polishing chrome on these cars

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: polishing chrome on these cars

Post by Lorna c »

Curtis wrote:
theunz wrote:I've mentioned this before but the the most used tool for my restoration has been my 6 inch Harbor Freight bench polisher. It's cheap (about $35) smooth, quiet, and does a wonderful job of shinning chrome, aluminum, and stainless. You can take lightly pitted parts like your tail lights and headlight scoops and make them look nearly new. You can make dull aluminum and stainless shine like chrome in no time at all. I take any nut, bolt, or washer that's going to be visible and hit it with the polisher for a few seconds to bring back the original shine. You can even use it on the black plastic knobs, just be sure to use a very gentle touch. One very important thing to remember is that if you do not have a secure hold on what you are polishing the wheel can rip it out of your hand and send it flying to parts unknown! A small pair of vise grips works well for the nuts and bolts, and a pair of gloves lets you get closer with the bigger ones. Keep in mind that the parts you polish will get hot, so don't immediately grab them with your bare hands. This tool will pay for itself tenfold!
PS don't forget to pick up a few sticks or rouge for the various materials your going to polish. Mike
Yup, Harbor Freight buffer. I've just about worn mine out. Buffer on one end and I put a soft wire wheel on the other. Yes it is not a powerful motor and will bog down but quite often that is a good thing to prevent damage from getting a bit too frisky with it. The extended shaft really makes it better.
thanks much !!
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Pjackb wrote:
Lorna c wrote: never heard of a scuff ball .. I like the results . harbor freight ?
Yup, but probably more choices at OReilly's or similar search for abrasive balls,
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-180- ... 61184.html
like sand paper and Steel wool there are grades they're perfect for the rough jobs

On the wheels above to get the mirror finish I started with a 180 grit Scuff ball to remove any scratches then wet sanded in progression 400,500,600,800,1000,1500,2000,3000
I didn't know it ran that high (3000) I think the highest I've got or knew about was 1100 . so thanks on that info

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok going in ! I have a couple supply I read here to get so I got . that wax ain't cheap is it . I'm sure it's the only one need I'll need to get ever so no big.. and got the 0000 steel wool .. hooked it to my drill to save my arm .. well see how this goes . I still need a polishing wheels for my table grinder . I couldn't find the scuff ball yet so idk . but here we go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Heuuu!
What do you plan to do with that drill and steel wool?

I hope it's not for the chrome parts, steel wool on a high speed drill will create a lot of heat and probably dull out your chrome parts in no time with no hope of getting them back.

Just use the aluminum foil it's low effort and it works
I have no pictures f ok when I used the technique but Here's a couple before and after pictures from the web
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0520.PNG
And a web video just using the aluminum no cleaning

[youtube][/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Pjackb wrote:Heuuu!
What do you plan to do with that drill and steel wool?

I hope it's not for the chrome parts, steel wool on a high speed drill will create a lot of heat and probably dull out your chrome parts in no time with no hope of getting them back.

Just use the aluminum foil it's low effort and it works
I have no pictures f ok when I used the technique but Here's a couple before and after pictures from the web
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0520.PNG

And a web video just using the aluminum no cleaning

[youtube][/youtube]
haha really ? it's 0000 ss ? anyway I got some polishing wheels just now too . haha I'll get foul and start with that. oh and coke .

Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Lorna c wrote:
haha really ? it's 0000 ss ? anyway I got some polishing wheels just now too . haha I'll get foul and start with that. oh and coke .
Actually wouldn't be worried so much to try steel wool with coke by hand as it would probably have results similar to the aluminum foil, it's using on a drill that would be a no no for me

Also sometimes with steel wool it leaves behind some small pieces of steel wich will rust
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

this is after first go around .. now I'm not sure what's going on with my back bumper . the foggiest pics is the far left side of it then as it goes to the right it cleans up .. now that mean it's all haze buildup ? or can chrome be thin on half a bumper ??

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

and the second rear light picture is the worse light I have too .it has all the dimples on it I'm going to work that allot more .. I'm going to order some pumice and see how it helps the left side of bumper

auggiemize
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by auggiemize »

Note from the legal department (no, I'm not one of those...) Wear your safety glasses and always assume that the buffer/grinder wants to grab what slick, shiny piece of metal that you have in your sweaty fingers, and send it back at you/elsewhere... Ask me how I know.
I am a fan of 1. wash with soft scrub, dry, 2. 0000 steel wool-wax with carnuba wax, 3. buff dried residue with an old t-shirt. Works great for rust STAINS, but cant "restore chrome"..I've always said that tired chrome, is tired chrome. There are plenty of "cures" on the net...
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok going to hit my chrome today finally . I've got my coke , Brazilian carnauba wax plenty of tin foil and 0 &0000 steel wool .. going in . pictures will follow

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

along with everyone's suggestions .. should be a piece of cake

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok this is with tinfoil coke and a 0 ss pad . scrubbed until my arm want to drop . ?? not impressed ? what am I doing wrong ? the one is before I think . can't see it on my gallery too well but I think I grabbed the right pic .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I have an old school one way old and it noggs down . I remember growing up that one did too . maybe they all do unless special for something .or something . haha . I need more spinner things to put on it . a rag wheel and soft wire brush sound like a good start . there's sanding wheels or grinding . stone things . I'm sounding like I don't have a clue in the words , I don't yet . haha so sorry for that squeeek in your ears talk ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

got it like this with sand paper . still bumpy in spots but giving arm a rest

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok idk if these dark dots are in ,or on top .. ! all I know is I'm really messing it up now .is that nickel under there ? oops !