Road trip to bring back my first roadster

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Manu
Site Supporter

Re: Road trip to bring back my first roadster

Post by Manu »

Ok so I have given up and went to Jiffy Lube for help. They immediately refused, pretexting liability issues...
I went to Valvoline next door, same answer.
Alright, I'll go to my favorite mechanic tomorrow morning and get fill plug and brake nuts loosened so I can get going.
"Ruby" 1968 1600 SPL311-19762
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

What?!! How completely stupid. With their proper tools they could have gotten it easily.
America is lawsuit-happy. Sheesh
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Yes exactly... it's sad!
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

Manu wrote:Ok so I have given up and went to Jiffy Lube for help. They immediately refused, pretexting liability issues...
I went to Valvoline next door, same answer.
Alright, I'll go to my favorite mechanic tomorrow morning and get fill plug and brake nuts loosened so I can get going.
I can understand their position. The risk vs reward ratio is way out of line for them. You have a steel plug in an aluminum case that's probably not been touched for 50 years. The chemical reaction of steel to aluminum will start a process that can basically weld them together.
When you apply the torque necessary to break this bond you run the risk of cracking the thin aluminum transmission case. How many thousands of dollars is it going to cost them to replace your transmission? Even if you agree to release them of any liability (and sometimes these don't hold up in court) they still worry about getting bad press, and since these are usually national chains it's just not worth the paltry sum they would of charged you. Your plan of taking it to your local mechanic is sound, as he and you are much more likely to come to an understanding about liability. I would suggest spraying it again with the PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer as you do so just before you drive it to him. Good luck, Mike
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
sfdaugherty
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sfdaugherty »

I had a fill plug that refused to budge. I got it up on a lift and got a 2 foot pipe (cheater) on my wrench and pulled. . . hard. I heard a huge CRACK and was relieved to see that the plug was loose and I hadn't broken the housing.

Shannon
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

Run the car up to full temp. The aluminum case should expand more than the steel plug.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

theunz wrote: I can understand their position. [...] I would suggest spraying it again with the PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer as you do so just before you drive it to him. Good luck, Mike
You're right, it does make sense when you explain it.
sfdaugherty wrote:I had a fill plug that refused to budge. I got it up on a lift and got a 2 foot pipe (cheater) on my wrench and pulled. . . hard. I heard a huge CRACK and was relieved to see that the plug was loose and I hadn't broken the housing.

Shannon
huge CRACK sounds scary! :shock:
Gar's68 wrote:Run the car up to full temp. The aluminum case should expand more than the steel plug.
Smart idea thanks!

I love this place, it's amazing the knowledge you can take away from a single plug problem.
Thank you all.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

A transmission case doesn't seem that "thin" to me, so I still feel that on a lift with a long wrench like the guy used at a transmission shop I brought my car to one time, it would turn. But Jiffy Lube as a corporate is going to be more conservative. I wonder if looking at all the zerks made them decline as well.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

They all had a scared look on their faces when I drove in! They had no clue what to tell me. They then regrouped and discussed together before coming back to me saying they were afraid the plug could fall when I'm driving back and would be held responsible...
As Dave Premo told me afterwards, I should have told them "Can you please check my transmission oil lever" without even mentioning that I had "trouble" unscrewing it myself!

I forgot to post my final itinerary to bring back Ruby. Route had to change a bit for schedule reasons and we ended up doing less coast drive than planned. Hoping to show more coastline to the brother next weekend with a little LA-San Diego trip before he leaves!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Manu on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AC77

Post by AC77 »

I've made a similar drive on a road trip with my family, would be amazing in a roadster. Totally jealous!
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

That looks like a nice trip, Manu!
Definitely some beautiful scenery. You picked a great route.
Re Jiffy Lube: I agree with Dave Premo. The less they know the better sometimes LOL.
Linda
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

AC77 wrote:I've made a similar drive on a road trip with my family, would be amazing in a roadster. Totally jealous!
Do it! It was amazing. I needed a couple days to recover haha - felt more like a rallye than a roadtrip! - but totally worth it!!
Linda wrote:That looks like a nice trip, Manu!
Definitely some beautiful scenery. You picked a great route.
Re Jiffy Lube: I agree with Dave Premo. The less they know the better sometimes LOL.
Linda
It was beautiful. We went through so many different sceneries, coast line, mountains, almost desert and then forrest again! This trip will remain as one of our greatest memories for sure.
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

Well, it took 1/2 second for my mechanic to loosen the transmission fill plug for free.
He congratulated me on the buy and told me Ruby was in great shape. :)

He recommended that I come do the front brakes with him. He wants to show me how to completely clean the calipers etc!
Gear oil level is good but I should still do the oil change right? I won't hurt I guess.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

You unknowingly loosened it for him :smt025
Unless you have recent service records, I would recommend new fluids.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Manu
Site Supporter

Post by Manu »

True, I did half the work for him haha. Also, car was up to full temp by the time I got to the shop, so that might have helped as well!

Off topic:
I got stung by a bee while driving top down to the shop. Poor thing seemed in real bad shape, just fell from the sky like a rock.
Last and only other time I got stung was while driving a Citroën Deux-Chevaux in the south of France. Open-air motoring is a dangerous activity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.