What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Linda »

Console looks nice. That is on myTo-Do list .....

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
guyatou
Roadster Fanatic

Post by guyatou »

Thanks! Mine had a decent plastic cover on it, but this is much better. I previously painted the metal black and that was a mistake. It never looked quite right to me.
Michael D.
Oklahoma City
1968 SRL-311
1930 Model A Ford
insta: @downesphoto
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Last week I purchased and installed .75 pump jets in my Dellortos, trying to get rid of a lean condition anytime I would ease into the throttle. I was thinking the pump system simply did not work well, and I even purchased a rebuild kit thinking it might be weak. When I bought the Dellortos new the carbs had come with .42 pumps with 40mm venturies and was jetted for a Lotus, so I had increased pump jet sizes a bit at a time, thinking that a 2 liter Lotus would demand at least as much as a modified U20. I went .50, then .55, then .60.. still no joy, and they only go to .80. At $25 a set, it was a bit frustrating to buy a set and quickly learn they didn't solve the problem, as they now became pretty little useless pieces of brass in my Dellorto parts box. I decided to try one more time, and finally the problem was solved with the .75. No more hesitation, and my A/F meter says it's Happy!
The other thing I learned is that I am (was) still only getting 3/4 throttle. Earlier I had tried to fix this by working on the pedal itself but had failed. I floored the pedal and locked it in place with the hand throttle. Looking down the carb throats and moving the linkage by hand showed the throttle plates still had about 20% more movement before being fully open. After looking things over, the only way to get more pedal movement was to adjust the metal plate that acts as the pedal stop and that holds the throttle and hand throttle cables. This was done by unbolting it from the firewall and, using only one mounting bolt, moving it forward. Now the pedal has more movement and when floored the carbs are fully open... more power to be had! Apparently I ran her on the dyno last summer at 3/4 throttle, and with the pumps working right I may be able to go from the 37mm to the 40mm venturies and have it much happier. I look forward to rerunning it this spring to see what it really does. Unfortunately the fix leaves the cable mount with only one mounting bolt and a bit intrusive, so I'm gonna ask the group if someone has another I can modify as I don't want to cut mine without a back up. I hope to go test it today, but we've had tons of rain here lately so we'll see. Weather like this is a good reason to work on those nagging issues eh? Given my throttle issues, It may be worth others checking to make sure they're not short changing yourself with 3/4 throttle. If mine is any example, these parts wear over the years. My pedal was maximally adjusted and as much of the slop as I could get out of it was done.
Always messing with it!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Went up the local SGV mt to Crystal Lake yesterday to really test out the newest Air Filter/Stack combo on a shake down run. Since hogging out the SU by thinning throttle shafts and profiling the piston air entry I’ve noticed the stock SU stacks and filter to be very restrictive. Got me some Brit 3in Stacks but since they won’t fit stock backing plate I cut off the stacks on a plate donated by Ray Lim and installed the new ones. Much better low/Mid torque. And since the stock air filter would not fit the longer 3in I trimmed down some rain gutter mesh and added a pantyhose stretched over it for a filtering medium. Just a temp medium but this car can really breath now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Finally got a pair of the Watanabes on. I bought a set of studs from Dave @ Futofab, and ended up only needing to do the front hubs, since I'm running his 1/8" spacer. I needed the spacers so that my old mesh wheels would clear the Volvo calipers. Well, this was the same case with the Wats. Luckily the studs on the rear drums met the minimum thread engagement for a 7/16" stud, so I left those alone.

These are 14x6" +15. Azenis are 195/60's. I'm also running Mike Young's lowering springs.

Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Got some 3 pin locking connectors from Vintage Connections, now Sparck Moto, and terminals and worked on securing the starter harness junction. Cleaned up the other connectors and terminals in the area also. I messed up more than a few terminals, so would not recommend attempting most terminal repair jobs without a good supply of terminals and some heat shrink tubing and good crimpers. I ordered around 25 of each terminal previously and they come in handy. This all should hold better now for the time being.
Linda
Last edited by Linda on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

Took a break from the "dirty work" on the survivor car. Decided to try my hand at the steering wheel wrap. I had already repaired a crack at the left spoke. Test fitted the wrap, thought maybe I'd see if adding a bicycle inner tube would make it better. After test fit with tube in place, I went back to without it. Lots of hand work with aging, arthritic hands but am happy with the results. Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S Allen
Site Admin
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Looks great. Which cover did you use?

S
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8 ... UTF8&psc=1

I think it's the one you mentioned. Fit well.
S Allen
Site Admin
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

They were out of stock and no expected availability. I ended up going WheelSkins for 3x the money. WheelSkins fits like a glove. I will be stiching it on today.

S
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Polishing using the brown stick and tapered buff pad by HF:
F5194D6C-C56B-4EEC-B735-386DD5AC8C5E.jpeg
Finished with green stick

Linda
Last edited by Linda on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

That looks great Linda. I will get that done someday. Maybe even this summer.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Choosing the right compound is key. These domes are off my old carbs before I got the Z Therapy set. They were pretty good and had been polished before.But I am getting this carb set ready for sale, so thought I would start some buffing.
The brown stick, known as “ Tripoli” I think is a 3 on their polishing scale. I had used the green stick before which is a 6, after some wet sanding with paper when they were polished years ago. That took more time but helpful if you have deep scratches. To just polish what you have, use the brown 3 and it looks quite good and happens quick. The buff tools fit a standard drill and come in different shapes, so that works pretty well and better than a bench buffer for some jobs.
I will be doing the valve cover and wheels next which is where these tools really help.
Nice to do mechanical work, then some shiny cosmetic work for a change of pace.
Linda
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

Got the rebuilt heater control valve installed on the '66 survivor. Sure was easy job with engine out.
vorpal
Roadster Fanatic

Post by vorpal »

Got the infamous red painted bumpers stripped, powdercoated and re-installed on my 67.5 1600. Finally installed on Sunday:

Before:

Sunday install:

Pulled the windshield to address the rotten weatherstripping as well:

Rob
1969 Datsun 2000 Solex # 12921
1967.5 Datsun 1600 # 14262
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo
another 1990 300ZX Turbo
1993 300ZX Convertible
new garage DONE Oct 2019!!!
Edmonton, Canada