What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Linda »

Clutch slave condition and adjustment is so critical, don't you think?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

I noticed during the last few drives that I was getting a off idle miss only when under load. Car otherwise ran good and idled fine while parked. It had me scratching my head trying to figure this out. Finally noticed that my #1 plug wire had a tiny hole where it connects to the dist cap. Also noticed that it is really in close proximity to the battery hold down post on engine side. I think with the strong MSD spark that it must have been leaking/arching to the closest thing being the post. I slid a old fuel hose and sheathed the metal post on the engine side and problem is gone.
The actual rubber wire cap is lower than the top of battery, the pic is kinda misleading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

nismou20 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:04 am I noticed during the last few drives that I was getting a off idle miss only when under load. Car otherwise ran good and idled fine while parked. It had me scratching my head trying to figure this out. Finally noticed that my #1 plug wire had a tiny hole where it connects to the dist cap. Also noticed that it is really in close proximity to the battery hold down post on engine side. I think with the strong MSD spark that it must have been leaking/arching to the closest thing being the post. I slid a old fuel hose and sheathed the metal post on the engine side and problem is gone.
The actual rubber wire cap is lower than the top of battery, the pic is kinda misleading.
Good catch !
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

This is one reason I always like midnight diagnosis - take the car out to somewhere dark, open the hood and watch. These types of things will "jump out" at you! Good catch indeed.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I think you can use some clear silicone sealant for that. Other choice is Liquid Electrical tape, a black goo in a container that seals insulation.
Otherwise you can buy the MSD caps, boots, terminals or whatever breaks. I use Ebay. I have gotten all of those to repair my MSD wires. Watch for a total or partially broken terminal at either end of the wire which can give poor performance.
15322023355860.jpg
Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Very true Linda as these are my second set of wires and had to replace all terminal ends as they just burn up! MSD puts out some wallop juice! I think now after the ign short/ground debacle I will pursue relocating the battery to the rear. I'll put the battery on one side and 2-Gal backup fuel opposite it. I would like to center it behind rear bulkhead but gas tank is sorta in the way.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I have trouble with the distributor cap loading with carbon. Seems to be an issue with the MSD, hotter coil. I clean it carefully but it still happens .
Linda
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Finally found the source of the poor drive ability and wonky idle on my sr20 car. Moral of the story.....when replacing fuel injectors, do NOT use crappy aftermarket o-rings. They were swollen and mushy, did not seal for beans. Nissan replacements did the trick! Test drive resulted in some "do not try this at home" speeds.

Gonna put as many miles as I can prior to the road trip to Shedd.

Tuesday is take your Roadster to work day.

Pat
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:34 pm This is one reason I always like midnight diagnosis - take the car out to somewhere dark, open the hood and watch. These types of things will "jump out" at you! Good catch indeed.
It seems like dark time is the only time I get anything done . No one "drops by" and distracts you .. :-) this made me look at my sparkplug wires , just because , though ....

70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

Years back my original battery holder got butchered when my shop replaced the battery, and they cut it to fit over the molded ends where a carrying strap snapped in. I replaced it with an aftermarket "generic" holder for group 24 size batteries, but was never satisfied with the look of it.
Aftermarket.jpg
Dean had his reproduction holder back in stock, along with a new tray and reproduction rods and wing nuts in a kit. Much better fit and back to the stock look now.
Reproduction.jpg
-jt
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

Picked up this item today.
Pretty stoked to find a brand new NISMO crank to form the foundation of my long term plan to stroke my R16.
IMG_5839.jpg
-jt
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

70-1600 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:00 pm Picked up this item today.
Pretty stoked to find a brand new NISMO crank to form the foundation of my long term plan to stroke my R16.IMG_5839.jpg

-jt
Crazy what sometimes is still available brand new for these cars!!

In other news, I successfully got the timing at idle to 20* advance. Purrs at idle, gets rowdy at higher RPMs haha breaks up a little though, so not sure what that’s all about... but I’m learning!
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000

Post by garth »

After the weekend's road trip to Gig Harbor Wa to attend the local car show, I noticed the car running rough and very rich at low rpm but relative normal above 3k. I suspected one carb was overfueling badly and fighting the other so I removed the top plates from both Solexes to inspect the jets and chambers. The chambers had moderate fine sediments but the jets were actually free of of large particulates, nevertheless I cleaned and purged jets and chambers with air and carb cleaner. Note the old fuel in the overflow chamber on the right.

After the cleaning I removed the air cleaner as I anticipated the carbs would require re-balancing. When I started the engine It still ran rough and gas poured from both barrels and the overflow port of the forward carb. Not a simple fouled carb!

I pulled the carb apart again and found the needle valve actuator worn down to the point it could not effectively shut off fuel flow. The float had been "jimmied" to compensate for the worn shaft. I was lucky enough to secure replacements for both. The replacement valve on the left works perfectly. The one on the right does not. Actuator lengths differ by 1.0 mm!

I also replaced both float and shaft as well. Engine started and ran without issue after adjusting balance and idle.

Thanks to Ross for tech support and parts. Trip to Shedd next week promises to be free of maintenance related drama!
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Checked my air pressure and brought to 21lbs again , re built distributor , got dwell to 62 and timing to 0° for the first time I think ever and enjoyed how easy the distributors are to tune now they're fixed and not running with chokes half way ingaged .. landed a Non smog distributor to get mailed to me so I don't have to post about it anymore. :-) got my cooling system to stop loosing amymore coolant . Interested in the difference between the smog distributor vs non smog . Wondering if it'll make a huge difference or not . And excited about finding out soon . . The end .

jarhead
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by jarhead »

Performing some "while I'm at it" work. I had to take my flywheel to the machine shop for resurfacing, so, while I'm at it, might as well finally get the front rotors resurfaced as well.
Lee
'66 SPL311-00676