Miata Seats in 68 Roadster (Help)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

GoKart2013
Roadster Fanatic

Miata Seats in 68 Roadster (Help)

Post by GoKart2013 »

I had heard this but just wanted to confirm do the Mazda Miata Seats fit in a 68 Roadster?? If so do new holes need to be drilled or do they fit in the existing holes?? Please help. What year miata seats have the best fitment??
68 SRL- GoKart
2000 TLC in Progress
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: Miata Seats in 68 Roadster (Help)

Post by Alvin »

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... MiataSeats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
GoKart2013
Roadster Fanatic

Post by GoKart2013 »

Thank you sir.. Like em will pick a set.
68 SRL- GoKart
2000 TLC in Progress
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

if you are keeping/restoring the red interior try to find the red leather Miata seats:
http://www.superstreetonline.com/featur ... to_10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

I think for the most part they are all the same as far as alignment is concerned.
They do NOT use existing holes insamuch as they use 1/2 inch bolts whereas the datsun uses 3/8.

You can POSSIBLY use the locating pin on the bottom of the seats to fit in an original hole, I did) though most people (i believe) cut them off.

One thing to make sure of is to align the track with the seats as far back as possible (especially if you have speakers installed in the lower cutout) since they are wider than the roadster ones and the seat release could otherwise impact the side of the car or speaker(if installed)

Suggestion - create a template for the seat locating holes using cardboard. Turn the seat over and place some cardboard over the bottom. Force the locating pin through the cardboard and using a screwdriver punch a hole though the template for each hole - locate on the floor of the car where you want the seats to 'sit' tape the template to the floor - remove seat and drill.
You can 'reverse' the template for the opposite side.

CAVEATS
The floor is convoluted so there is a metal strip welded in on top of it on both sides of the seat wells. Best to locate your holes on top of this strip.
Best to add something on the underside (large metal plate/washer) to strengthen the union and put rubber washers between plate and floor to avoid water penetration.
Cover all the soon to be open holes (from the outside) - see above

They are not stock, but personaly I love them - especially for the passenger - more lumbar support and if you want to hook them up - speakers in the headrest ,and they 'recline' much more than the roadster seats.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
MT68SRL311
Site Supporter

Post by MT68SRL311 »

Thanks for the write up. It looks like the "lumpectomy" is not necessary.
Matt
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

One of my Miata seats (Passenger) has a black painted bolt that is pressed permanently into the bottom part of the slide. It's hitting the bolt that attaches the rail slide to the seat bottom when I try to slide the seat rail, so I was thinking of cutting it off. I do not see this bolt on the miata part list but regardless it's on the handle lever side, lower, rear part of the passenger seat slide. Funny the driver seat does not have this bolt or does the other side of the passenger seat. The arrow leads to the problem bolt. What is this bolts purpose? Ask twice, cut once...
IMG_3058.jpg
IMG_3055.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I put a pair of Miata seats in my 67 after a lot of reworking the mounts with cutting wheel and MIG
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
bobd
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

I removed the metal strips on the floor, cleaned up the floor, and then welded in thicker strips before mounting the Miata seats ( it was a lot of work). The Miata seats are way more comfortable
'69 1600 with SR20DE
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

I’m doing them in a 70 and I like the template idea. Here’s some stuff I’ve found for the seats.
Covers
www.mrmikes.com/miata_to_triumph.htm
Speakers
www.3rdstrategy.com/catalog1.html

I plan on using both. I’ve seen Mikes Miata seat covers in a TR6 and they looked sharp.

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
bobd

Post by bobd »

charlee0620 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:23 pm I’m doing them in a 70 and I like the template idea. Here’s some stuff I’ve found for the seats.
Covers
www.mrmikes.com/miata_to_triumph.htm
Speakers
www.3rdstrategy.com/catalog1.html

I plan on using both. I’ve seen Mikes Miata seat covers in a TR6 and they looked sharp.

Cheers
Matthew
Thank you!

Those speaker kits are a solution I have been looking for.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

I used the less expensive Ebay covers. They were only $110 for the pair. Mr. Mikes are a better product for sure but these are in no way bad. One problem with these is the edge of the covers could use a stronger line to hold the hog rings. (there is no line actually, just a hem sowed in.) So when these ware out I will most likely go with Mikes. The speakers are great!
Michael Montez
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

For those of you that have used Miata seats WITHOUT a roll bar, how have you dealt with the shoulder harness? Has anyone bolted a guide to the side of the seats so that the seat belt does not slide down the side? It looks like the shoulder harness portion of the seat belt on a Miata is mounted high on the B pillar so this is not an issue, but since it is low on the roadster it seems that this will be an problem.