Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: So, Why did you buy a Roadster?

Post by ACote »

Lots of good reading this post.
Got mine because I had money saved up joining the military, kinda needing a second car. Never had a project car but always liked old cars. Was looking around at old beetles mostly because I heard they are easy to fix. Then came across my datsun for sale within in my budget. A call to mike young gave me some beginner tips, and a warning of how expensive 2000 rebuilds can be... Well this one had a rebuild in 2008 so not much worries there. Well if I knew what I know now I would've gotten it for a lot less. but my loss. Replaced everything besides the engine. Such as the water pump, battery, carb parts, exhaust, fuel pump, and more. Noew I got a daily driver that everyone loves. Oh yeah It's much faster than a beetle.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Maybe we should add why did you buy a Second Roadster.
I bought my '66 Parts car, cause I needed parts. I almost didn't need any tools, it was so rusted you basically could tear things off the car! I'm amazed we didn't get tetanus from it! The body was shot (literally, bullet holes in the trunk) rusted beyond recognition, the engine siezed, but otherwise I got hundreds of good parts - most that are still sitting in my garage waiting for the perfect time to spring back to life. Some on my car, some on at least 3 other Roadsters in Winston-Salem!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
K1200 GT
Roadsteraholic

Post by K1200 GT »

When I was 18 ( 1968) I bought a 1959 Morris Minor convertible. Rebuilt the engine with a 1/2 ratchet set. Drove for a couple yrs. Got a draft notice....but joined the Air Force instead. Fast forward 2007...after seeing half the world I ended up in Bend,Oregon. There was a guy that had a 1600 that he was putting a U20 in. Changing all the badges to 2000. Hadn't seen one of these cars in yrs. But thought if I ever saw one for sale I would see about getting one. Few months later there was a 1600 for sale for $ 3000 in news paper. offered him $2800 if it would run. It had been setting for 2 yrs and his son lost interest. We got it started by just jumping the battery. Drove it down his dirt road 1/4 mile and it died. Rented a trailer and took it home. :roll: The engine has been changed to a 3 main. But he gave me the factory block and ( head/ boat anchor ).

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is good...but I want more
If I cant fix it, It aint broke
Rich

2000 Miata Special Edition 6 spd/LSD
1970 SPL 311
1999 Dodge 3/4 4x4
1986 Toyota Cressida
2003 BMW K1200GT (1200 cc)
1992 BMW R100RT (1000cc)
1969 BMW R69S (600cc)
1997 BMW 328I
Kurt
Site Supporter

Post by Kurt »

Living in NJ in the 80's guys were into MGBs and Triumphs. I would consider a Stag cool and unique enough. Sunbeam Tigers always seemed to get an honorable mention. I knew a guy who had a Saab Sonnet III. Pretty cool. And although not a drop top I kinda understood.

1988 I'm transplanted to sunny CA. The local Autotrader had a '70 1600 for $3500, original owner car but stored outside at a garage for about 5 years. Apparently original owner installed a Sears amp/volt indicator black box after his amp guage went out. Well don't connect it with a 4 guage wire! There was a complete electrical melt down. It was weathered. $600 -sold! Came with an inch thick of service records. Too bad he didn't have a pro install his Sears gadget.

All new harnesses, rebuild alternator, coil, gas tank and radiator flush. Started right up! I've maintained her since. Weekend driver. Never been stranded.

All those years and SRL envy later I see non-running #520 on Craiglist for $2500. Mike Young got it minutes before me. And that was a blessing actually. I saw it again when he was done and sold it to Bruce, -to now include a complete engine rebuild. Lower too. Bruce decided #501 was a better investment. I bought #520 on Ebay, on my third wedding anniversary. With blessings!

Alvin stalked me when I advertised a roll bar on Craigslist! And here I am. On my way to my first Solvang trip with two roadsters 22 years later.

Looking forward to meeting you all!
San Jose, CA
70 SPL311 (Pumpkin)
67 SRL311 00520 (Princess)
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

dbrick wrote:Will disproves the theory, you CAN have just one.
If I had the room, I'd be interested in a 67.5 2000. I did have another one, actually 2 others, one was a 68 parts car and the other was a 67.5 1600 that DatsunBucky now owns. Honestly I'd love to have Calspeeds old Sora Blue 67.5 2L. I love that car. Its was a nice balance of street and race.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
pletch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by pletch »

Cool thread.....

In the early 80's when I would walk to high school there was two of them parked in a driveway. I never seen or heard of these before and I liked how unique they were.

