shocks . / struts / shock observers

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

shocks . / struts / shock observers

Post by Lorna c »

ok I've read some and understand enuf to have gone looked some up but one big question pls

now do we put in a strut or shock in these cars and does it matter which or a shock absorbers?
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: shocks . / struts / shock observers

Post by fj20spl311 »

The car only have shocks, struts are for a different type of suspension.
The rears are very easy. The fronts require different amount of disassembly depending on the brand.
Shocks are one of the most highly debated subjects on sports cars.....maybe all cars.
Standard front shocks require lifting the care, removing the 3 bolts for the mounting plate on the bottom of the a-frame and the upper mount. Some brands are too large to fit through the hole when the 3 bolt plate is removed.....then the fun begins.

I am sure there are lots of pictures related to mounting shocks.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Also search the WIKI for "shocks" for instructions
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

shoot I'm sure the front get the most wear no ? and that was what I was going to start on until I read these .lol . it sounds like the back go in easily . I hope the wiki mentions which don't fit into the holes . I don't want to do too much .lol. right . ok just beginning this investigation so it'll be in stages to complete thanks y'all .

ct06033
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by ct06033 »

I would check the tech forum, there have been some pretty lengthy discussions about the best shocks to use etc recently. I would just say, get the best you can afford. It will definitely pay off.
2016 Audi TTS
2005 Honda S2000
1968 Datsun 1600
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Lorna c wrote:shoot I'm sure the front get the most wear no ?
IMHO, I would install all four if they are very old.
The "old school" check for shocks is get some of your friends to push down on the front or rear and then release. If the body comes up slowly and stops without bouncing then they are good, if very little bounce then serviceable.

The fronts have a lot to do with handling and the rears have a lot to do with ride.
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

fj20spl311 wrote:
Lorna c wrote:shoot I'm sure the front get the most wear no ?
IMHO, I would install all four if they are very old.
The "old school" check for shocks is get some of your friends to push down on the front or rear and then release. If the body comes up slowly and stops without bouncing then they are good, if very little bounce then serviceable.

The fronts have a lot to do with handling and the rears have a lot to do with ride.
I'll do that . thank you ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok they bounce

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

My shocks and struts came in today, whOoHoO !! don't worry I'll be hiring out for this job , I'm pretty sure .I haven't gotten any quotes yet though .. haha .. no I don't think I'd want to get under and fight these things ... we're all safe from these coming in with 100 questions to y'all ... I'd bet we'd get er done though ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 pm My shocks and struts came in today, whOoHoO !! don't worry I'll be hiring out for this job , I'm pretty sure .I haven't gotten any quotes yet though .. haha .. no I don't think I'd want to get under and fight these things ... we're all safe from these coming in with 100 questions to y'all ... I'd bet we'd get er done though ..

Don't fight them! Just knock them off with the blue wrench. Zap Hiss Zing gone. ten minutes. Sure you'll git 'er done!
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

The rear *should* be easy....

What kind are they?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:45 pm
Lorna c wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 pm My shocks and struts came in today, whOoHoO !! don't worry I'll be hiring out for this job , I'm pretty sure .I haven't gotten any quotes yet though .. haha .. no I don't think I'd want to get under and fight these things ... we're all safe from these coming in with 100 questions to y'all ... I'd bet we'd get er done though ..

Don't fight them! Just knock them off with the blue wrench. Zap Hiss Zing gone. ten minutes. Sure you'll git 'er done!
[/quote
heck no . unless it's redirculous amount to pay someone /some place . I really don't want to do these mainly because I so messy and I'm beat from the dash that I accomplished nothing ! except it looking sick after I coated it .. love the way it turned out . but I may have sticker shock when I get a price or two for install .. I hope it's cheap . haha yeah rite .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

2mAn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:25 pm The rear *should* be easy....

What kind are they?
idk actually . I just ordered whatever I found that had what I hope is everything I need for front and back . I'll go look . haha haven't even opened them yet ... what ¿ .. haha I don't even know what struts are to be honest . but I have some . haha I've read there's allot of fight in the rear ones no? ... I don't even know where I bought them from but the way my shocks are now , I'm sure it'll be an improvement ..

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

The rear is a big nut at the top and a smaller one at the bottom. The trouble comes from old worn parts not wanting to cooperate with being replaced. That was my problem
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

2mAn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:14 am The rear is a big nut at the top and a smaller one at the bottom. The trouble comes from old worn parts not wanting to cooperate with being replaced. That was my problem
sounds like another hand wrench to me. lol .. I got these kind . hope they're rite and last the rest of my life . haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.