Mothra SR20DE Swap in Florida

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Mothra SR20DE Swap in Florida

Post by Bigtaku »

Hello everyone, I am getting close to having a completely rust free painted 68 Roadster! I know I have a bit to go but just getting to this point has been an amazing fun and expensive ride. I have the new SR20DE S14 already in with the engine mount gig form Michael Spreadbury. I have a terrifying movie of the car after sandblasting if anyone wants to feel good about there build.
It is now at Visual FX in Saint Augustine, FL. Great body shop if you live around here. The guy in the movie is my fabricator not me.
I will be adding lot of info on my build as it becomes my turn to get my hands on my new toy. So far its just been polishing and buying parts. I got the car for a Christmas present (2016) from my family to replace my other that I lost to a drunk driver. If only they knew how excessive compulsive I could be, I never would have got this present. I look forward to chatting with you all, and I would like to thank all of you that will be helping me ahead of time! Now I just need to figure out how to add photos...
Michael Montez
Last edited by Bigtaku on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Re: SR20DE Swap in Florida

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_0713.PNG
This was my ride for about 33 years. Sadly she is no more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_8106.JPG
IMG_8107.JPG
Now this is my ride!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_8870.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG
getting the front fenders finished and fitting the roll bar. 1995 Miata seats ( I have already purchased the new covers). As you can see, I'm not going for the stock look. I already did that in my old car. I'm hoping to get her back in my garage before Christmas.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

List of body parts so far (i think I'm done buying body parts)
1. Trunk Pan & Quarter Pockets
2. Trunk Lid
3. Driver Front Fender
4. Passenger Front Fender
5. Lower front valance panel
6. Complete Floor Pan & Rockers
7. Airdam from Les
8. Hood
9. Lots of chrome parts.
Needless to say if you watched the youtube video I have had countless hours of fabrication done so that the exterior body had something to attach to.
Last edited by Bigtaku on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

IMG_8377.JPG
This was an older photo with the rusted out fenders but the SR20DE fits in nicely!
Michael Montez
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Wow, you have come a long way quickly! Looking great!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Thinking about the limited slip conversion kit on ebay from Traction Concepts. Anyone have anything to say about it? Also looking at Air Conditioning...
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

I was planning on getting the car completely painted before I started the mechanical work but I may be rethinking this. What have the rest of you done?
Michael Montez
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Bigtaku wrote:I was planning on getting the car completely painted before I started the mechanical work but I may be rethinking this. What have the rest of you done?
What type of mechanical work? chassis?
imho either way you choose, something will require protection. you could lift the painted body and roll the chassis out from under it.
if welding and cutting and grinding etc, wait!
at a minimum, mockup prior to paint.
before paint..."oh those will look fine".. after paint, "those look terrible".....
make sure the new windshield (bare) sits flat on the pinch welds, no gaps.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

I'm having the body shop do most everything except the getting the engine running. I wish I could afford to have them do everything. They do an excellent job at total restoration. (I need to get to know my new engine anyway...) They have already finished the frame mods but still need to powder coat it. I have a ton of messy work to do and don't want to mess up my new paint. I am having the interior painted as well so everything that goes through the firewall can't be in place before painting. Setting up the new engine will require more cutting in the engine bay. I know there is no way to not mock up prior to painting but there must be a cut off line... I guess my question is, at what point is the best point to get it painted?
Hopefully some of you have already gone through this and could share your mistakes and or thoughts.
Thank you for your windshield advice David.
Michael Montez
sfdaugherty
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sfdaugherty »

My hats off to you for keeping that body. I don't know that I've seen that much tinworm before. Most people would have looked for a body with less rust.

I had my bodywork done prior to finishing my swap. I have some dings and dents as a result of continued work on the car. Its a tough call but, if I had it to do over again, I would wait to paint the car until you are done with the mechanical portion and are ready to put the body on the frame one last time.

Shannon
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
Ed Mason
Site Supporter

Post by Ed Mason »

I fit my engine/trans with body off (of course) then removed engine/trans and restored frame and suspension components. Detailed and painted engine compartment. Installed engine/trans on rolling restored frame. Installed body on frame, leveled and aligned body, then finished body work on mobile car. Had a lot of masking to do to protect frame, suspension and engine compartment, but allowed me to get proper door alignment, etc. With turbo engine more work because of turbo plumbing and intercooler. When you get done though, you will be very happy.
Ed Mason
1967 SRL311-00515
1967.5 1600 sr20det s14 swap
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

Thank you Shannon and Ed. I guess I will wait for the frame to be finished. By that time the front fender flares should be completed as well. Then start the engine work with the body off. I need the weight of the engine in so I know how to finish the fenders. Getting to the fun part. Shannon, I think I may get the most restored rust bucket award with this build! I have to say that when my kids found this car in South Carolina it did look pretty clean. Looks were very deceiving. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing this car would never have lasted and I saved her from death.
Michael Montez
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

I know it the little things but I received my carpet kit and my Miata seat covers yesterday.
Michael Montez