General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Found another one, need 2000 timing advice

Post by bossbob »

Found a 69 2000 it's rough, just like I like them but a really nice body, super straight with only surface rust, doable for me. We hooked up a battery and it turns freely but doesn't start. Owner has been working on the timing chains to see if he could get it running. The valve cover is cracked right above where the chain would go, he said that's common when the chain is thrown. His best answer is that after the chain was thrown the head was probably rebuilt and milled at the same time, whoever installed it probably didn't know that he had to install shims to get the cam in the right position for the cam sprocket and chain tension. Does this sound right? He seems very knowledgeable about the roadsters, and as of now I have no reason to not trust him.

Either way, is this something to dive into, or stay away from. I think I would pull the engine and really look at the top end?

The 69 comes with a 68 parts car. He says it's a running 1600 but we didn't start it. A boat load of extra parts, including 67 front spindles, a-arms, koni shocks, 70 hood, trunk lid, doors, 2 soft top frames, extra rear end complete, plus an axle housing and leaf springs, B - Cam that has surface rust, brand new top, re-chromed rear bumper and headlight rings, dash cap, luggage rack, 67 carbs and intake, and the spare tire cover which he seemed proud to have. A couple boxes of parts including rear lights, and such some parts really good, to really not so good.

Missing parts; chrome spears, front bumper, original jack, jack hole covers, soft parts of the interior, carpet, rear storage area, so far that I can see with my limited knowledge. Front drivers fender near the headlight has some damage, and I would replace that fender.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot about the roadsters, my thought process right now, is to buy the pkg. strip the 68 (it's really bad) use the best of everything to build the 69. Then sell, trade, and donate the extra parts to help finance the build.

I really need some advice on the 2000 engine before I pull the trigger on this one. I know anything can be fixed, but what don't I know??????

I have a lot of pictures of it.

Thanks again,
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Found another one, need 2000 timing advice

Post by notoptoy »

The seller does appear to have good knowledge of the Roadster, everything he mentioned was legitimate. That doesn't tell you the condition of the engine however, and only a tear down will be definitive. Like you said, anything can be fixed, if the price is right I would jump on this.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

This might be an advantage. My first Roadsters had a timing chain failure with the PO and so I got an engine with all new timing components which are very expensive on U20s.
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Does it crank slowly or fast. You should be able to get an idea of the compression of the engine from the way it cranks with a charged battery. Is it very fast => low compression, is it smooth/even => equal compression. Jerky => one or two cylinder with low compression. Put the engine on 20 degrees BTDC and check to see if the points are read to open. Remove the coil wire, apply 12V to the coil and open the points to check the spark.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Our vendors can help if your head has been cut (depending on the amount and your goal). Many sell the shims that go under the cam towers, Dean sells a thicker head gasket which may put your cam back at the correct height with nothing more than the gasket change, and Jim (JT) sells an adjustable cam so you can correct the cam timing (he also has some heavy duty chains). As others have said, your best bet may be (tear down), at least remove the head and verify the chains and sprockets yourself....at this point you would be out the head gasket and a few others gaskets like the timing cover, WP, and such. Better to know, verify, and learn a little about your engine. Scott's books and this forum make it easy to work on the engine yourself...good luck.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Cam geometry is very mysterious dark art in my opinion. It took me multiple different lash pads thickness and lots of fiddling with shims to get everything acceptably close. If I had to do it all over again I would send my whole head off to JT (JT86). Jim knows these things better than anyone and he can send you back a beautiful, ready to drop on head. You will save yourself a lot of headache and possibly even money (ordering the wrong lash pads gets expensive)
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Thanks everyone, the engine turns over at a normal speed indicating good compression, of course once I get it, I'd do a complete compression test. I guess my concern at this point is only what it will take to get the cam chains in order so it runs. As some have mentioned the timing components can get quite expensive. Don't really want to do a complete tear down, but if I get this deal, and if that's whats needed, then that's what I'll do.

Like FJ said, I would at least start by bringing everything to TDC, check the chains, distributor, and what ever else needs to line up with TDC and see what happens. From there I would have to decide to follow some of the other advice.

I'll let you know if this deal comes through.

Thanks again
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
bossbob
Site Supporter

Post by bossbob »

Made my offer today, seller said after unwrapping the car and all the parts got him re-motivated and he's thinking about keeping it. He also said, if he doesn't do anything by the end of the year he would sell it to me.

I guess the hunt continues.............
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

bossbob wrote:Made my offer today, seller said after unwrapping the car and all the parts got him re-motivated and he's thinking about keeping it. He also said, if he doesn't do anything by the end of the year he would sell it to me.

Oh yeah, Ive experienced this more than I can count. :roll: It'll probably get torn down some and then allowed to rust the internals.

Where in the OC are you located? There is a growing group of us down near Laguna Beach, Aliso Veijo,Laguna Hills, Ladera Ranch, Oceanside etc.
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

bossbob wrote:Made my offer today, seller said after unwrapping the car and all the parts got him re-motivated and he's thinking about keeping it. He also said, if he doesn't do anything by the end of the year he would sell it to me.

Ah, that sucks. Sorry. Keep hunting, you'll find the right one.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv