What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Linda »

No longer frustrated. Have to think of a new name
How about "Perseverance"? :)

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
S Allen
Site Admin
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Frustrated,

Glad to hear you got most of your issues resolved. Sounds like you are now enjoying the ride.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
less frustrated
Site Supporter

Post by less frustrated »

Hey, I like that, perseverance. I also like the offer in spellcheck as a vanity tag: perverseness. Too long though. I thank everyone who helped along the way. Now I have to decide who gets it when I croak.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Bled the brakes.
An easy job with speed bleeders....
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gizmo
Roadster Newby

Post by Gizmo »

I am a day late :)

Yesterday, I set out to do two things and both were successful:

1.) removed marks from the hood that were the result of road debris. Someone had lost the plastic lid to a storage container on I-405 and it was kicked up by the travel trailer that I was stuck behind. I watched as the lid scraped across the hood and was thankful it didn't hit the windshield or come into the passenger compartment. It left marks on the hood. I could feel the marks and wasn't sure I would be able to remove them without having the hood repainted. I decided to try Mother's "Clay Bar" and was able to remove the marks. I even followed the instructions.

2.)My basically stock U20, has always felt as if it runs "out of breath" beyond 5,000 RPM. I have been running the N17 needles. I replaced the N17's with "RA" needles. The results generated a lot of smiles. Not totally dialed in yet, but the engine is huffing and puffing like a good little U20 should.

Jerry
68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by 68DSU »

Baby steps but it is good to have it up and running again.
I'm going through the spare parts boxes and putting stuff back on. Today was a mirror (cracked) and the license plate along with the alternate trunk latch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

well , I've been playing with this idea for about a year now and been waiting for a roll bar to come up with something using it instead of PVC painted black . anyway it cools down here every evening during summer and of course winter But it's still very nice out if not the wind hitting the back of your neck .. this wouldn't work with the top connected and I put it up maybe 2ce a year for steady rain .. anyway I like the feeling of privacy but still open . it keeps grabby hands from walking by and snatching something from inside , Blocks the wind ! I don't even need a hat on freeway :-) And you can still see through it . anyway if there's anyone who's biggest complante is cool wind on the neck and hair blowing forward , this is the ticket .. just in case I'm not alone on that one ..
oh it's a torn trampoline cut and tailored hooked onto the black thing there along the metal horseshoe shape back . I'm sure there's a name for it but ..... ok that's all for now . oh and yes , the heat just sits in the pocket all nicely ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

yes my car is a mess . ugh

spags1986
Roadster Fanatic

Post by spags1986 »

Installed my 1500 grille from Jim ( @jt68 )! Jim really helped me out last week with getting me out my products quickly and accurately. The Monday before my car show I decided to lower the roadster and asked Jim if he can get a set out asap. The springs arrived on time and car sat perfect after the easy install. Then last night after getting my 2L grille back from chrome I put Jim's 1500 insert in and installed it on the car...huge difference! Thanks again Jim.
20181011_071843.jpg
1967.5 2000 (In Frame off restoration)
1966 1600
1969 2000
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

hey all . if anyone needs those micro bearings in their distributor, between the two plates inside , (not the ones at the backside of plates . ) I have 1000 of them .. 2mm steel bearings .. hit me up and I'll mail you some (NC)

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Shift boot was loose, letting in noise and heat and whatever else enters the cabin. So i yanked it up :shock:
Found the lower shifter bushing in the boot!?! Further investigation results determined that the nut was also missing.
Robbed one from another. Trans feels like new now :D Boot secured and sealed.
Replaced the exhaust. Added a flex pipe. 1 3/4” to the muffler, 2” tailpipe. Its LOUD. No leaks!
Removed the drivers seat and made a few adjustments for comfort. Reinstalled. Better.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

pebbles wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:10 pm Shift boot was loose, letting in noise and heat and whatever else enters the cabin. So i yanked it up :shock:
Found the lower shifter bushing in the boot!?! Further investigation results determined that the nut was also missing.
Robbed one from another. Trans feels like new now :D Boot secured and sealed.
Replaced the exhaust. Added a flex pipe. 1 3/4” to the muffler, 2” tailpipe. Its LOUD. No leaks!
Removed the drivers seat and made a few adjustments for comfort. Reinstalled. Better.
how'd you seal your boot ? mine still let's in exhaust ..

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

The late cars have two boots. One in the tunnel and vinyl glued to the shift plate. This car has one that looks stock but is rubber. The lower flange of this boot is thick. Sandwiched between the carpet and the shift plate. Two holes in front secured by the shift plate screws. Lets see how long it lasts.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

pebbles wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:19 pm The late cars have two boots. One in the tunnel and vinyl glued to the shift plate. This car has one that looks stock but is rubber. The lower flange of this boot is thick. Sandwiched between the carpet and the shift plate. Two holes in front secured by the shift plate screws. Lets see how long it lasts.
I've tried to create something like this but failed . wouldn't let me shift well . I doubt you have a picture ?? anyway thanks ..

pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Linda wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 am Got the transmission oil changed to a 50/50 mix of Stalube GL4 and Redline MT90 GL4 so will be interesting to see how it works and also if it leaks. I know many stated that the Redline leaked when they changed to it.
My transmission is good, and I am trying to keep it that way.
Linda
Thanks for the tip :wink: i used a 3:1, more less as an additive. Snake oil right?!?! :idea:
My only problem so far is the 3rd gear gate being 3” to the left on the 5 sp compared to the 4sp :oops: :oops:
Transmission is reacting well to the service.
David