General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Road trip to bring back my first roadster

Post by msampsel »

I went after market on both. Still work fine after a year or so. No complaints
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

msampsel wrote:I went after market on both. Still work fine after a year or so. No complaints
Ok thank you for the feedback.
"Ruby" 1968 1600 SPL311-19762
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Manu wrote:Any advice against going aftermarket for Master or Slave Cylinders?
Looking at them on datsunparts.com
I'm using both the of them, purchased from datsunparts.com . SC is perfect. On the MC you need to twist out the tank and (looking at your stock one for reference) cut about 3/4in off the bottom so the hood will close nicely. Also swap the old lever arm thing off your old MC or the pedal might be to high.
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Ok thanks Aidan.

Did the bleed this evening and clutch is working again. Process was quick and simple with a friend helping with the pedal. Slip point (not sure that’s the right word in English) is still pretty high though. The old fluid that came out was very dark.

SC has a slow leak where the rubber seal meets the metal. How can I be sure I order the right part, is the number on the part itself?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

The part number is not on the part, see the Tech Wiki Parts Interchange for aftermarket parts numbers. Listed is the AutoZone Duralast 10030 slave.
Probably will need a new hose, or at least an idea to check
Try to clean off the oil and dirt if you can so that you can see leaks and not contaminate anything.
Great peace of mind to have a good clutch!
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Thanks everyone. New SC coming in the mail tomorrow.

Now I need to replace those broken exhaust mounts.
Linda, you mentioned in this old thread that you found them on Ebay? http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7849
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Yes, since that post I got some mounts off eBay ( type in exhaust mounts to match up), a flex pipe from AutoZone, to keep the stock size, a used header, better gaskets, refurbed the resonator by painting, and getting it welded, and added a VW megaphone tip cut to Roadster dimensions... :D
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Ok so I think the exhaust will have to wait.
My mechanic just told me my front brake calipers are leaking and rotors too thin and all need replacement. I need to stop by his shop to check everything with him today... :(

edit: just found this thread about resleeving http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ve#p158940
could that be an alternative to buying new calipers?
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Resleeving is an excellent alternative, but a bit pricey. Plus side, more durable and less prone to pitting and rust - should be the last time you ever have to mess with or worry about a cylinder bore (May still need to replace the rubber bits from time to time.) Downside, time to get the repairs made, send out for rework, and time waiting without the car versus buy new - it's quicker to just by new stock parts. Cost, about equal to slightly less to buy new versus resleeve, but with a resleeve it will last longer.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

notoptoy wrote:Resleeving is an excellent alternative, but a bit pricey. Plus side, more durable and less prone to pitting and rust - should be the last time you ever have to mess with or worry about a cylinder bore (May still need to replace the rubber bits from time to time.) Downside, time to get the repairs made, send out for rework, and time waiting without the car versus buy new - it's quicker to just by new stock parts. Cost, about equal to slightly less to buy new versus resleeve, but with a resleeve it will last longer.
Oh I thought re-sleeve was cheaper. The quotes Mike mentioned in the resleeve thread were about $80/caliper for sleeve & complete rebuilt. Whereas the prices I found for 2 new full calipers on datsunparts is $394.
Am I missing something?
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Disassemble the calipers and check for wear and pitting. If they are in good shape, a polish and seal kit may get back in the drivers seat.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I believe the $80 is per caliper half, so there are 4 of them, $240 versus $397 - so yes, cheaper on the surface. I am not sure what that resleeving covers, if it is just sleeving, or does it include the rubber parts - for a drop in ready caliper? That is what you get with new. If you can get that price complete and have the time that is good and a better option. When I looked around the East Coast (Apple Hydraulics and White Post Restorations) it was closer to $100 per caliper half, plus the rubber bits.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Here is my experience:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=Karp
Nice to resleeve so that no water can affect cylinders again.
I would first get a second opinion . Clean off area of brakes well to establish leaks. Check hoses and bleeders, could be leaking there.
Is your brake pedal soft or do you have good braking? Losing any fluid?
Linda
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

pebbles wrote:Disassemble the calipers and check for wear and pitting. If they are in good shape, a polish and seal kit may get back in the drivers seat.
I would love that to be the case!
notoptoy wrote:I believe the $80 is per caliper half, so there are 4 of them, $240 versus $397 - so yes, cheaper on the surface. I am not sure what that resleeving covers, if it is just sleeving, or does it include the rubber parts - for a drop in ready caliper? That is what you get with new. If you can get that price complete and have the time that is good and a better option. When I looked around the East Coast (Apple Hydraulics and White Post Restorations) it was closer to $100 per caliper half, plus the rubber bits.
True. I reached out to Karps to get a quote and turnaround time.
Linda wrote:Here is my experience:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=Karp
Nice to resleeve so that no water can affect cylinders again.
I would first get a second opinion . Clean off area of brakes well to establish leaks. Check hoses and bleeders, could be leaking there.
Is your brake pedal soft or do you have good braking? Losing any fluid?
Linda
Pedal was not soft. Did not seem to be loosing any fluid, but I might not have not been noticing it.

Thank you all for the advice. There's a lot of info here and lots of ways to address this brake issue it seems!
I'll first have to look at the brakes myself, clean/disasemble, post pictures here and try to locate the origin of the leak(s) together!
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

I can only pick up Ruby tomorrow morning. I'll update you guys when I see her.

You were right Notoptoy! (sorry I don't know all your real names yet) - here is Karps' quote:
5-10 days in the shop, $243 to stainless steel sleeve and rebuild each caliper.
$486 total for both wheels so about $100 more than new calipers.