AGM vs traditional batteries. Are AGM better?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: AGM vs traditional batteries. Are AGM better?

Post by Linda »

Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

Just run a nicad battery out of a jet airplane! Lots of cca’s, this thing would jump start a semi-truck <insert Tim Allen grunt>
78C4E277-A25A-41FC-BF0B-66410D7A1CFC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

If a lithium ion battery could be safely used as a retrofit for a standard primary battery that would open so many options! A battery the size of a smartphone could start the car. I use a portable lithium ion jumper pack at ny work, it will start completely dead batteries no problem and can slide into my coat pocket.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by greydog »

Amazon and your wallet= 600 cca in less than 6 x 6 x 6.
https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batt ... tery&psc=1

Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
brn2rde
Roadster Fanatic

Post by brn2rde »

Well now. A topic that I can contribute to. I am a tech at batterystuff.com where we sell batteries, chargers and related stuff. Is AGM better? For our cars, sure can't hurt. Just the lack of off-gassing means less corrosion, and a much reduced chance of leakage. So big plus there. As far as performance? CCA is CCA, no matter the format so you will not see much difference there. As far as lithium, I will be running one of these Harley sized batteries in our car when finished. https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/ ... 2-fpp.html Yeah, kind of overkill, but if voltage is correct(it is) you cannot overdo available power.

We have a number of hot rodders that are using these with great success in small block v8's. Technically speaking you should see about 6-8 years before they are chemically 'done'. But, your dropoff curve is much more flat than a comparable lead based battery. Advantage lithium right to the end of its service life. Again, though, CCA is CCA so shop accordingly. Of course lithium and CCA don't really go together, but the ratings are very equivalent.

Edit: on the Antigravity battery. A little birdie told me that they will be adding a low-voltage protection feature in the near future. When they do, we will have those available as well. Right now, we only carry their jump packs(which work really well)
1969 1600(daughters build/car)
1967.5 1600(future project)
Just for fun-1949 Chevrolet 2d sedan, 1913 Aussie Model T fire truck, 1948 Jeepster, 1949 Bedford Ute. I might have a car problem...
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Battery University has an article on the AGM battery

Nissan had AGM's in Z's and maximas in 84 or 5, we had a couple blow up in the shop ,as I remember , definitely use a IC load/batt. tester
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Any input on Deka batteries? I read they are the same as the Braille but at a lower price...

I need to put in a good battery in mine
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I have Deka in both sand cars. 2 years, So far so good. The 67 is getting one next.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

A lot of batteries are actually made by deka.
It's a good brand. I have a big group 31 agm (rv/semi battery) in my Tacoma truck, it's a Duracell brand battery but is actually a relabeled deka. Its been in there for 4 years so far no problems.
Dan
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Whats a good CCA to be looking for? I thought ~300 was the number, but many of the Deka's are in the >200 range. Someone also mentioned the Group Size, any tips here?

My car has no stereo so Im not worried about needing something hardcore. Minimal requirements, just need it to be good, light and not die after a few years.
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

2mAn wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 pm Whats a good CCA to be looking for? I thought ~300 was the number, but many of the Deka's are in the >200 range. Someone also mentioned the Group Size, any tips here?

My car has no stereo so Im not worried about needing something hardcore. Minimal requirements, just need it to be good, light and not die after a few years.
Pretty sure the sand cars are 550-600 (4cyls). Much cooler temps here in fall and spring however.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

2mAn wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 pm Whats a good CCA to be looking for? I thought ~300 was the number, but many of the Deka's are in the >200 range. Someone also mentioned the Group Size, any tips here?

In theory the battery is only needed for starting the engine, once running your alternator takes over, so having a stereo or other accessories doesn't really matter unless you plan on using them with the engine off. I would look for the highest cca available in the size battery your looking for. If your engine starts easily this is less critical but regardless it's better to have more than needed than less.

These days typical automotive batteries are pretty much all the same and you can expect 2-5 years service and feel special if you get more! In my line of work I've seen plenty of oe batteries last 13 years or longer, I've also seen plenty die at 2 years.

Currently I have a group 51r battery in my roadster (1500 so under the rear seat) they are small, about half the size of a group 27 battery. It works great! 500 cca and 85 minute reserve capacity.
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-51
Dan
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

I had a group 53 battery in my car that lasted 5-6 years (forgot to check the fluid in it). Trouble is the early roadster 53 battery has low cca and is pricey to replace IF you can find one. Early Corvairs use them so they're out there. I switched to the 51r battery and bought a used civic battery tray for it and it looks like it belongs there. When it dies I might consider an AGM but frankly I'm really happy with power provided now over the 53.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
devo
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

Group 51r with the Honda battery tray and hold down bracket, in my '66. Tons of power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Toptech360 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:12 am comparing agm vs flooded batteries is very similar to comparing synthetic oil to conventional oil...agm is premium technology with improved performance qualities that may or may not be of any real benefit when considering the premium price.

I run a large (group 31) agm battery in my Toyota truck. Its got a winch and other accessories and I rely on the truck in severe weather and in remote areas so I wanted the best. All my other vehicles have premium regular flooded cell batteries.

Optima batteries have been made by Johnson controls for several years now. The people that sold optima still make premium top end batteries under the name odyssey batteries. Premium battery premium price!

Most battery brands are made by a few different manufacturers. They are all rebadged mostly. These days 3-5 years is average life though I still see batteries 8-14 years old that still work. like most things the worse thing for a battery is to let it sit...
So after reading this thread I It looks like everyone likes Odyssey. Plus it has a very nice mount available for the little guys. What Odyssey would you be looking at?
Michael Montez