Mothra SR20DE Swap in Florida

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: SR20DE Swap in Florida

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_1376.jpg

Here is a shot of the modified evaporator in place with the lines connected. Notice the vent holes now blow horizontally with the added modified cap we added to the top of the evaporator. I have sealed over the passenger side vent.
IMG_1378.jpg

This photo shows I changed out the 90 degree high pressure fitting at the condenser with a 45 degree.
IMG_1379.jpg

I moved the radiator expansion tank over which made room for the high pressure line to pass through the radiator frame. I also removed one of the bolt holes on the expansion tank lower bracket to make room for the low pressure line.
IMG_1388.jpg

Bolting down the driver seat and steering wheel this morning and taking Mothra out for her first spin on the shop property today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Off to paint today! Test drove in the shop parking lot yesterday, first time out of the garage. I am having a idle issue that I hope will show up on the computer. I replaced my MAF with a brand new one already but still having idle issues. Paint today anyway...
Michael Montez
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Looking good, gonna look great. Watched your first drive video, congratulations!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
family_2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by family_2k »

Loving the details!!! Lots of good stuff to learn from on the A/C install.

Did you remove the passenger's fresh air vent to make room for the evaporator? The box cutout really makes a difference in fitting that unit in there.

What A/C evaporator did you go with? Was it a Vintage Air Mini??
68 2000
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

family_2k wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm Loving the details!!! Lots of good stuff to learn from on the A/C install.

Did you remove the passenger's fresh air vent to make room for the evaporator? The box cutout really makes a difference in fitting that unit in there.

What A/C evaporator did you go with? Was it a Vintage Air Mini??
Yes Vintage Air Gen 2 Mini with Heat, Cool and Defrost.
I had to remove the evaporator and dash again before paint to keep dust and paint shop contaminants from doing damage. (Vintage Air suggestion) I have temporarily looped the heater lines back on themselves so the engine gets coolant. I have removed the passenger side fresh air vent.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Just purchased the 240Z electric power steering package from Silver Mine Motors. I needed to make changes to the steering shaft anyway because my car is lifted from the body just enough to cause fit issues with my compressor and my steering wheel. My team at Cheshire's Custom Auto will be fitting it all in for me. With my 16 inch wide as hell wheels I will be enjoying this upgrade.
electric_power_steering_kit_swap_240z_260z_280z_datsun_rach_fluid-hose_nissan_motor_wheel_.jpgimg_5383.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Does this connect to the steering box or replace it?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Bigtaku wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:28 pm Just purchased the 240Z electric power steering package from Silver Mine Motors. I needed to make changes to the steering shaft anyway because my car is lifted from the body just enough to cause fit issues with my compressor and my steering wheel. My team at Cheshire's Custom Auto will be fitting it all in for me. With my 16 inch wide as hell wheels I will be enjoying this upgrade.
Looking forward to hearing how you like driving with this. I'm thinking about electric steering, but hoping to adapt a factory one.
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Linda wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:50 pm Does this connect to the steering box or replace it?
Linda
I am going to connect to my box but I guess you could do away with it if you had the skills. The Z has Rack and Pinion. I would be to scared to take on that job. I don't know if our cars frame could take that upgrade. My steering box is fine but I will be giving it some love before hooking this up.
image1_2.jpeg
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Update. Nothing is new with the car because I'm waiting my turn for the last of the fabrication. While I wait, I am getting my garage ready for Mothra to come home. I purchased a Vestil A-LIFT-R-HP Fixed Straddle Hand Winch Lift Truck, 35" Length, 25" Width, 67-1/2" Height, 400 lbs Capacity to get stuff up to my storage room above my garage.
71YCQL1bx9L._SL1500_.jpg

This will clean up my garage so only car stuff is in the garage and other stuff like generators, saws and such will be stored above. The last thing I want is to scratch up the car after all this work.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Just got back from a 5 month cross country drive in the Titan and travel trailer. While I was gone Mothra has had lots done to her. All electrical has been fitted and tested. Air conditioner works! Stereo is simply amazing! Push button start with alarm system tested and I really like it! Auto trunk and door locks tested and work. Power steering is installed and appears to be working.
This last week I was able to assist in figuring out the last two issues before paint. My rear shocks were rubbing on the chunk of metal that was added to firm up the rear area below the roll bar. That's crossed off. I ordered the new steering shaft that will get me around the air conditioning compressor. I really hope having three u-joints and a heim joint bolt will be the answer. Then it's a few more adjustments so the doors and hood line up correctly and off to paint.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_3029.JPG

The steering shaft now has plenty of room around the compressor. Needs a little clean up and paint and it will be a thing of beauty. This set up may work good for tight fits thru or around headers.

IMG_2970.PNG
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Update for Mothra. Chesire's autobody is back to work on the paint after a very long wait looking for a restoration body guy. They will be working on weekends to finish the small amount of pre paint prep and then off to paint. Crazy how hard it is to find people to work in this area but who knows? This project may be done before to long after all.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_3205.JPG

Not to much longer now...
Michael Montez
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Think I'm gonna like it!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA