best oil additive

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

best oil additive

Post by Lorna c »

hey y'all . I don't remember what I was looking up but I saw this on video where the guy tested a bearing on some pressure test thing and used oil .oil with Lucas oil with this stuff and only this stuff . I was impressed with the results as this guy was too and let us see the difference .. anyone ever use or hear of this stuff ? I'm thinking to get some asap if no one knows bad about it ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Re: best oil additive

Post by Mainer311 »

Don't waste your money. Just run a decent zinc additive and that's it.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Justice Bros brand had a interesting test back in the late 70s
They bought 4 datsun 610 ,710 old cars ,did tests on the engines put in new main &rod bearings
Then took them to the salt flats in Nevada 2 cars got there additives
There they drained the oil then ran the cars until the engines froze up the untreated cars made it 8-11 miles
The treated in the 30 to near 50 mile
We used there products at the Datsun dealer they showed this on a TV at the service clinics we had in the 80s
JB engine tuneup was the product
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Lorna what brand/type of oil are you currently using?
General rule is modern oils do not need additives and using them can likely reduce their protection abilities. Also be careful with zinc (zddp) additives more is not better, and it can be tricky figuring out the right amount to add.

I would suggest using a quality 10w30 oil and be done with it. The more you read the more you will find contradicting opinions about oil. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

One of the main reasons back then to use a additive was the cast iron piston ring , which wears easily and wore down the cly. Then moly rings came in to use which are easier on both
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

If you don't mind the extra cost, Valvoline VR1 is a racing oil with zinc already added. You could just run this stuff as-is:

https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/racing-oil-faq
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

Mainer311 wrote:If you don't mind the extra cost, Valvoline VR1 is a racing oil with zinc already added. You could just run this stuff as-is:
https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/racing-oil-faq
This is what I'm using. Just switched to it when I changed the oil. From looking at the PO's service records he was having it done by his local mechanic, so I don't know what was in it before. For the time being I plan on sticking with this and not going the additive route.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Toptech360 wrote:Lorna what brand/type of oil are you currently using?
General rule is modern oils do not need additives and using them can likely reduce their protection abilities. Also be careful with zinc (zddp) additives more is not better, and it can be tricky figuring out the right amount to add.

I would suggest using a quality 10w30 oil and be done with it. The more you read the more you will find contradicting opinions about oil. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
I don't remember the brand names, but it's always the old school oil . my mechanic who rebuilt this motor was very specific about what to use and zink ? I know he said allot about it for shaping the cam but , why are still people using it after it's broke in ? what makes zink good for our cars (roadsters) ?? I've changed my oil 4× already ..haha and learned how to do gear oil now and that's probably not one I'll over due ..haha gross stinky job . but so is oil huh .. anyway I saw demonstrations of a couple oil additives and two stood out the one I started this thread with and another the guy later found and it acted the same but you could put it in more than just your oil . it was basically all over additive and I just saw his update today and dono the name of that one .. I'll look but it was impressive watching it not seize up like the other ones did with pressure on this test thing he had . he's not pushing anything except the best so if u have something u want him to try on this test he will do it ..so . idk if once u have an oil you live , that's it but , I'm open to better if it's proven to me ya know .. but I'll try to cool the site to put here to look but idk how to fint the URL info to tap and hold . I know but I'm still kinda new on computer so ...my battery's not getting g charged well lately so that's why I'm not answering y'all quickly . and again now at 4% so got to go charge it and I'll be back

Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Have you ever stopped and reread any of your posts out loud word for word Lorna? :smt006
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Brad Penn gets raves, it's based on the old Kendall green oil. I use Rotella diesel oil in the Roadster, as I have leaks, Mobil 1 extended in the truck.
The only additive I've ever heard of actually doing anything is Lucas Transmission Fix in a Datsun 5 speed. His syncros started working better and whine is gone. Long term is hard to say but alternative was remove and rebuild, so worse case it extends it.
Most people with any knowledge on oils seem to think the additives, on their own may not be bad, but can mess up the additive package the oil manufacturer uses.
What always made me wonder was the fact that I've never seen an additive made by a company that also makes oil, except Lucas.

BTW, Lucas publishes ZDDP contenthttps://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Toptech360 wrote:Have you ever stopped and reread any of your posts out loud word for word Lorna? :smt006
Dyslexic not you are ?
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

dbrick wrote:Brad Penn gets raves, it's based on the old Kendall green oil. I use Rotella diesel oil in the Roadster, as I have leaks, Mobil 1 extended in the truck.
The only additive I've ever heard of actually doing anything is Lucas Transmission Fix in a Datsun 5 speed. His syncros started working better and whine is gone. Long term is hard to say but alternative was remove and rebuild, so worse case it extends it.
Most people with any knowledge on oils seem to think the additives, on their own may not be bad, but can mess up the additive package the oil manufacturer uses.
What always made me wonder was the fact that I've never seen an additive made by a company that also makes oil, except Lucas.

BTW, Lucas publishes ZDDP contenthttps://lucasoil.com/pdf/Zinc_Values_MotorcycleOil.pdf
I hear ya

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I still can't find the URL for utube but go to Google , hit the words : oil additives that really work
then hit the videos symbol on the top
I think it's the first vid that in the row. watch that one and then scrool down 2 I think and he has an update with tvt green additive being just as good . he did test it against Lucas and these both beat it hands down .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

here it is . my son just showed me

redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Justice bros had the same rubbing test in 1977
JB 80 too , looks exactly like CB Blaster
I have put Jeeps friction modifier in my engines and trans before , more slippery than oil
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11