Getting a Roaster - Things to Consider

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Getting a Roaster - Things to Consider

Post by Gregs672000 »

I would assume the entire brake system needs attention. The masters are rebuildable if it is not pitted. There is a member here selling sleeved front calipers right now. Optional master is a 510 with adaptors, considerably less expensive but not "stock". The front brake lines were often covered with a "protective" plastic cover that actually causes the lines to rust when compromised, so they may need attention as well. Since we are talking about brakes, and therefore your LIFE, I would purchase or consider this car with the assumption that you will be spending some money on brakes, so calculate that into your price and budget. If it works out that you can still use a lot of what is there, then you are free to spend the money elsewhere!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Getting a Roaster - Things to Consider

Post by mraitch »

@pjackb
re low windshield preference.
Just never thought about it - '70s were what were available when I decided to buy.
But after being at Solvang over the years and looking at all the cars, and being shortish 5-7, i find the low windshield dash, primarily, much more in the aesthetic 'spirit' of this sort of motoring. And I just love the little wind vents.
As to the 5-speed - just makes sense for me, since I tend to do a lot of long-distance motoring, economics and less all-around strain
And stroker vs OHC
Similar power through much of the band, perhaps not at the top end, but I rarely go above 95 and good low-end grunt (with b-cam) and just cheaper to build, maintain, fix repeat
And Miata seats - much more adjustment and much more support.

FWIW
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California