windshield removal

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: windshield removal

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:43 am I believe that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get the moulding in after glass is installed.
yeah yeah , I'm getting that concept now . :-( ordering some "nice used rubber " now, I hope . so when I have that confirmed , I'll cut my window out . or practice lifting out the rubber . . and after watching the correct video , I'm thinking I can pull off the install too ¿ could get interesting :smt031
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

in this case, questionable to buy USED. Get NEW, you KNOW it will be good.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

Agree with that. This is one of those “12-15 year” parts, that once sprung for you will never be back.
Because it is at waist level when out of the car, one of the most visible. Your choice, but any aftermarket piece is going to be jointed (cut and spliced where?) and then corners will fit, or not, how?
The effort to install twice is greater than the cost of the right one, once.

From VW windshield install efforts of days past, the installers tool looks/is one of these.
Take a flat screwdriver, hold it out in front with flat of the blade parallel to your forehead.
Now bend it to the left or right. That is their tool.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 pm in this case, questionable to buy USED. Get NEW, you KNOW it will be good.
well , I can't right new . $200 wasn't on my radar for this .. I'm still settling in on this expense so ... I'm not sure what's what yet . but I hear ya .

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

I bought one from Dean, looks great, especially at the corners (with SHARP 90 degree edges), flexible, easyish to install (nothing about the product, just as you know a bit tricky) and as Fergus said, once done, done! IMHO, MAJOR rubber is not something to skimp on, cant be fixed. And it deteriorates.
I had an OEM trunk weatherstrip, god knows why I saved it) that was 37 years old in OEM packing, and in less that a year, it just fell apart.

Save up some money and do this right. You have clearly demonstrated ingenuity and determination. Just put a pause on your patience meter!

And don't worry about how your car will show at Solvang. It's just being there is the most important thing. We all love these cars, regardless of condition - BURNVIC shows up most years, a true survivor, and noone cares about the condition. People and cars, cars and People. That's what makes this community so awesome.l I bet there are other marques that wish they had the level of support that this community has for its treasures.

Buy a NEW weatherstrip, bring some appropriate 'string' and cleaners/silicone 'spray' and I/We will cause R&R for you at Solvang.
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

can u drive with the window out ? haha bugs in teeth.. thanks for that . I wanted to remove for painting it . had a few things pop through the paint and I was hit 2days after completing it last year :-( . and wanted to fix that too . well it's fixed now ,just not painted . well hell , I guess no one will know it's red up under the rubber anyway. just u guys do such a nice complete job on things , removing the windshield was the least I could do.. ya know . but what u say makes sense in my situation . I might just muster up some patience . besides I've tried all week to get help and the one who said "yes tomorrow" , never showed up ... ergh .. people suck sometimes .( but not forum peeps ) just people . if I could , when they ask for help I'd say " NO Can't , sorry ". but I don't ,and can't . so

*what's good string size ? is there gages or measurements for string ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

seriously is $200+ rubber for the windshield our only option for new ? I'm thinking to get used . I know I know , but what can I do ? it's too much for me .

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Sometimes you just have to bite the dust.

If you keep it protected and dressed (NO Armorall) you will likely never have to replace it.

But maybe someone has a used one that is in good condition.

Just put it out there and see what comes up.

Rubber is seriously affected by UV.

Without windhield, goggles are pretty much the only answer BTW. The hood funnels the wind. I remember driving back from the paint shop, and at even 30, there was a LOLT of wind!
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:54 pm Sometimes you just have to bite the dust.

If you keep it protected and dressed (NO Armorall) you will likely never have to replace it.

But maybe someone has a used one that is in good condition.

Just put it out there and see what comes up.

Rubber is seriously affected by UV.

Without windhield, goggles are pretty much the only answer BTW. The hood funnels the wind. I remember driving back from the paint shop, and at even 30, there was a LOLT of wind!
well unfortunately I paint myself . so mistakes are on me . which I made one at the end . ergh .. anyway yeah I'm thinking , idk what I'm thinking .. I just dono . I've got credit , but that's the last thing I want to do . ergh . I'm still not sure . I know what's best . . am I too stubborn to do it is the question . . even with that said , idk which I should do ... haha thanks tho . used is my only option , or keep what I have in and try to fix it .. ooh no chrome that way either . ergh ..awahhhh