polishing chrome on these cars

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: polishing chrome on these cars

Post by Lorna c »

here it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

3 out of 4 are doing good . this one's a bear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I just learned one more trick . I'm going to try it on the ugly one tomorrow and see what's up .. wish me luck I mangled it and trying to save it .

auggiemize
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by auggiemize »

As noted, tired/pitted chrome, is tired/pitted chrome. There is no panacea for old, tired chrome, except rechroming. If its just dirty, rust stained, and nasty, its cleanable. 000 steel wool and carnuba will tell you if there is anything left to clean off, but that's about it. Pits/rust start down at the steel (or zinc die-cast in some parts..) and bleeds up thru the copper, then the nickel, then finally to the chrome/surface...There is a reason why you see lots of silver/chrome painted bumpers, headlight surrounds, etc...
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Well as anyone on here who has had something chromed knows it is not cheap to have items redone. I have 4 hubcaps in right now at $125 each. A bumper will be $400. A set of stainless bumpers are $1,000.

However I can compare that to the lousy plastic bumper on my Acura that cost over $800 to repaint when we got hit in the back. Beauty does not seem to come cheap.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I wonder if soaking with EvapoRust would derust the pitting without the scrubbing. That is all you really do is clear out the rust down to bare metal, it seems. Having a good core though is important for rechroming , since some places will not straighten anything.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
RBMann
Roadsteraholic

Post by RBMann »

Chrome is like paint. Both are thin layers over metal. If you saw a rust spot in your paint you know that it will not buff out as the paint is gone and the rust is coming through from the metal underneath. All your are doing at this is removing chrome. The pits are where the chrome is gone.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

yeah . only the one i messed up bad like that thank goodness . I'm thinking of a new plan for that one . But the rest turned out great . I'll get pics in the sunlight ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

well I've added some pumice ffff to the carnauba wax and getting pleasant results . I'll post pics next .not finished yet but getting there . it will take several times but I'm beginning to see them ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

this is my back bumper where I didn't have any mirror finish anymore .. I'm pretty sure the super dullness was from the muffler heat . the rest is cleaning up nicely . more to go to get it like the front bumper but it Might just get there .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I'm thinking now maybe it's all film on top of chrome . I saw a clearance where a sticker use to be so that gave me hope it was all on top of the chrome . then another sticker spot showed up with less time on the bumper (it looked like ) that's what inspired me to go further with the cleaning of it .. I'm hoping it keeps up like it has been . I'm doing one a day "one more time " and now it's showing a but of" mirror " finish . I may be lucky and get it pretty good ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Pjackb wrote:
Lorna c wrote:
haha really ? it's 0000 ss ? anyway I got some polishing wheels just now too . haha I'll get foul and start with that. oh and coke .
Actually wouldn't be worried so much to try steel wool with coke by hand as it would probably have results similar to the aluminum foil, it's using on a drill that would be a no no for me

Also sometimes with steel wool it leaves behind some small pieces of steel wich will rust
I see what u mean with the steel wool . besides it floats up into my lungs .. I'm seeing results in my situation with the pumice powder ffff and wax . m going to use the tin foil at the end to see if it'll help the shine more if needed . I've just finished the 4th round of buffing the chrome with this mix when a few more minutes pass I'll buff it with an old t shirt then see what's up and take more pics to post in any progression . so , we'll see if his I have is film or I'm fulling myself ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote:I wonder if soaking with EvapoRust would derust the pitting without the scrubbing. That is all you really do is clear out the rust down to bare metal, it seems. Having a good core though is important for rechroming , since some places will not straighten anything.
Linda
that's a good idea . I'll try a vinigar soak, because that's what I have , on the lights . that's where I have pitting .. then I'll polish them ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

idk I think it's getting better ! I couldn't get any mirror look before . now look.. what I've done already about 5× over and over it taking my time not to kill my arm , is starting to show ? or am I seeing things in hope ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

by the muffler area is the worse But it's beginning to show some improvement too .