Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: overheating issues

Post by RBMann »

ed B-

I'll be doing the same thing soon and was told to just turn the engine over until TDC in #1. The piston stops the valves from dropping in #1. Then find TDC for the next cylinder and do them one at a time. No need for compressed air or the risk of air turning the crank.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

RBMann wrote:ed B-

I'll be doing the same thing soon and was told to just turn the engine over until TDC in #1. The piston stops the valves from dropping in #1. Then find TDC for the next cylinder and do them one at a time. No need for compressed air or the risk of air turning the crank.
Rick,

Thanks for the tip, we'll try it out.
1969 1600
Cale1600
Roadster Newby

Post by Cale1600 »

I wanted to chime in here as I was struggling with overheating issues and found a different solution than what was written here. I couldn't keep my car cool so I replaced the radiator with a new 3 row set up, new water pump, belt, thermostat and thermostat housing and still struggled to keep it below 200 degrees. Head gasket was next on my list but it turns out the rubber gasket on the thermostat housing cap was bad and wasn't keeping a good seal. This was releasing pressure and not allowing the fluid to circulate through the radiator. Replaced the cap and she now runs at a cool 160.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

You can buy just the rubber gasket for the cap, or make your own as well, so that you don’t have to buy a new cap.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.