So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Re: So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

Post by RCMike »

Always liked them as a kid..

A month or so ago, one of the Canadian members of the Mercury Comet forum I am on was in town.. I told him he should visit Cars and Coffee in Irvine, CA.. So we took my car and went to look around.. Saw a roadster and remembered that I had always wanted one..

Next thing I know, I'm driving one down the 101...
roadstermike
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by roadstermike »

Well about 15 years ago, I bought my sister in laws family 75 280z. I didn't run but the body was i stright. After changing out the fuel pump and injectors it ran fine. I liked to tinker with it but always wished it was a 240z. So eventually sold it after learning what I did with the car.
Shortly thereafter around year 2000, I saw in one of my car magazines an article on the roadsters. I didn't know datsun made such a cool car. So I set out to get on. I found a few in real bad shape and passed. Then I found my car, it didn't run from the carbs not properly set up. It was solid all around so I bought it. The simply didn't have the chokes hooked up and it ran:-).

I drove it for about a month until the carbs kept sticking so my long journey of pulling it apart started. First the carbs, then the head, then the block, trans ...... I had a bad case of while I am here.o_O. I guess I am one of the guys who like to tinker with the cars. Marriage, two kids and two houses kept me busy for the last decade.

So now my car has a stroker engine with a 5 speed. I just need to finish putting it back together nd I am getting close.:-)
Michael
67.5 2000 clone
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Went looking for a pre-smog car to reduce the miles on my daily driver. Had to be twisty-capable, and had to have a t least a sunroof. Once I ran across a roadster pic, it was down to either a 2L roadster or a 2002. (strokers were not a well known entity, or at least I didn't research down to that level)
I saw a 2002 but it was listed as a Tii, so left the owner a message and pursued a roadster that was the "shop truck" for a Z car restorer in Monrovia, CA. He would throw cases of oil and engine blocks in the pass-seat, so the interior was haired out, but all the mechanics liked to tweak with it, so one of them walked up and said "next to the V8 Z car there, this is the fastest thing in the shop".
I slapped my truck plates on it and drove it home. The next day the 2002 seller called me to say the TII had long since been swapped to a Weber 32/36. Had I known, I'd probably be on a BMW forum, but they'd be long since sick of me and my irreverent approach and want to drive it so mamy miles.
The 2L has stayed intact, but mostly because I fear exactly what Michael described above, getting caught by the "while I am here.." monster, and it being in bits for a decade. Been nursing a weak 2nd gear syncro from the start, and now timing chains as well.
The roadster folks are the best, they are what makes it so memorable.
I now don't run too many days to work, (twice a month?) but participate in 4-5 backroads rallies/tours each year. They are a hoot, and great gearhead talk, interesting vehicles of all marques and states of completion.
One must remember on these events, that you can find yourself in a group that have better equipment, better rubber, more talent, or ALL of the above. I have learned my lesson more than once, and now know to NOT get in over my head.
I'd love to enjoy more car events with my 2 young kids, so a 411 (1st choice) or 510 (close second) might be in my future, keep an eye out for me.
Drive your roadster like it is "the safest motorcycle on the road", don't hang in blind spots, and I am a fan of loud pipes and using the go-pedal as the "here I come" warning button.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
pletch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by pletch »

Drive your roadster like it is "the safest motorcycle on the road", don't hang in blind spots, and I am a fan of loud pipes and using the go-pedal as the "here I come" warning button.

Fergus, I thought I was the only one that thought like this....
Ken
DATSTER

69 SRL KA24DEsc
04 Honda CRV
13 Kia Soul +

Pleasanton, CA
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

1976 - after a number of spills from my 350 Honda, decided 4 wheels was way to go. Initially thoughts turned towards '56/'75 Chevies, then a friend suggested I look at a roadster. Tried one SRL 150HP) out at local repair shop -burned down Venice boulevard - hooked, but decided 150HP and me was jail or hospital. Settled for Sora Blue 1600. Totalled it and moved on.
2001 - always wanted a Bentley - bought 49 MKVI. Finances went belly up in 03 so bibi Bentley.
2005 - Finances improved - wanted fun again - but Bentley would be too expensive - knew roadsters so went that route. Bought Bunny's 1600 ($27K invested including car) - with what I have spent, I now own a $40K $8K roadster.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
68DSU

Post by 68DSU »

