Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Road trip to bring back my first roadster

Post by Linda »

Manu,
Karp's might be less if you install rebuild kit( obtained from vendors) rather than them doing it. When I had it done that was the only way they did it.
Looks like they are doing brake hoses now too.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Linda wrote:Manu,
Karp's might be less if you install rebuild kit( obtained from vendors) rather than them doing it. When I had it done that was the only way they did it.
Looks like they are doing brake hoses now too.
Linda
Just spoke with Dave P and this is also what he recommends!
I'm waiting for Karp's quote for sleeving only.
"Ruby" 1968 1600 SPL311-19762
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Jeff from Karps came back with the quote for sleeving only: $79.00 per sleeve $316.00 to sleeve both front wheel assemblies.

If you add the rebuild kit at $76 from datsunparts it almost equals the price of new calipers. Sleeving definetely sounds like the best option when you have time and are willing to rebuild yourself.

In the mean time my mechanic showed me the leak and it looks really minimal, I hadn’t even noticed a change in level of fluid since I brought the car back last month. My idea is to clean up everything, replace pads and closely monitor the leak. I really want to do the sleeving but budget is kind of low right now...

My mechanic also showed me an old binder he had with pictures of a red 2000 he worked on a few years back. The owner then exported it to Europe. Don’t know if this rings a bell to any of you. Next time I’ll take pictures of the binder and post here.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Replaced the Slave Cylinder today.
Old one fell apart in pieces right after I took this picture, guess it was time to change it!
I adjusted the push rod exactly like the original. Clutch is working nice and clutch pedal does not need to be as high as before for gears to engage.

The only thing I’m worried about is I have to press the pedal 1 or 2 inches before I feel some resistance.

I also got the Spectre air filter recommended in the wiki.
Filter is thicker than stock one: just want to confirm that I have to remove the original rubber gaskets to fit the Spectre filter?

Edit:
Got my answer: removed the gaskets and it fits tightly. Also had to remove the washers between filter case and butterfly nuts because screw thread is not long enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Hello everyone,
Here is a quick update.

Judging by the puddle at my feet, Cluctch Master Cylinder is definitely out. Beck/Arnley replacement is on the way.
I also purchased a stainless steel braided Slave Cylinder hose from Jim at Datsun Restoration Products who nicely threw the compression washer at no charge.

I also plan on doing the oil change while I'm down there. After reading kilometers of thread about motor oil here, my head was spinning. I opted for some Mobil1 10w30 and a Wix Filter. Still not sure if I have to add zinc/zddp and how much?

Other issues that have come up: bad headlight connection (connector seems to have overheated), slight squeak in front left suspension.

Yesterday, I met up at Ray Lim's place who is so kindly giving me some spare brake calipers so I can get them re-sleeved and still be able to drive my car. I also got to meet Tom (Nismou20) and his 2000. Below is a family pic (only missing Ray's second 1600).

Would love to get as much done before next Sunday in order to make it to the San Gabriel fun run.
Making progress thanks to your help. Special thanks to Linda who is always ready to answer my stupid questions!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Nothing wrong with Mobil One and the Wix filter, used to run Mobil One 20/50, but I'm not sure how much zinc it has. Make sure you have the oil drain back tube in place that the filter slides onto... often missing and delays full oil pressure a bit as the filter has to fill first. I have since switched oil to Valvoline VR-1 Racing in a 10/30, has plenty of zinc protection. Can be hard to find at all parts stores but is always available online. I also highly recommend Swepco manual trans gear oil if you decide to change that. Switching from Valvoline gear oil to the Swepco led to a much cooler transmission, with the stick shift no longer getting warm/hot.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Thanks Greg, I’ll definitely think about switching to VR1 and Swepco once I’m done with urgent repairs and associated costs. These oils are a bit pricier.

New issue I have is a slight upper engine knock or ping. I don’t know how to tell one from the other. Planning on checking the spark plugs (currently running autolites but NGK bp6es are on their way), adjusting the valves with Linda on Sunday etc. This is on top of my very long existing to-do list of course!

From other threads about this knock issue it could be a number of things. I just hope there is no damage. And want to go through the easy vérifications before thinking of opening the engine.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

We are going to do a little 15 min valve adjustment session right there at Supercar Sunday LOL. Instead of the usual hood up, it will be hood up doing something. Bet the 510 guys come over to chat. Haha
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

hahaha for sure
Thanks again for the help Linda!!
This community is golden.