best oil additive

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: best oil additive

Post by Lorna c »

different chemistry I guess . not cheap . I couldn't imagine using only that stuff it would be $200+ an oil change .haha the tvt can come into your gas too and everywhere elce it says . but my my I'll take one pls . which acts the same but any cheaper than 25$ a quart?
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Toptech360 wrote:Have you ever stopped and reread any of your posts out loud word for word Lorna? :smt006
no .. sometimes , and they usually suck ..so I stopped .. hahaha hahaha

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

redroadster wrote:
Toptech360 wrote:Have you ever stopped and reread any of your posts out loud word for word Lorna? :smt006
Dyslexic not you are ?
idk .. never diagnosed . I think when I read them , well I don't read them .maybe that's the problem . haha huh ... hummm ok then . that might help . :smt021 :smt021 :smt026 ok so read before submit ! then what'll be my excuse if they still suck ! hahaha :smt067 :smt043

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

dbrick wrote:Brad Penn gets raves, it's based on the old Kendall green oil. I use Rotella diesel oil in the Roadster, as I have leaks, Mobil 1 extended in the truck.
The only additive I've ever heard of actually doing anything is Lucas Transmission Fix in a Datsun 5 speed. His syncros started working better and whine is gone. Long term is hard to say but alternative was remove and rebuild, so worse case it extends it.
Most people with any knowledge on oils seem to think the additives, on their own may not be bad, but can mess up the additive package the oil manufacturer uses.
What always made me wonder was the fact that I've never seen an additive made by a company that also makes oil, except Lucas.

BTW, Lucas publishes ZDDP contenthttps://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf

you know , I never thought about it not mixing well with all oils and such . I've used a touch of Lucas and the zink but not at the same time . I couldn't find zink so that's when I grabbed the Lucas . . but that's something to ask around about . to see what's proven the test of time . good call . I guess I better figure out what oil I have used or have inside my car like I was asked .. !

Doneri
Forum Newb

Post by Doneri »

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.
Im doing a study on Engine Oil and its various options available in the North American geography. I was going through most of the available brands, such as Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Mobil, and Valvoline. I went through Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and Product Data Sheet (PDS).

I could understand that there are certain types of engine oils available in the market like conventional engine oils, extra-mileage oils, and fully synthetic engine oil; all available in different viscosity grades (10W30 etc.)

But as I was going through the specifications and other details, I was surprised that none of the manufacturer has disclosed that what kind of additives are being added in the product.

Taking Castrol GTX 5W20 https://mechanicguides.com/best-oil-additive/ as an example, I could very well read that the base-oil forms about 85-95% of the engine oil, while rest is attributed to different additives. Though there was no mention about any additive, but some of the commonly used additives are dispersant, detergents, friction reducers, antioxidants, etc.

I was left inquisitive regarding the additives being added, as in which dispersant or detergent is going in the engine oil which is being used by the user. But as of now, I've failed to find any information regarding the kind of additive or the actual chemical or their % contribution in the engine oil.

A help from an engine guru on this aspect will be highly useful; or even if you are not a guru then your opinion on this topic will be interesting.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

haha just like the food here . It doesn't even have to be 51% anymore to be called 100% . Anyway even Castro itself couldn't answer these questions ? Like can't you email them somehow now days ? That's a good question because some things don't mix well I'm noticing . And additives are no exception .. interesting to see if anyone knows this one . I think I'll ask around also on this to some peeps I know that know allot/some on this subject ..

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I don't claim to be an engine guru, but my opinion as a conservative is that the 5-15% of the oil which the additive package makes up is what differentiates one oil from another. The manufacturers spend megabucks researching new additives, in the hopes that they can get a return on their investment, so major developments in additives can be protected by patent. Developments of less importance or just the changes in the blend can be protected by being left as "proprietary" on the SDS. It is the same in many industries.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Years ago, I worked in a couple of auto parts stores. This was during the time when Quaker State was getting a bad rap for sludge. I have known many people who use Quaker State exclusively with no problems. At 100,000 plus miles the valve covers look brand new inside. In talking to a QS rep, I learned that the additives sometimes are not compatible with other brands - that is what caused the sludging problem - mixing oils. In talking with people that had sludge issues, they invariably ran whatever oil they could get, and often also ran without a thermostat. Find a brand and stick with it.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

Doneri,
Have a look at the MSDS for the Driven Hot Rod oil, which is a "high zinc synthetic".
It tells you the specific name of the Zinc additive as well as the Alkylphenol...which is their detergent.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/skin/fro ... 15W-50.pdf
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

I remember once at the Datsun dealer, a tech changed the oil and backed out with oil spewing out leaving a trail,
The guys saying you idiot you left the plug loose or filter
But it turned out to be the rope seal with different oil brands...so there is that
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
dads311
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by dads311 »

Bringing it up one more time.
I have been reading in the forum about motor oils. My new motor is coming due for an oil change and I wanted to know what is being used and why. I know there are a thousand different opinions out there. I have always been a Valvoline user and will stay one. That is neither here nor there. Any way I see there are many people on this site using VR1, the 10w30 flavor is what I am more than likely going to use but I wanted a bit more info. Searching the "ol' interweb" I came across this three year old article. I'm not exactly sure of the testing method he employed, but the fact is was repeated multiple times on each oil and on each of the different oils and additives tested he was able to come up with these results. I found it to be an interesting article.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread. ... *Good-read***
Just an FYI
Mike
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... st-ranking/

It's a whole lot O reading. A lot of it pretty darn convincing, written by the same guy.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

As noted, I am running Valvoline VR1 10/30. I had serious cam wear problems multiple times with the rockers and cam disintegrating (chunks out of the pad) when I was running reground rockers (supposedly properly reground locally) on my Racer Brown cam. I don't think it was due to the oil as it happened with Castrol, Mobile 1 etc. as well. I was very concerned and strongly considered a spray bar, especially since I was transitioning back to my even more radical Isky cam. I got new rockers and after a lot of research (pros and cons) I added Liqu Moly's Ceretec product which is supposed to help protect things. I do not know if that was what did it or if it was the new rockers, but there has been absolutely no problems, and believe me, this cam has a lot of lift and not a bunch of duration which makes it even more aggressive on the rockers. I will continue to use this product. Some say you can run it up to 30k miles, but I think I will be adding it every or near every time. I only do a change a season typically as it is.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Just think of all the car blogs there are, and everyone of them has multiple discussions about oil :)
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 am Just think of all the car blogs there are, and everyone of them has multiple discussions about oil :)
Linda
I know .. why is that ? why can't oil be oil ! lol .. but seriously why would yours wear like that and others don't ? and others have their problems with this and that oil but some are successful with it ? I would think steel and such would play a part, but it seems sooooo opinionated on individuals that there has to be some large differences to support everyone's options . if that makes sense ..