As a kid I always liked the look of the classic English sports cars. I started doing research and saving my pennies. When I finally saved a bit I started looking around and almost bought a MGTF for $800. The paint was faded and it needed some work so I rejected it (regret). I came across a 1600 at the Datsun dealer and it was in very good shape and ready to roll. The dealer said it was owned by an older man who sold it back to them because of a heart condition (yeah, right). I bought it. That was 1973 and it has been with me ever since, sometimes running.
A few years after I bought it an old guy flagged me down and told me he was the original owner and sold it after his doctor scared him. I guess the dealer was right.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Nice story 68DSU
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I'm enjoying this thread. Next will be "the Six Degrees of Mark Dent"
mraitch wrote:Nice story 68DSU
Second that. Imagine an honest car dealer, I'd believe you saw Sasquatch playing Beer Pong with a Yeti before that!
Fergus wrote:Drive your roadster like it is "the safest motorcycle on the road", don't hang in blind spots, and I am a fan of loud pipes and using the go-pedal as the "here I come" warning button.
Agree with that one too. Ever notice people hang back and ride just behind your left or right rear wheel and gawk? Makes me nuts. I'm doing the LED running lights for viability and getting a louder muffler, for safety reasons, of course.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
66Roadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 66Roadster »

It is indeed a nice thread.

First it was Jeeps at a young age.. Then I started reading Road & Track and fell in love with sports cars.. This before I got my license at 14 (in Idaho). One day my buds and I were driving on a country road and drove by this house with lots of sports cars. I slammed on the brakes of my mom's '74 Ford. It was Kim Blough of now Idaho Z. He was 21 and I at 15 in 1975. He had a Sunbeam for sale and working of the rest. He took me from a ride in his '66 1600 Roadster and I was totally sold!

It took me a few months to find one and time for my crops to come in to harvest. I was driving through town and saw a '68 black/red 1600 in a guys driveway. It took me two weeks to talk him into selling it. I would stop every day and ask - he finally gave in... haha.... Made 1050 on my harvest, car was 900, stopped and got insurance, a tank of gas, and had 50 bucks to my name and my first Roadster grin - from ear to ear!! My dad about fell out of his chair, mom wanted to drive it. Have had many, many Roadsters sense... Restored them, turbo charged one, wrecked a couple, and drive the crap out of them all!!

Started working for Kim for free to learn about the cars. He then started paying me to turn wrenches. Good times!!!! He has a lot to do with my success in life.
dld
Roadster Fanatic

Post by dld »

In 1969 I started looking to buy my first car. I had an ongoing argument with my Dad over it. He wanted me to buy a chevy, and I wanted a Sports Car. I was only 17, and eventually told him that if he wouldn't sign for me to buy a sports Car, I would just wait until I was 18 and get one anyway, so he relented. He told me I had to show him the cars that I was looking at. I brought him a slew of cars, TR3, TR4, MGA, MGB, even an XK120, but he thought they were all too old. He kept telling me he wished I would buy something newer. I couldn't afford a newer car, so he threw in a few hundred, and My Great Uncle, who was a used car manager at the local chevy dealer, had a 1967 SPL311, and I got it for $1100.00. After a few years I sold it, and then in 1976 I stumbled on a 1969 SRL311, played with it for a while, autocrossed it some, and of course sold it as well. for years I've said I'd like another one, and earlier this year, the opportunity to buy a 1969 SRL311 for $400.00 in need of a lot of work popped up so I took it. Now in the process of returning to a daily driver. I have a short 20 mile commute over a twisty 1-1/2 lane mountain pass, perfect commute for a Roadster! so after all these years, I have another roadster to play with.
David Layne

1969 SRL311
1979 Yamaha XS650
1977 Yamaha RD400
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
cinco
Roadster Nut

Post by cinco »

It seems that my story is similar to others but that's no reason not to waste a bunch of electrons. Fifteen years ago (when I was still in high school) I had a half hour to kill in my local downtown area and, as I regularly did, stopped by the classic car dealer. Shortly thereafter I was confronted by a tiny little convertable in profile and, seeing as how I was still largely in the muscle car mindset, had no idea what it was. Upon walking around the back my flabber was immediately gasted at the thought that Datsun had ever made such a cool car, and after spending nearly the entire half hour looking it over I came to the conclusion that I'd have to have one someday. But that didn't stop me from owning old American cars for the next decade, the most recent having been a 1970 Lincoln Mk III. Eventually I got tired of fixing American cars (not to mention sub-10MPG "economy" and a complete inability to steer in the rain) and bought my first (debatably) sporty car - an old BMW E21. 30MPG, immense fun to drive, and despite having roughly 300k miles it never broke once.

