New Seat Foam

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Damian
Site Supporter

New Seat Foam

Post by Damian »

I am getting my 69's seats redone. The foam in the driver seat bottom needs to be replaced completely (looks like a dog just dug it out). An upholstery guy in SF I got a quote from said if I could get some new foam and webbing then it would be quicker process. Is there anywhere to get this? Couldn't find anything in my quick Google search. Seems like the guy quoted me pretty high even if I provide everything, $500.

Could 70's 240z foam work? Looks about the same. :?:
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: New Seat Foam

Post by Nissanman »

I left the sourcing of materials and repair of my seats to my Motor Trimmer.
That quote seems to be very high to me :shock:
There is something you need to bear in mind when getting the seats done though.
DO NOT make the squab too thick, make it the same thickness as the original foam.
This will ensure that you will have the same headroom as before :idea:
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I have no idea where you could get OEM foam, but I also am quite sure 240 Z seat foam will NOT work, much flatter.
I would source my own slab/slabs of foam and carve a close proximity to the original profile with a nice electric carving knife.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

The seat covers are not that hard to make if the old ones can be used as templets by ripping apart the stitching . I made mine after finding it would be a month and the quote was... huh?
pic on my post somewhere
kind of tough to find thick enough vinyl,I searched for a while , you could even do leather, I have a tough import sewing machine cost of mine was $75 + 7-8 hours of time
premolded OEM seat foam ? doubtful ...may have to try it to know
Sewing stores have some foam there is always the R/C plane way to cut out foam wings that would work- hot wire
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
mikeb
Site Supporter

Post by mikeb »

There are also specialty electric hot knives that are made to cut foam and plastic.

Harbor Freight sells one, although I can't speak to its quality.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

That $500 quote is absurd. I brought a set of Dean's covers to Amadeus Upholstery in Manhattan Beach and he charged me around $300 for installation, all new foam and webbing in both seats. Check out his Yelp reviews. He does tons of high-end upholstery work for the classic car/hot rod scene here in the South Bay. You won't be disappointed.
Last edited by bakerjf on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Btw, that included the headrests...
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Damian
Site Supporter

Post by Damian »

I got another quote from Top Notch Upholstery in SJ, which another member on here used, for $450. that includes new webbing, foam, covers, and headrests. The guy said the leather straps for the webbing is what makes it a little more expensive, but will last a lot longer. He will also mold some new foam for the driver seat. He can use the passenger as reference since it is all there.
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Saw the "SF" and assumed San Fernando Valley, sorry. Might be helpful to include your location on your signature line, or not use abbreviations... As to price, don't know if that is a good deal or not - are those covers going to be the original pattern, or something "nice" - or the cheapest material the guy can find? Also, you don't need leather straps - new cars don't use them, what they do use (which is undoubtedly cheaper) will likely outlive you and me.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Damian
Site Supporter

Post by Damian »

My location is located under my name, right? Well the cheaper strapping sample he showed me was like an elastic material. A bit like the stuff that keeps your underwear up. The leather (or leather like) material seemed much better quality and will hold its position better. The covers are original like material.
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

If original pattern, then that sounds like deal!
As far as your location, I don't see anything like that "under your name." I had to click on your user name to view your profile for that info. If you look at my posts, "Nissanman's", "notoptoy", etc, we all include what we think is relevant information in a signature section. I don't see that on any of your posts.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

The rubber straps under the seats can be tightened up with new holes punched. Easy to do. Or upholstery webbing is strong enough to use also.
In larger cities you can go to a foam shop and get pieces to carve as mentioned.
I think the seat covers are good enough for most drivers and you just slip them on, also easy. Lots of pics around of cars with them on.
All of which should cost way less than 450.
BTDT.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
RBMann
Roadsteraholic

Post by RBMann »

bakerjf wrote:If original pattern, then that sounds like deal!
As far as your location, I don't see anything like that "under your name." I had to click on your user name to view your profile for that info. If you look at my posts, "Nissanman's", "notoptoy", etc, we all include what we think is relevant information in a signature section. I don't see that on any of your posts.

Now I am confused? On the left I see damian name, under it roadster newby, date joined, number of posts and location: San Francisco. On bakerjf post I see his name on the left, under it site supporter, date joined and number of posts. At the bottom of his post I see his signature and car info but no location.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
MatFog
Roadster Nut

Post by MatFog »

I just got my seats redone at David Brothers in Berkeley. I ordered the covers online and it was $300 for both seats, including foam and webbing (not headrests).

Problem is they used a flat piece of foam for the seat and didn't carve anything. Its very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have pictures (or measurements) of what the seat foam should look like?
Damian
Site Supporter

Post by Damian »

So Top Notch was not so good. First he tried to say that we agreed upon a much high price, which I refuted. After a minute, he was like "ok ok" and gave me the original price with a little extra for the quality strips. I glanced over them when I picked them because I had to go to work, once I got home I took a closer look and one headrest stitching was way off the seat back stitching lines. Now I have to take it back and explain and get it fixed. The other headrest is good, but I wish the stitches from the seat back to the headrest lined up a little more. You can see from the attached pictures. What do you think about the better one? Good? Stock enough?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs