check did stick to see if it's down there at all . should only be a little bit . oh and I welded the cover so not to leak in or out ... :-)

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:19 am
Lorna c wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 am ok well with my hood off for a minute the rain caught me off guard and having a couple cracks in my valve cover , well , water got into my oil . now I see it getting kinda funny in color . ugh
shoot .
Do you have any idea ow much? Have you run it since? The oil won't change color from water until it mixes in. Oil will not of course, lubricate bearings but a small amount mixed in won't make a difference. Water in the oil will be driven off by running for a little bit. This is what you are seeing when some one starts there car cold and drives off. When they pull away from the first stop sign water dribbles out the tail pipe. If you think that it is enough that it could compromise lubrication dump it, but don't worry about anything more because water is a product of combustion, so there is always some there any way.
ok I don't think it's that much . I'm going to check did stick now .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok so , two days of rain got a touch in there to where I dumped it and added new . it was frothing on the cap of valve cover and I saw some on the top of a rocker arm by the cap hole . sooo , being how I frothed up my transmission oil till it goozed out the fill hole when I took off the cap , I figured it would be better to play that safe in the motor oil . haha looked like a magic trick the way it kept coming out . anyway . so yep . all new oil again . that's like 5-6 changes since the motor was rebuilt . haha little ocd .