Favorite muffler

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Favorite muffler

Post by Gregs672000 »

Hi gang, I am thinkin about replacing my Dynomax turbo muffler with something a bit more quiet. I currently run a 2.25 exhaust, dynomax (not sure if it's a turbo or super turbo muffler) with an monza tip. My carbs are as loud but I plan to remake my airbox and that will help with that. I don't want it too quiet, but maybe a bit less. I don't want rasp! Lookin for a mellower rumble. Anyone running a flow master 60 series? Not sure if that is going in the right direction. I'm not looking to change out the whole exhaust, just the muffler, will keep the monza tip.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: Favorite muffler

Post by Alvin »

Gregs672000 wrote:Hi gang, I am thinkin about replacing my Dynomax turbo muffler with something a bit more quiet. I currently run a 2.25 exhaust, dynomax (not sure if it's a turbo or super turbo muffler) with an monza tip. My carbs are as loud but I plan to remake my airbox and that will help with that. I don't want it too quiet, but maybe a bit less. I don't want rasp! Lookin for a mellower rumble. Anyone running a flow master 60 series? Not sure if that is going in the right direction. I'm not looking to change out the whole exhaust, just the muffler, will keep the monza tip.
Greg,
I was running a single Borla muffler. It was loud. I just got a new system using a much larger/longer Magnaflow muffler AND a resonator out back like the OE system. Huge difference in sound. Much quieter, but still sounds good. The resonator helpd. I will take more pics and a video
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
bmccarthy67

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Jim's (JT68) muffler sounds great, fits perfect, and is Stainless to boot. I'm running his with his SS resonator and the sound is nice. If memory serves I believe he made 2.5? I know he made 2" sets because that's what I have. Was previously running a Borla.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just drove the car and noticed that the carbs were really much louder than my exhaust. I may hold off on the muffler change until I make the airbox and see how she sounds. I do have some "overlap" blap blap sound on deceleration I would like to get rid of... Not sure if that is caused by air entering the system from a leaky fitting or what... I do recall reading on the megajolt website that I can adjust the timing on decel to reduce this based on engine vacuum. We'll see...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

The backfiring on deceleration is perfectly normal. On later cars they put a lot of effort into stopping is as catalytic converters hate it a lot. Under high manifold vacuum conditions the mixture doesn't like to burn in the combustion chamber. Once it gets into the exhaust system it will light off at random, thus the backfiring. The British used a little poppet valve in the throttle plate to allow some fuel/air in on deceleration. Some makers used a vacuum solenoid to open the throttle a little when the manifold vacuum was high. Nissan did this on the Z as I recall. Most fuel injected cars will actually cut the fuel off at zero throttle above a certain speed. On the Z I think it is 30-40 mph.
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

Induction to exhaust there is no better system for a Solex (or Weber) U20 than JT68's stainless steel system. Stop shopping. :)
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Are there any sound files of different mufflers? Otherwise it seems like trial and error to pick a system.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

I have one of JT68's systems on my sr20 car. I sounds exactly as a Roadster should. Pat
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Regarding the sound files, we discussed that some when JT was posting about his system, or something like that... We decided that the problem lies with the fact that your little computer speakers couldn't possibly reproduce the sound accurately, so they are of limited use. Some use, but limited.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

I took some video of Shannon's JT68 exhaust at Solvang. But I thought this thread was about muffler's, not entire systems?
Alvin wrote:Shannon, it was good seeing you at Solvang, and thank you for demonstrating the sound of your new exhaust system. JT68 you have made a great product.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

dynaguy wrote:I have one of JT68's systems on my sr20 car. I sounds exactly as a Roadster should. Pat
I have one of JT68's systems in my trunk I hope it will sound as a Roadster should when and if I get my car
running good enough to get it installed ... :(

Will report on it then too 8)
Hang on out there those of you wanting a JT68 system as I might have one at deep discount someday :wink:
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Yes, it was just about replacing the muffler only... Mission creep!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Alvin wrote:I took some video of Shannon's JT68 exhaust at Solvang. But I thought this thread was about muffler's, not entire systems?
Alvin wrote:Shannon, it was good seeing you at Solvang, and thank you for demonstrating the sound of your new exhaust system. JT68 you have made a great product.
Thank all of you for the kind words on the SS exhaust systems!

Also do sell the mufflers separately and typically have both 2" and stock 1 3/4" size on hand. They are polished 316 SS. Even did a couple designed to fit nicely inside the frame-X and some nice pipe systems for those too.

I could build some of these pieces in 2.25" after the X for KA cars, but 2" precision formed (no muffler shop bends) is really perfect for non-turbo 2000's.

PM for more info of course// jt
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

If you want a ~$25.00 gamble, try the CherryBomb turbo, probably can be gotten in the same layout as the Flowmaster so it's a quick swap. Sound great in the smaller sizes.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

So, on Weds I took the Roadster out to check on a few repairs. While out, I decided to get the exhaust looked at to find out what is rattling. Turns out the ol dynomax turbo muffler had a broken baffle so it was time for a replacement. The guys talked me into a Flowmaster 40. Open chamber design. Took it out for a drive down the freeway... hated it! My old muffler was relatively loud, but not killer, and had a deeper tone. These open chamber mufflers have, well, and open chamber sound, kinda like an empty can. It rumbles, but it also raps a bit (this is with a Monza tip on the end too). Going back next week to swap it out for a Magnaflow turbo which they say is quieter and with a deeper, rich tone. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA