1968 SPL-311 SR20DE #18547
"Gentlemen, start your wallets!"
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Weather Strip

Post by Solex68 »

Kendall124 wrote:Oh, one more... carpet / vinyl first???
There is a good write up for the vinyl install below. Do the vinyl before the carpet.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10176

...and a parallel thread for weather strip that I started yesterday.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21510

Looks like we are in the same boat and doing similar tasks.

Not sure if you bought weather strip for the door's window channel. I did. Thought I could just slip it in. "No way, Jose". I almost by-passed it and was going to move on but instead I went forward and found out, it is really easy to remove the door window completely and then get to the channel weather strip. If you need help on it, let me know. I still have to do my other door. I should take photos in the process.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
u20talkintome
Site Supporter

Post by u20talkintome »

Yes, please add pics of the door channel installation! I too am at this stage and have the channel felt and thought the same thing, the old one isn't that bad:)
Thanks
Bruce
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

u20talkintome wrote:Yes, please add pics of the door channel installation! I too am at this stage and have the channel felt and thought the same thing, the old one isn't that bad:)
Thanks
Bruce
Bruce,
I didn't do mine passenger side channel week, so no pictures yet, Can you wait till next week? If I get anxious I will do it after work one day. It will be pretty quick, since I did the driver's side.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
u20talkintome
Site Supporter

Post by u20talkintome »

Greg
I'm not in a hurry so next week is fine! Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

u20talkintome wrote:Greg
Bruce
OK. Curious...Are you going to Solvang?
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
u20talkintome
Site Supporter

Post by u20talkintome »

No, not going to Solvang this year. I still have to sort some engine and brake issues. I will definitely try for next year though!!!!
Thanks
Bruce
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

u20talkintome wrote:Greg
Bruce
I did the passenger door channel today and took pictures. I will do a write up tomorrow. Be aware...I am just another guy working on a Datsun. I don't claim to be an expert by any means.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

Installing the door vertical track weather strip

Preface: I am no expert in this field, this is just how I did it. There are probably better ways to do the same thing. Don’t force anything as you don’t want to break the glass. Pay attention as I use the word channel to describe the rail the window rollers ride along and I use it to describe the place where the glass channel weather strip is located

Read the entire post before beginning as you may want to replace the window limiters (upper and lower) or you may want to get someone with a welder lined up for a visit.

Click on any photo to see it full screen

1. Roll the window down
01.JPG
2. Remove 3 screws securing the triangle window
02.jpg
3. Remove the two screws on the door jam. You may hear the rear bracket drop, don’t worry.
03.jpg
4. Roll up the window until you see the upper limiter (this limits everyone from rolling your window so high it falls out).
04.jpg
5. Remove the Upper Window Limiter
05.jpg
6. Roll the window down at least halfway. Remove the triangle widow. Work it out carefully. Make sure the window will not drop while you remove the triangle. I didn’t have any issues but it is worth mentioning

7. Two person step. Work the window out of the door cavity. It may take a little rocking back and forth. Pay attention to the rollers and the gaps in the roller channel. The window may require rolling up or down to get the angle to remove the glass. There is a nut on the rail that faces outward toward the outside door handle, that nut may get caught up on the door. Work with the window to get past that point. One window of removal was quick and painless and the other side took a lot more work to get the window out.
07.jpg
8. Once your window is out. Remove the rear window weather strip channel. The rear channel is notorious to have the bottom angle break off. Before you install new channel material there, take the pieces to a welder and have them weld it back (Roman adds: "have the welder re-enforce the brace). The rear channel and the triangle piece should get new weather stripping.
08.jpg
9. Remove the old weather strip, clean the channel and start gluing in the new piece. Cut the two long pieces first (the triangle window channel), Then cut the smaller ones. The one I removed had about an inch extra that hung below the bottom. Since my weather strip was long enough to do the same, I did. Look at the photo up close and you can see an extra inch of weather strip that extends farther than the bottom of the rear rail. I used “Permatex 81731 Super Weatherstrip Adhesive”. I used yellow because I think it actually looks good if a little yellow peeks though (vintage look) but feel free to buy the black 3M version. Follow the instructions. It will bond much better if you coat both sides then wait, then one more layer to one side and apply.

10. I used a rounded edge tool to press the weather strip tight into the weather strip channel. The edge of the window can also be used to push the weather strip in evenly. Put you hand inside the door and remove and debris. You may be surprised what you find. Replace the lower door stop while you have access. I found mine rolling around the driver side door and I didn’t know what it was until later. Luckily I had saved it and returned it back using the same clip that is used to hold door panels on. Romans adds: This is a good time to re-grease everything so it works smoothly for a long time.

11. To reassemble the window, install the rear door channel but keep the screws loose

12. With the window crank up slide the glass back into the door, pay attention to aligning the roller to the window roller channel. You may have to roll the window up and or down to get the alignment correct. Pay attention as the there are two rollers that must fit into the channel.
12A.jpg
12B.jpg
13. Drop in the triangle window, align and tighten the 3 screws.

14. Tighten the two screws holding the rear weather strip channel

15. Install the Upper Window Limiter
16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Solex68 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

Good Write up. Thanks for taking the time, the pics, and being so detailed in your process. Many will find this to be of the utmost of help.

cheers,
Roman

Ps. You did forget to mention that this is a good time to re-grease everything so it works smoothly for a long time. 8)

I have some comments on this if you don't mind.

This is a very common breakage point.
I had one break, had it welded, and it broke a week later. Pissed me off! I took it out had it re-welded. Except this time I made a steel reinforcement and had that welded onto the rail as well. Never had a problem again.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Great write up, and I think it belongs in the Wiki - stay tuned.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

RFR wrote:Good Write up. Thanks for taking the time, the pics, and being so detailed in your process. Many will find this to be of the utmost of help.

cheers,
Roman

Ps. You did forget to mention that this is a good time to re-grease everything so it works smoothly for a long time. 8)

I have some comments on this if you don't mind.

This is a very common breakage point.
I had one break, had it welded, and it broke a week later. Pissed me off! I took it out had it re-welded. Except this time I made a steel reinforcement and had that welded onto the rail as well. Never had a problem again.
Roman,
You bring up two excellent points.
1. After I had finished I thought...why didn't I apply some grease while I was in there?
2. One of my tabs had been welded once and it had broken again.
Good thoughts. I added your tips.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
u20talkintome
Site Supporter

Post by u20talkintome »

Excellent write up! I will give it a try hopefully this weekend!!! One last pic would be nice of the finished product!

Thanks!
Bruce
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

u20talkintome wrote:Excellent write up! I will give it a try hopefully this weekend!!! One last pic would be nice of the finished product!

Thanks!
Bruce
I will take a couple of post shots and add them in the next couple of days...or...see it live at SOLVANG !
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Excellent write up for this.
My vertical window track has the broken piece mentioned. What kind of reinforcement piece should I bring to the welder? Looks like it was welded before like many others have stated.
3866ED6D-1228-47E6-AA58-7C0DC9766F8F.jpeg
Thx
Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.