windshield removal

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

windshield removal

Post by Lorna c »

hey I've seen lots of talk about removing the windshield on here but no videos ? can someone show me a link pls?
so far I've gotten the chrome trim off but that might not have been the bead thing to do yet ? anyway I've also tourn the trim up top on the outside ..ugh .. now what do I do ? I'm thinking I need to order new trim but can't spend 200$ on this .. so any ideas for me ? thinking call a guy but I'll need the trim first right ? or do they have some ? idk
I think I messed up . it wasn't leaking but looked like hell ...
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: windshield removal

Post by bakerjf »

Oooh, you’re going to want to have that professionally installed by someone familiar with our type of trim. The guy I found was an expert, but basically made me waive liability if even he broke it puttIng it back in (which he didn’t).

As far as taking it out, I remember just running a razor blade around the front of the windshield and gently popping the windshield out. Be careful!! So expensive...
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Lorna Lorna Lorna. How good are you with a Stanley knife?
Yeah me neither.
You will need 2 large flat blade scwerdrivers. File the sharp edges on the tip smooth, maybe .020”.
Remove wiper arms.
Remove the visors.
Remove the rear view mirror.
Fold the top back.
Remove the steering wheel.
Shift the car into 3rd gear.
Start at the upper center. Pull the upper edge of the gasket down, and tuck it between the pinch weld and the outer/forward edge of the gasket. If youre a righty, use your left hand to steady the tip of the screwdriver, right hand on the handle.
Here is where it gets tricky, if the tuck doesnt remain tucked, you will need to hold it with 1 screwdriver, and start another tuck with the other. Dont shove it in so far that you chip the glass. Work your way around down the sides. No need to tuck the lower section of the gasket.
Gently push the top and sides fwd. light constant pressure!!! It will “peel”away.
Dont let the glass crash down against the hood.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

pebbles wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 pm Lorna Lorna Lorna. How good are you with a Stanley knife?
Yeah me neither.
You will need 2 large flat blade scwerdrivers. File the sharp edges on the tip smooth, maybe .020”.
Remove wiper arms.
Remove the visors.
Remove the rear view mirror.
Fold the top back.
Remove the steering wheel.
Shift the car into 3rd gear.
Start at the upper center. Pull the upper edge of the gasket down, and tuck it between the pinch weld and the outer/forward edge of the gasket. If youre a righty, use your left hand to steady the tip of the screwdriver, right hand on the handle.
Here is where it gets tricky, if the tuck doesnt remain tucked, you will need to hold it with 1 screwdriver, and start another tuck with the other. Dont shove it in so far that you chip the glass. Work your way around down the sides. No need to tuck the lower section of the gasket.
Gently push the top and sides fwd. light constant pressure!!! It will “peel”away.
Dont let the glass crash down against the hood.
not that I'm ready to go for that yet ,, is this cutting the rubber or slipping between two of them , and , am I on the inside the entire time or out then in ? I think I understand what you mean partly , obviously .. but so far I'm leaning towards a Jerry rig modification fix .. is there only basically a cut out and have new handy deal ? and why oh why is the replacement $200 ? I'd bet if they were cheaper people would be switching out these ugly ild crusty things allot more .. and not just once . haha wow . much leaning to a fix idea with gasket maker .. black .. then slip in the trim ..set and done .. haha I wanted to remove for paint and new trim until It may be that much to swap . at least that's how I feel about it on today's budget.. but or can one put this window in like other windows and it'll work ? like gooze that stuff and slap the trim on before it's set and have it set in it locking it in (the chrome trim ) ??

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Very difficult if not impossible to get the trim back in with the windshield installed.
Jerry would NOT be proud :smt018
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

pebbles wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm Very difficult if not impossible to get the trim back in with the windshield installed.
Jerry would NOT be proud :smt018
no , these things have been in so long I think they'll walk in themselves .. haha but it actually slides right in the way it sits now . not having removed the windshield yet . I start on one side slipping the rales into the groove . a little push from the end and it slides rt back in . what im wanting to do is use gasket maker to fill in my tear , or reattach it , then slide the chrome back and pretend I never thought about removing this windshield .. haha erase the last 2 days of pondering and call it a weekend . oh wait , it's Monday . sigh . well , I could pretend I did a great job and I'mma finished .. haha but im still pondering what to do.. if the repair job looks ok , and I know it's still waterproof . but these were /are ugly and trying to crack up on the edge .. soooo . liquid rubber fill in maybe from my roofing repair pile in the garage .. maybe .. I guess we'll see how that turns out then figure out if $400 is going to be spent sooner than later .. I'll keep posted .. hey ,

"" So the only way to remove this windshield is to 'Cut it out '? and destroy the rubber that's in there ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

and hey , me and Jerry , we're tight .. haha and
it's not a jerry rig , it's modified ! haha
no , but ya never know .. this may turn out as good as my dash idea ! ¿ never know .. I really don't have the fonds rt now for new rubber and an installer who may break my window and add to my expenses even more . so I'll absolutely try to " pretty it up" first
but , another big question ,
now say someone removes the window from cutting from the outside only , the inside part of this molding rubber stuff would stay put bonded to the frame , ok , now stay with me im new to windows , ok so u have that ledge inside nice and strong still . now this person goozes that stuff they sell for windshields making it bond the window to that back ledge rubber left from the cuting out the rest . remember idk what im talking about here ,if this is even possible or what things look like without window . ok so now the window has been placed in how other windshields are , kinda . now window taped to not droop during the set , gooze more to the outside and around the corners so it will bond to the other u goozed that's nondes to the car and only rubber backing . then after that works , gooze more to the outside in order to push on the chrome trim and squish it a bit in order to get that material into the channels locking them in nicely . and before it sets up smooth off any showing gooze material all nice like it's the proper rubber ?? can that happen ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

AND WHY DOESNT ANYONE POST THE ACTUAL REMOVAL OF THE WINDSHIELD ?
do they forget , or not want the "possible break" to be filmed ?? I only say side windows being popped out on vw vans . never a windshield , oh wait , I saw one guy using some fishing line remove it , but that's it . nobody down in the front seat using their feet to push . or however y'all get those out . but is that why ?

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

i wanna see a pic or vid of you putting that trim back in :wink: :wink:
David

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

NO, NO. NO start at the bottom!!.

It's REALLY easy. No knife, no cutting, no nothing.

Ideally, have the dash out.

Assuming the windshield has been 're' installed as designed, it is a non-gunk fit.

Just lift up the weatherstripping, (screwdriver or whatever) and gently push the bottom of the windsheid stripping over the frame. Once the bottom is out, the rest will slide out (down).

Check the weather stripping out CAREFULLY for cracks, hardness etc.

Since, IN MY WORLD, unless absolutely necessary for repeated removal, you might want to consider new weather stripping - kinda while there - do there, either way check the teck wiki for installation instructions.

Just make sure you put the stainless stuff (well buffed) in BEFORE installation. It will NOT go in afterwards.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bobd »

This:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... Windshield

From the WIKI is the only information I could ever find.

Of course, I found the info AFTER I cracked my windshield trying to remove it!

It was not easy to find someone to install the new one. My 350Z windshield needed replacement, so a small windshield shop was willing to do a twofer.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

mraitch wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 pm
Just make sure you put the stainless stuff (well buffed) in BEFORE installation.
I left the top corners out as relief. Dint wanna wreck the $500 glass. Spent two days puttin them 2 corner bits in :shock: totally forgot to polish the trim before install :oops:
David

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I did not read all this thread, but the best way to remove the windshield is CUT the rubber and replace it.

The trim should be installed into the rubber seal before the windshield is installed.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

pebbles wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm i wanna see a pic or vid of you putting that trim back in :wink: :wink:
ok . but u do know the window hasn't come out yet rite ? it's sitting there as it was when I pulled off the chrome .. and did u want all of it or just one piece ? because I'll wait until it's time for all to go in if that's the case .. still need to buff them up ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

bobd wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 am This:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... Windshield

From the WIKI is the only information I could ever find.

Of course, I found the info AFTER I cracked my windshield trying to remove it!

It was not easy to find someone to install the new one. My 350Z windshield needed replacement, so a small windshield shop was willing to do a twofer.
that's what I saw on a few sites with VWs squeeze in glass . and a fishing line to remove or something .. but I like this method .. But im worried about install and crack . don't want to buy a new glass just yet ..
this was only to make paint cleaner and replace the molding rubber part . but 200$ isn't even close to what im willnng to pay for stupid rubber . and I understand it's being made special and good rubber etc . but until I "have to" im thing to opt out of the removal im leaning towards . it's hard enough to do this work alone , but to add 700+$ to this isn't in my near future :-( if not an emergency anyway . like window broke by rock or something .. haha bummer too ....