Last year a friend of mine finally got tired of fixing (read: having me fix) his old Beetle and decided he needed something new. We looked around for a while and couldn't really find anything which seemed worth the money, and eventually he decided that he needed to buy my car. I said no. After thinking it over for a few days I said yes and began the search for another fun car. My list was quite large and I was looking at Celicas, Z32s, Mercedes SLs, MGs, Fiats, and the like. Then the rumors I'd heard concerning the local government's shenanigans regarding registration and emissions testing came to mind and I investigated, finding that buying something made after 1974 would end up costing me an extra $100/year to own. There went most of my list, and on craigslist I was left with a Fiat Spyder which didn't run and a 1st generation Celica which looked like a bomb went off in it. Bummer. I then wrote up a new list of things to look for, consisting of the Datsun 311, Volvo P1800, Triumph TR5/TR250, and the early Alfa GTV. I was leaning toward the Datsun as the best of the bunch but which ever had come up first at a reasonable price would've been the one for me. Since the Alfa probably would have been on fire more often than it wasn't (joking) and the Triumph probably would have been the best looking thing broken down on the side of the road (not joking quite as much), I consider myself lucky. Weirdly, in the four months since getting the Datsun working properly I've put more than 2000 miles on it and never once has it even hinted that it might leave me stranded. I'd still say it's the best of the bunch, but I'm going to have to go back to that list someday - there's just something about the GTV....

Also, as a guy who's also a classic motorcycle enthusiast I must say that it surprised me how similar the thought processes are when driving the Datsun. I don't think I could have said it better than Pletch up there, and the size related depth perception issues that affect motorists apply just as much to these cars as they do to motorcycles, so I drive like I'm invisible... but with pants on. And aren't we all greatful for that?
Please don't list cars in your signature. It makes searches useless.
greydog

Post by greydog »

My story is a bit more twisted than some. Sit back, open a cool beverage and read on if you're a mind to.
About 10 years ago, I was "promoted" to a managers job. At that company, it meant that I lost a car allowance so I needed a driver.
I'd once owned a 260 Tiger and ran around with a a guy who owned a beautiful Alpine and another buddy who had a 3000 Mk 2 so I liked sports cars but not the typical British issues associated with them.
My wife came home one day and said she'd seen a 240 Z for sale by a house so I drove over to the house and bought an '81 280 ZX Turbo.
After fixing many things wrong, I was taking my daughter to school and a young man parked his Ford Ranger 4 x 4 in the back of the car. Destroyed the hatch, bumper and bent the car at the back shock towers and sun roofs. Turns out we both had the same insurance company so, after a couple of months we came to a settlement.
Now, I need a car and want another Z but '81 Turbos in decent shape are rare so I upscaled a bit and bought my 300ZX. After a few years of fiddling with it, there's not much left to do so I need a project.
I mentioned to my wife that I wanted another car to work on and she says "Hey, you have a sports car and a driver but I don't. I want a Fairlady". I point out that her GTI is pretty sporty but she's not going for it so I say. Ok, we'll get a 240 Z and she says "no, I want a roadster".
I tell her that roadsters are way expensive, rare, rust buckets and impractical if you live in Portland, Oregon but she's sticking to her guns so I say, what about a 510? We can get a 510, stick a SR20DET in it and you can go terrorize the streets. She says "no, I want a roadster. One of my friends in high school had one and I loved that little car. I want a roadster".
I'm starting to see a roadster in my future but I've got one last gambit so it say "ok, let's check Craig's list to see if there's anything in the range we can afford that's all there". Knowing my price range was less than $2000, I figured there wasn't much chance. As luck would have it, there were actually 3 cars for sale that weekend.
We bought her '69 1600 for a buck a cc that was last licensed in '95 and have been pouring money and time into it ever since. After a year and a half, it's almost ready to drive and she's pretty excited. Scooter is no show car, I haven't fixed the rust on the body and the silver paint is faded but she'll start, stop and run as good as new so she'll be safe and fun. Once Michelle gets to driver her for a while, we'll decide what to do next.
Truth is, I like this little car so much I'm toying with the idea of selling my 300ZX to build a hot rod. I already got a spare H20.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
bikermike
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bikermike »

My story doesn't span as many years as some of yours. I first came across a Roadster in '08 while web surfing looking for Alfa Spyders and other sports car. I had never seen one before. My idea was to have a little project / weekend car after buying a house with more garage space.

While visiting a friend in Pleasanton I stopped in to a classic car dealership to take a look at 2 there for sale. IIRC a low and a high windshield car. That was the 1st time I saw a Roadster in person. From there I did some more research, watched ebay and craigslist and was an occasional lurker here. I checked out some cars that came on the market locally.

Fast forward to last June. The plan for more garage space at home didn't work out, but still had the itch for a car. One Sunday afternoon an ad popped up on craigslist. After an exchange of a few emails, the next Saturday I went on a daytrip to see the car and spent an afternoon with the owner. A week or so later I made a deal and we brought the car home July 4th weekend.

At the same time, my neighbor moved in with his fiancee and put his house on the market. He offered to let me park in his garage which covered me until October when he dropped the price and sold. Since then I rent some shop space a mile from home where I park the car and have room to do some work.

I'm certainly enjoying the car, both driving it and learning as I go along. And I also enjoy the community here and all the help I've received.
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Mike, are you coming to Solvang?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
bikermike
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bikermike »

dbrick wrote:Mike, are you coming to Solvang?
Yes. I'll be there. PM sent
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL