Mothra SR20DE Swap in Florida

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: SR20DE Swap in Florida

Post by Bigtaku »

Got my car back from AML Extreme Powder Coating and Welding yesterday. The Cold Air is done and the E-brake works like a dream. They also worked on the radiator brackets and condenser. No one else would take on my cold air project locally so thanks guys. Still need to get the high and low pressure air conditioning lines measured and attached before painting. I think I have finally made up my mind on the side mirror placements as well.
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1301.jpg
If I can get my butt off this computer and finish up the last of the pre-paint stuff, I can probably get to paint next week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Any chance you would be up for a visitor or two on Friday?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
family_2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by family_2k »

Wow, the intake and radiator look great! How did you manage to use the lower radiator support with the condenser?

Do you have any pictures of the lower radiator mounts as well as the passenger's side condenser mounting available to post? I am planning my condenser and radiator setup as well and any good examples like this would be helpful.

Also, have you mounded the evaporator? If so, any good tips for installation, or better yet pictures?

Great progress, can't wait for more! Thanks for keeping us up to date.
68 2000
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_1326.jpg
I had purchased the Honda Del Sol high and low pressure lines to connect to the condenser and guess what... They did not fit. I could not get either the high or low to seat properly onto the condenser which was/is very strange because I know I ordered the correct parts. They look like they should fit but just don't. Rather than go crazy and try to figure out how to order other "correct parts" all over again, I took all my air conditioning parts to Jacksonville, fl (hour drive) and had a hydraulics shop convert my condenser to standard fittings. It cost me $50 but well worth the drive and the travel. I will get more pictures tomorrow to share
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

I purchased the Del Sol condenser as well. Good to know it will need some adjustments to get connected. Luckily, I have not purchased any lines or fittings.

I will be keeping an eye on the thread to learn what actually works.

Thanks again for keep us all in the loop!
68 2000
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Had some visitors yesterday at the shop. Thanks for coming by Sid and Charles! I am in line at the paint shop for next week. Just need to finish up a few things.
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
Michael Montez
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Looking really great, I like the flair work... they are nicely done and don't appear too much like an add-on, and the wheels fill things perfectly. Looking forward to seeing her in color. What color are you going?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Looking really great, I like the flair work... they are nicely done and don't appear too much like an add-on, and the wheels fill things perfectly. Looking forward to seeing her in color. What color are you going?
[/quote]

IMG_1242.jpg

Thanks, this is the 2018 Nissan paint code NBA. Same color as the engine bay but with better quality clear coat.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

family_2k wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:02 am Wow, the intake and radiator look great! How did you manage to use the lower radiator support with the condenser?

Do you have any pictures of the lower radiator mounts as well as the passenger's side condenser mounting available to post? I am planning my condenser and radiator setup as well and any good examples like this would be helpful.

Also, have you mounded the evaporator? If so, any good tips for installation, or better yet pictures?

Great progress, can't wait for more! Thanks for keeping us up to date.
It's funny that when I was getting started on this project, I would sometimes get frustrated that the posts would not have pictures of the progress. Now that I'm working this like a real job (5 days a week 8 to 5) you would think that I would take the time to get the photos posted. I promise I will get some better pictures of the evaporator and the brackets when the shop opens Monday. The AC and heater lines are also so important to get right. I did find a photo of the vintage air heater lines passing through the passenger side engine bay and the high and low pressure lines to the compressor.
51765942_10156170434875197_4001544450416312320_o.jpg
51571752_10156170434825197_6618936351398035456_o.jpg

I forgot who's car this was, probably Shannon's but I thought his was blue. I do not see the radiator overflow tank in this photo. I will be using mine and it is in the way of the high and low lines so I will be taking a different route.
Michael Montez
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

It was great to meet you Mike and to see Mothra. The flares are great, and the attention to detail is excellent as well. I am looking forward to seeing it completed!!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Bigtaku wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:17 am I want to take a moment to thank all of you that helped me over the last two years on this site. I could not have got here without you.
I can't tell you how good it feels to have the engine running, only those who have been down this road truly know. Still tons of stuff to do though.
As for this week, my beautiful stainless muffler (Thank you Jim at Datsun Restoration Products and Spriso Motorsports) gets mounted. Today is all about figuring out my cold air intake. Haven't found a shop in this town wants to take it on yet but who knows, today may be the day.

You are very welcome and thank you for the shout-out!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Here are some Vintage Air photos of my build I took yesterday. Look at the low pressure on the condenser mod. It is set up for a standard fitting. Welding on to a radiator or condense is tricky work because the units are designed to pull heat away from any one spot. Find a good hydraulic guy to do the braise welding for you. Even then it's a 50 50 chance for trouble.

IMG_1350.jpg

This is the high pressure line with the modified standard fitting. Also I went with smaller more flexible Barrier type line and fittings for the whole system. Vintage Air sent me the larger type hose that was not flexible enough (for me). The condenser came with hanging brackets on it that were at strange angles (made for the Honda Del Sol) so they were cut and re-welded to be at 90 degrees to fit the Datsun radiator brackets.
IMG_1352.jpg

Then you can see the drier placed on the firewall. The evaporator is located behind it.
IMG_1349.jpg

This is the box I added for more room for the evaporator.
IMG_1348.jpg

I will take a photo of the evaporator today after I get the lines connected.

IMG_1351.jpg

The lines from compressor I sent forward to keep away from heat on the exhaust. I wish it were not so tight but it works. I still need to find a good access point for the low pressure Freon port tee. Not enough room next to the high pressure port.
Michael Montez
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Awesome...thanks for documenting!
family_2k

Post by family_2k »

Looks great! The extra pictures explain a lot about how you got the condenser mounted. The modified fittings helped since one of the stock fittings is is the way of the lower mounting point.

The extra room in the passengers side is genius. I will consider the same since the evaporator is a tight squeeze.

When you get the evaporator mounted some pics of that would be icing on the cake.

Thank you!
68 2000
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Mattk »

Love the work. Looks great and am jealous of your progress.
I’m going to look at the del sol condenser for my set up. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I think though I’m going to try to put the the alt on the drivers side and the compressor on the passenger side. But that’s still to be seen.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK