The Side-Pipe Roadster

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Alvin
Roadsteraholic

The Side-Pipe Roadster

Post by Alvin »

The infamous Side-Pipe roadster is back on the road! Raul (roadsterdude) let me exercise her today and I took a few pictures of this little hot rod. A little history first...she made her first debut at the Z's By The Bay Show back in 2002:
It's been in storage for years until recently. Did you know the previous owner built sister cars to this one? Carbon copies except for reversed paint schemes.

The paint on Raul's is excellent with almost a pearl effect. The maroon stripes carry through the interior.

You might notice lots of nifty mods/parts all over this roadster, starting with those side-pipes!

They are on both sides of the car and functional, ie the header splits into two pipes right after the flex pipe.
The wheels/tires are 15x7 Panasports, 0 offset with 185/55/15 tires. Ground clearance was terrible even with these tires so Raul mounted stockers to gain some speed bump clearance :)

I was surprised how good the exhaust system sounded. Not loud at all. The Solexes are actually louder depending on what rpm. Yes, this SPL came with a U20/5 speed! Engine #00463. Comp Oil pan too. Check out the Solexes thought they aren't your average Mikunis!
In 2002:
Mark (datsunrides) of J-Cars sorted out the carbs and fabbed this cool fuel supply line:

Here is a short video of sounds she makes, enjoy!

More details:
Side vents, punches in the hood, front bumper bar and split/shaped rear bumpers.

Diamond plate hints of what's to come!

Interior:
The car actually came with red 67.5 seats/factory headrests but Raul recently swapped these out for Miata units. I don't like the look but man they feel alot better.

Diamond plate is everywhere!

Note rollbar mount location:

Chrome tub surround is a nice touch:

She's a great driver too, thanks Raul! Will the side-pipes stay or go? Stay tuned!
Last edited by Alvin on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Re: The Side-Pipe Roadster

Post by spl310 »

Some interesting details on that car. Somewhere there is a 67.5 2000 owner coveting that block...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

I like the bumpers, both front and rear.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

I like everything but the tread plate. Even with the tread plate, I would be happy to own and drive it! Great looking car. I love the paint.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
DivinDave
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DivinDave »

I'm kinda digging it. Nice detail work and very unique. Front bumper is cool. But the ground clearance would be brutal around here, which is speed bump in every side street.
Dave
'70 2L srl 13385. Not a beauty yet, but a great runner!
'70 1600 spl 29608. Running again and looking pretty good.
http://www.DiveHatteras.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Lovin' it.
split bumpers aligning with center stripe, punched holes very tasteful, front bumper improvisational thing going on.
truly a statement, and cannot be anything but admired for its vision. Great stuff, and suitably irreverent (usually my choice)
Needs red leather boot for the rubber sombrero around the shifter, to tie in the gauge trim rings.

What makes the side pipes work, like 16 x 5.5's with 185's on there?

Great car, congrats on the whole look.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
roxie007
Forum Newb

Post by roxie007 »

Hi Raul! I was the original owner of your Silver Datsun..I just came across your cool videos! I miss the car a lot..I'm glad it went to a great guy..I just recent came across the Red 67.5 with the silver stripes and with the same mods with your silver one. Me and friend did a few back in the 90's..the red one was for sale a couple a weeks ago and I bought it back. The problem is they pulled out the U20 and tranny and was planning to do a sr20 swap so now I'm looking for U20, great to see the car...take care! P.S. my friend has an original 67.5 with matching U20 engine..barn find.

Robert
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Hey Robert...Was always wondering...In the Silver car, where did that U20 come from?

Recall it was a low numbered U20 block? Just curious.
Dan
Houston, TX
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Very close to the block number from my roadster SRL #305.

Interesting treatment. I have side exhaust drivers side only with the header that wraps around the frame rail. We have to tuck the exhaust behind the lower kick panel to clear the ground loading it on and off trailers.

The roll cage mounts make me a little nervous however. Looks nice, but not something I would want to test.

R
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
roxie007
Forum Newb

Post by roxie007 »

Hi Dan, on U20 engine..we got very lucky back then and found that engine in Victorville, CA. The car was nowhere to be found only the U20 so we installed it in the silver datsun. The solex carbs was purchased in San Diego via Recycler Ad...no Craigslist yet..lol

As I mentioned, I've found the red datsun that also had a low number engine, but unfortunately they took out the engine.
roadsterdude
Site Supporter

Post by roadsterdude »

roxie007 wrote:Hi Raul! I was the original owner of your Silver Datsun..I just came across your cool videos! I miss the car a lot..I'm glad it went to a great guy..I just recent came across the Red 67.5 with the silver stripes and with the same mods with your silver one. Me and friend did a few back in the 90's..the red one was for sale a couple a weeks ago and I bought it back. The problem is they pulled out the U20 and tranny and was planning to do a sr20 swap so now I'm looking for U20, great to see the car...take care! P.S. my friend has an original 67.5 with matching U20 engine..barn find.

Robert

Hello Robert,

Great to see you are back in the roadster world.
I tried to get a hold of the guy you bought the car from to get some info on the U20 engine but his cell number is no longer working.

Thanks for posting about the twin sister of my car.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

I have been watching over the Side-Pipe roadster for several years.

It is fun to drive, with excellent steering (zero slop) and front suspension. The only thing holding me back from driving it often is the side-exit exhaust system. It was just too low to take anywhere--scraping on speed bump, driveways, etc. Exhaust smell, and hot pipes also got annoying. It was kind of awkward looking, imho. Returning the exhaust back to stock was top priority for Raul and I. You can hear it below:

We finally took it to a local muffler shop to remove the side-pipes and install a stock-style system.
Here is Andy cutting off the side-pipes:
You can see tabs welded to the body, followed by a picture of all the dirt/grass that's been scooped up by the low-hanging exhaust :lol:
Cutting at the Y portion, intact:
Pipes trashed:

A flex-pipe was welded on, 1/3/4" piping:

Generic muffler:

Megaphone tip:

I think it looks much better now!

Here are a few sound clips. From the driver's seat it's 95% Solex sound only, with exhaust only audible at low speed.
Enjoy:

The car is less smelly and I feel much happier driving it. Now we are looking forward to putting more miles on her!
Last edited by Alvin on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Much better.
Whats next?
Z wheels w/chrome lugnuts?
Work 03s?
Shakotans!
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

While it was unique, I agree this is more practical and I do think it looks and sounds better now.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

pebbles wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:53 am Much better.
Whats next?
Z wheels w/chrome lugnuts?
Work 03s?
Shakotans!
Wide steelies would look awesome on this car