map light

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ed B
Roadster Fanatic

map light

Post by ed B »

Does anyone have a schematic sketch for the map light (in the center console) for a 69 model? I think i am missing a spring or something as there is no movement when I press on the lense.
1969 1600
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: map light

Post by RBMann »

Not an expert but here is the broken one from our '69-
IMG_8229.jpg
IMG_8231.jpg
With the switch out of the console you can push the socket out of the housing from the back side. This releases the ground contact. The ground contact has a small 90 on the end that hooks on the housing and a larger 90 on the other end to touch the spring retainer in the ON position. You can then rotate the spring retainer to line the tabs up with the channels in the housing to release the spring.

In the OFF position the the button hold the spring retainer farther in the housing away from the ground contact. The ON position allows the spring retainer to move out and touch the ground contact.
IMG_8232.jpg
IMG_8233.jpg
IMG_8234.jpg
IMG_8235.jpg
Ours had a crack in the housing and I used a zip-tie to try holding the housing together. I could not get it to consistently work so I bought another one.
IMG_8236.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
JohnnyMac
Site Supporter

Post by JohnnyMac »

RBMann wrote:Not an expert...
You are now THE map light expert
John

SRL311-05287
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

RBMann wrote:Not an expert but here is the broken one from our '69-

IMG_8229.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

With the switch out of the console you can push the socket out of the housing from the back side. This releases the ground contact. The ground contact has a small 90 on the end that hooks on the housing and a larger 90 on the other end to touch the spring retainer in the ON position. You can then rotate the spring retainer to line the tabs up with the channels in the housing to release the spring.

In the OFF position the the button hold the spring retainer farther in the housing away from the ground contact. The ON position allows the spring retainer to move out and touch the ground contact.

IMG_8232.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

Ours had a crack in the housing and I used a zip-tie to try holding the housing together. I could not get it to consistently work so I bought another one.

IMG_8236.jpg
This is great, very helpful, thanks!! I have not taken mine apart yet, but now I know what to look for and what pieces may be missing. All the wires in the console were cut and the grounds were gone, so I have not been able to even test it yet.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the photos and graphics, really appreciated.
1969 1600
Kurt
Site Supporter

Post by Kurt »

Most excellent example of 311s.org awesomeness!
San Jose, CA
70 SPL311 (Pumpkin)
67 SRL311 00520 (Princess)
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

Kurt wrote:Most excellent example of 311s.org awesomeness!
Ditto!!
1969 1600
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

her 69.
and what JohnnyMac said
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
RBMann
Roadsteraholic

Post by RBMann »

pebbles wrote:her 69.
You're right, her car. She bought it and pays for the parts I just work on it then drive it. :) Maybe she bought it so I would have something to do in retirement.
RBMann

orangedawg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by orangedawg »

Old thread, but I have a question about the map light. I have all the parts and it works, but it doesn't turn easily when you push it in. You kind of have to push and turn it with your finger and thumb with a decent amount of effort. Way back when, I remember I just used to have to push it in and the "push button lens" would turn for the most part on its own. Am I supposed to put a lubricant or something between the push button and bezel to make it easier to turn?
RBMann
Roadsteraholic

Post by RBMann »

orangedawg wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:24 pm Old thread, but I have a question about the map light. I have all the parts and it works, but it doesn't turn easily when you push it in. You kind of have to push and turn it with your finger and thumb with a decent amount of effort. Way back when, I remember I just used to have to push it in and the "push button lens" would turn for the most part on its own. Am I supposed to put a lubricant or something between the push button and bezel to make it easier to turn?
Sorry, I missed your question. I would remove the light from the console then unscrew the bezel out of the lamp housing. Clean everything up. I used silicone grease or dielectric grease on everything.
RBMann

orangedawg
Roadster Fanatic

Post by orangedawg »

Thanks! I will give that a shot.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Awesome write up for the map light.
I wondered if any glue or plastic repair stuff like Bondex would work on a cracked housing.
I still have to fix mine.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Linda wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:23 am Awesome write up for the map light.
I wondered if any glue or plastic repair stuff like Bondex would work on a cracked housing.
I still have to fix mine.
Linda
I'll be that an appropriate glue would work. It has been awhile since I have looked at mine but I don't recall that it is polyethylene, which of course no glue holds. I wouldn't put any lube except maybe graphite on it. Plastic can easily get very fine grit dust embedded in it which keeps parts from sliding past each other. The cure is scraping it clean. Then just keeping it clean.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn