General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: windshield removal

Post by Lorna c »

pebbles wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm
mraitch wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 pm
Just make sure you put the stainless stuff (well buffed) in BEFORE installation.
I left the top corners out as relief. Dint wanna wreck the $500 glass. Spent two days puttin them 2 corner bits in :shock: totally forgot to polish the trim before install :oops:
haha time I can spend .. breaking the 500$ glass I can't .. good for u to find a way to get it in .. the old glass will have more chance to break I've heard ..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 pm NO, NO. NO start at the bottom!!.

It's REALLY easy. No knife, no cutting, no nothing.

Ideally, have the dash out.

Assuming the windshield has been 're' installed as designed, it is a non-gunk fit.

Just lift up the weatherstripping, (screwdriver or whatever) and gently push the bottom of the windsheid stripping over the frame. Once the bottom is out, the rest will slide out (down).

Check the weather stripping out CAREFULLY for cracks, hardness etc.

Since, IN MY WORLD, unless absolutely necessary for repeated removal, you might want to consider new weather stripping - kinda while there - do there, either way check the teck wiki for installation instructions.

Just make sure you put the stainless stuff (well buffed) in BEFORE installation. It will NOT go in afterwards.
why the bottom ? isn't that where it sits as u do the other sides ? I'mma going to wait im thinking on this until I can get glass if it breaks . but it's hard to get help here where I live . impossible actually . so this first time alone may cost too much in the end , dang it ! time to check my patience box and see if it's full... haha im not a good waiter on things .

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

Lorna, start at the bottom BECAUSE the window is shaped the way it is, i.e. narrower at top than bottom. And once bottom is open, the windshield will just slide out.

Clearly, TWO people are better than ONE, but ONE can do it.

And on replacement, you start inserting at the TOP, for similar logic.

BTW, the strips are STAINLESS, not chrome, so just take them all out, settle down with a good bottle of red, a good movie (LAwrence of Arabia is an appropriate amount of time) and just start buffing. Start with the least aggressive paper (2000 - 2500) or 'rouge and see what is left. then get more aggressive in small increments. apparently 'small' scratches can in fact be quite deep, relatively.

I always use the 'string' that Home Depot supplies for you to fasten completely unwieldly loads that people insist on <G> and coated with some silicone spray, makes the whole thing much easier. The second person (ideally) should be making sure that the shiny bits don't fall out.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 am Lorna, start at the bottom BECAUSE the window is shaped the way it is, i.e. narrower at top than bottom. And once bottom is open, the windshield will just slide out.

Clearly, TWO people are better than ONE, but ONE can do it.

And on replacement, you start inserting at the TOP, for similar logic.

BTW, the strips are STAINLESS, not chrome, so just take them all out, settle down with a good bottle of red, a good movie (LAwrence of Arabia is an appropriate amount of time) and just start buffing. Start with the least aggressive paper (2000 - 2500) or 'rouge and see what is left. then get more aggressive in small increments. apparently 'small' scratches can in fact be quite deep, relatively.

I always use the 'string' that Home Depot supplies for you to fasten completely unwieldly loads that people insist on <G> and coated with some silicone spray, makes the whole thing much easier. The second person (ideally) should be making sure that the shiny bits don't fall out.
I wish I was the second person not the #1 on this . I'm still very nervous about this operation . maybe too nervous to do it . idk yet . it won't stop raining enough to see.. and this is my existing trim /gasket whatever .. if I know it was this bad under the Stainless , I'd never started it yet ... But ....I did . I still need a video to see this action done . I can do allot if I see it first is all .. and not seeing it "
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oops hit send before I was done ..
but not seeing it yet still , I'm on the fence still about it . . oh boy , another adventure I've gotten myself into ... . still holding untill I have a strong feeling one way or the other ..I just dono yet . ugh

bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I guess I’m missing something here? I thought you were removing the windshield to replace the seal/gasket? If so, I don’t understand these overly-complicated removal instructions. Simply cut the gasket away from the windshield with a razor blade and just take the windshield out. Taking it out is the easy part, it’s putting it back in that’s the tricky/hard, potentially disasterous, part. I’ve done this job. What am I missing here?
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

bakerjf wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm I’ve done this job. What am I missing here?
FEAR

You are correct that cutting the old seal and replacing it is the easy way out. Old seals take too much pressure to get back in the frame.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

fj20spl311 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 pm
bakerjf wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm I’ve done this job. What am I missing here?
FEAR

You are correct that cutting the old seal and replacing it is the easy way out. Old seals take too much pressure to get back in the frame.
:lol: Ok...
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Lorna,
Bring your windshield to Solvang, we will install it.
Peter Harrison
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

mraitch wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 pm Lorna,
Sounds like an awesome solution! And that's why this is the best community around :D
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 pm Lorna,
REALLY ? REALLY !? oh boy that makes me feel better . but it'll be in/ on the car still ? is that ok ?? if I take it out for paint , I won't get it back in I'm thinking.. we can video it going out this way .. and in .. but mostly out .. there's no out , out there .. haha I think I did some more crying in the comments before I read this part .. WhOoHoO ! ok . breath . what's next ..
.... oh yeah . paint and put poor rumble back together again .. he's getting depressed sitting here all naked and cold .. hopefully tomorrow I'll start paint .. it's kinda hard to fix filler while raining so we'll see how things end up in the morning .... oh boy thx !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh good . my whining txt I had didn't post .. haha . well I guess that's the end of this post thread thing then ... maybe .. I may still attempt this . we'll see .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

i found a good video that starts at the bottom middle removal and install . looks like something i could do ! . now i can see it's not too bad really .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

this is a professional ?
this isn't the way I want to do it !

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

I believe that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get the moulding in after glass is installed.
Peter Harrison