What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Lorna c »

2mAn wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm Made some MSD 8.5mm wires. Its a set for a V8 motor, so it had extra long wires. I have a spare set since there was 8 wires... If they sell the crimps and connectors I probably have enough extra to make a few more sets! haha the Roadsters wires are so short compared to what they gave me to use.

Heres an installed pic of the engine bay

and a comparison of the old baby wires to the manly MSD wires haha

Initial impressions were actually a LOT better than what I expected. This past week, I have been fine tuning my distributor to the recommended 20* advance, but it was breaking up pretty hard in the higher RPMs, so I backed it down to 16*... There was still a little bit of breaking up at higher RPMs but it wasnt terrible, nor as bad as 20* was so I left it. With the new wires on, there isnt any breaking up at all, and I think I can take it back up to 20* Overall, Im very happy I did this.
I just switched back the my red ones . My "non kit" from O'Riley we're shooting spark so poorly and under a year old too . Trash . These are doing great still ..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Installed Mini Cooper seat belt retainers. Fairly easy process, have to modify them a bit. Thanks for the info on these Howard. Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Those look great! I posted this install about 8 years ago? I'm surprised that you remembered and found it.
Bob Stolebarger
Forum Newb

Post by Bob Stolebarger »

I sold mine to a good guy named Mike, who I encouraged to register on this site.
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Today I swapped my dead alternator to a GM 1wire with smog mounts. It was easier than anticipated. Followed the Wiki instructions, thanks to Eric Smeby the author I believe. I did not want to deal with extracting a alternator from the exhaust side again. The lower hinge Bolt for the original location is such a pain to remove. I removed the radiator to get at it. Never again. Now I can go back to rejetting the carb. It's already idling better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Converted a teardrop side light to dual element. Put an LED bulb in it. Something I was tinkering with for a while.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:49 pm Set up rollbar after sanding rust and painting to keep rust away . Wrapped up soft .
Ordered 1mm ball bearings for distributor advance plate thing . The teeny tiny ones that I have zero of.. haha now I'll have #150 of them ..I guess I can loose a few now ..haha anyoy need some ?
I need some. They dropped when I took it apart and I found more on the floor than I was supposed to have.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

Curtis wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:25 pm Converted a teardrop side light to dual element. Put an LED bulb in it. Something I was tinkering with for a while.
To cool. I totally want to do that!!

You’re like the wizard of wiring!
MattK
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

charlee0620 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 pm
Curtis wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:25 pm Converted a teardrop side light to dual element. Put an LED bulb in it. Something I was tinkering with for a while.
To cool. I totally want to do that!!

You’re like the wizard of wiring!
Thanks, it's really not hard to do. I'm so buried in harness building right now I had to take a short break after I got the sockets to try it out.

The stock sockets are a little taller. I started with a single element just to see and it worked so got some double sockets. The locating tabs on the contact plate stick out a little so I filed them down. The shorter socket works well so the LED bulb will fit under the lens.
66 stroker, almost done.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 pm
Lorna c wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:49 pm Set up rollbar after sanding rust and painting to keep rust away . Wrapped up soft .
Ordered 1mm ball bearings for distributor advance plate thing . The teeny tiny ones that I have zero of.. haha now I'll have #150 of them ..I guess I can loose a few now ..haha anyoy need some ?
I need some. They dropped when I took it apart and I found more on the floor than I was supposed to have.

You got it . Hope they fit , I just guessed . But as soon as I get them in , I'll mail you like 9 .. I'll message you .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

dynaguy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:15 am Installed Mini Cooper seat belt retainers. Fairly easy process, have to modify them a bit. Thanks for the info on these Howard. Pat
Nice seats .

Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

The great news, I put my Z Therapy carbs on this morning which I traded new wiring for. The car actually idles now.

The bad news, I discovered my exhaust manifold which I had ceramic coated a few years back has cracked at the wye and is blowing exhaust up between the intake manifold runners. Aaaagh!!!
66 stroker, almost done.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Curtis wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:22 pm The great news, I put my Z Therapy carbs on this morning which I traded new wiring for. The car actually idles now.

The bad news, I discovered my exhaust manifold which I had ceramic coated a few years back has cracked at the wye and is blowing exhaust up between the intake manifold runners. Aaaagh!!!
Mine does too a touch , from gasket and small blowout . I'm leaving it for now . Already tried to fix it and got the wrong gasket .ugh.. so that's all for now on that one .. until I feel like torturing myself again..haha

mikeb
Site Supporter

Post by mikeb »

Curtis,

I don't know how large the crack is, but I repaired several cracks in my nissan xterra exhaust manifold with an off the shelf product made by permatex or similar. I was skeptical, but it worked like a charm - you should give it a try. Do you have a flex pipe attached to your manifold?

Mike
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

mikeb wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:33 am Curtis,

I don't know how large the crack is, but I repaired several cracks in my nissan xterra exhaust manifold with an off the shelf product made by permatex or similar. I was skeptical, but it worked like a charm - you should give it a try. Do you have a flex pipe attached to your manifold?

Mike
Well crap, too late. I got pissed off and pulled it off and welded it yesterday. I have the support on the front of it and a flex pipe. These stupid things always crack at the wye. Mine cracked front and back. That's what you get from a 50 year manifold. In the 70's my 1500 cracked too.

I don't like the look of the header but I may give up at some point. There must be a way to reinforce these things. I was thinking about forming a piece to go over the top of it but the back side of the pipe would be a problem. I ended up just welding the two pipes together. seems to solve the problem on the back side but if I recall the front side on my 1500 cracked out again later. I don't recall having the front support on that one and of course no flex pipe.
66 stroker, almost done.