"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: spray chrome pros / cons

Post by notoptoy »

Looks pretty good.
Questions/observations
1) There is a whole lot of "run-off" or waste, is it toxic?
2) Not sure of the durability
3) They started with a "perfect" piece of metal, if you are trying to cover pits, it will probably not look as good, you may only end up with shiny pits.
4) Does the part need to be painted black to start?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Lorna,
That is Hydro Plating Silver. Its a seven element process that is very much like the reverse of mirror plating.

From my reading and knowledge of Chemistry, this is what I think is happening........LOL......I did organic chemistry, drug research, for a living, not inorganic chemistry, so I could be wrong.
First they add a polar layer and rinse off the excess,
The main unit is a dual sprayer that mixes Silver Nitrate solution and a reducer - I think they are using Sodium Hydroxide Solution that causes the silver to plate out of the mixture.
Neutralize and dry the plated layer, they clear coat.

I have read there are lots of problems with little details causing failure of adhesion of the layers and yellowing of the final clear coat.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Hazardous YES
Has to be coated with catalyzed clear coat......primer should also be catalyzed.
As with all coating, the prep determines the maximum quality.
From what I read, you get different effects from different base colors. Black or white are the extremes.
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

How much is chroming these days?
In 92? When I did mine I checked into the 2 main places in kc the 1st was backed up with loads of harley parts ,he said 3,4 months til he could do it , a bit better at #2 , they said $149 minimum, the place I went with had a 20 yr old kid doing it , I needed the headlite bezels ,the rear lite bezels /mounts the top clips , he did it for $85 and took much time on the head light bezels as they rusted through
he was a Datsun fan but unaware of the Roadster
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

If I wanted to DYI, I would set-up powder coating station, using a infrared lamp or junk electric stove.

There are chrome powder coating powders that when protected with clear powder coat are between good chrome and 67.5 brushed chrome.
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I know one of these videos I watched they mentioned something about the controlled wast of chroming vs this newer stuff. less on the new . . I also saw something about it's metal leaf made to lay flat every time .. not flake where it tipped all sideways and crooked , making the infamous metallic look . I haven't gotten to the part where it explains it's compounds or makings , but, actually I know nothing about it . apparently it's pretty new .. kinda cool though . I'm noticing some other kinds of applications for it with paint color involved.. I think thinner coatings of the chrome to allow paint to show but turns it chrome like . black especially looks hot ! I'd bet hot oink would too ... haha oh the new fun coming out now days ...
:wink:

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Lorna c wrote: controlled wast of chroming vs this newer stuff. less on the new
That's their way of saying it HAZARDOUS, but may not kill your neighbors.
Chrome Plating is VERY HAZARDOUS
Phil
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

It is all hazardous. Your lungs are not meant to suck in particles of anything, chrome, paint,dirt, wool,coal, smoke etc. There are actually names to describe those lung conditions. Lungs can cough out some stuff but just like a car filter , the gunk accumulates then there can be problems.
Protect your lungs :)
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh boy and how . I was using that steel wool scrubbers and man wear a mask with that . those little pieces were almost floating around .I could feel them in my throat after .. but I know I said the newer is less not none . haha protection is something I do need to practice better . I didn't great at work (dental) but not this so much ..

tdbob1
Roadster Newby

Post by tdbob1 »

There is no substitute for chrome plating, it is much more reflective and durable. I used the Alsa spray chrome, http://alsacorp.com, when I operated a wheel repair business. It's basically very fine aluminum particles suspended in a medium. A black gloss base coat is sprayed and throughly dried before a misted coating of the "chrome" is applied. After this dries, a clear coat adds the gloss and durability. The reflectivity is about 80-90% of plating. If you try it to repair chrome plating, it will look much duller. They have a newer version, which I haven't tried.

Spray chrome should not be expected to work well in high wear areas as it can chip.

Water based chrome systems have better reflectivity, but still are not as bright as plating.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

that sounds about right , from what I'm gathering . it needs to be black first then it's more effective . but boy it's getting close . when something new comes along you got to allow time for the not yet diagnosed problems to come .. then improvement ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

spags1986 wrote:This forum makes me spend to much money. I am at the process now of needing to restore bits and pieces of my roadster, I just purchased the plating kit after reading this thread.
good luck ! let me see your finished product..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I've been scrubbing the heck out of my bumper and m getting good results now .. I'll post when done . it's taking weeks because it has so much on the muffler side . . not rushing it . it's taking many many times .