Flash forward 13 years and I'm looking for a project to occupy my time. I remembered how cool these cars were so I was on a year long search for an affordable 2000. The one I found was complete and ran but was rough. My intention was to just make it a dependable fun car but every year the project just kept growing. I've had her for about 16 years now, the longest I've ever owned a car. I tried to sell her once and I'm glad I didn't.
Ken
DATSTER

69 SRL KA24DEsc
04 Honda CRV
13 Kia Soul +

Pleasanton, CA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

great thread!
Back in high school I was driving an MGB but I had two friends with 510s. They were always wrenching and driving. I recall the sound of their twin throat Mikunis roaring down neighborhood streets.
I saw my first Datsun roadster one evening at a stoplight. It was a tad bit more exotic and special then the MG I was in :wink: I only saw the rear 3/4 of the roadster, but it had these jewel-like tail lights and pretty fenders. That image is burned into my mind. It was gorgeous, but I never saw that roadster again.
After college and a steady job I began searching. By coincidence I was introduced to David and Phyllis Almazan of the Modesto ROC. Nicest folks on the planet. Met Francis Anand and he let me drive my first roadster...his restored '67 SPL. The he gave me ride in his '68 SRL. I wanted one bad.
I hastily bought a ’68 SPL and had a blast with it for a few months but realized that it would take time and $ to get it to where I wanted it.
I also I wanted the early, low-windsheild flat dash car that I fell in love with, and it had to be clean, you know the “dream” as I like to call it. So I sold the ’68 and got word of a nice 67.5 1600 with a 2000 engine(U20) in Modesto.
I took a day-off of work and drove up to Modesto to meet with the owner We met at a coffee shop, where the roadster guys meet every Tuesday for coffee. I remember sitting with these guys that were 3x my age, but talking about roadsters with such ferve. “I hear you’re gonna look at Bill’s roadster Alvin!”. The man pointed outside and said go check it out, and I swear it was like slow motion in the movies. I rose up out of my seat, walked outside and there, at the end of the lot was my dream car. I really had no doubt in my mind that I wanted it, just by looking at it! A black beauty. The body was absolutely straight, no dings anywhere, chrome perfect, windshield chrome perfect, inside and out, side moldings ding free, perfect grille, and a hot-rodded 2liter motor. Even came with Solexes in the trunk. I had to have it and I bought it.
That was in 2002.
pletch wrote: I tried to sell her once and I'm glad I didn't.
We are both glad :D
Last edited by Alvin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

I bought mine, for a DOLLAR :oops: , from the person who bought it new. Since my brother didn't want it, I bought it to keep it in the family. :smt004

I was a runner when i got it but needed some TLC in spots to be safe and reliable.

tim
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
Terry Z
Site Supporter

Post by Terry Z »

Back in the late sixties my father owned several car dealerships, one of which sold MGs, Triumphs, Austin Americas and such. My first driving leson was in an Austin America, later moving up to a MGB. Loved the convertibles. A few years later he bought a Datsun dealership. Loved those Datsuns but no convertibles, or so I thought. One day a 311 rolled in for some service and I was blown over. Never knew they had a convertible. Had to have it. Traded a new shotgun for the car. Drove the heck out of it for many years. Fast forward to seven months ago found one setting in a guys outbuilding collecting dust. Fixing it up for my daily driver and having a blast.
311ken
Roadster Nut

Post by 311ken »

I remember as a young boy sitting on the trunk and clinging onto the roll bar of my uncles spl.I never forgot that car,now I have my own SRL. He told me recently the one he owned was something like#6,bought new in New Westminister.
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

30 years ago I saw an old black and white roadster pic and thought, one of those would be alot of fun. I had never been "lucky enough" to stand next to one, or see one driving. I stumbled across a pic of Alvins gorgeous 67.5 2 years ago wow, get a roadster, its now or never.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Bill K
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bill K »

My Roadster story goes back to 1967 when I first saw my friend's newly acquired 1966. It was bright red, late spring time, and of course he had the roof down. As I looked over his new purchase he asked me if I wanted to drive it. I said, "Yes", and loved the car and the cute look of the vehicle. Later he went on to college, and I entered the military. After I completed my 4 years of serving our country it was my turn for college. After college I accepted my first real job, teaching high school auto mechanics. The year was now 1976. When I began teaching, and started to discover everything in the shop, I was surprised to see a rolling chasis covered with a tarp. I removed the cover and to my surprise saw the aluminum Datsun roadster vave cover, and the twin SU's. I now had a vehicle to play with in my spare time. The entire driveline was there, no body, two bucket seats mounted on the bare very rotted chasis. Long story short, I never had the time or interest to do anything with this car. Fast forward to 2005 or 2006; my wife and I are visiting my cousin Dave Brisco and his wife Linda. Dave asks me if I wanted to see his car, this was the gold 1969 2000 that he sold a few months ago. During the next year Dave worked on this car and also purchased a driveable red 1966 1600. When I saw this car all the memories of that first drive in a roadster back in 1967 returned. Dave too asked me if I wanted to drive the car, I agreed and loved the experience. The clincher for me buying a roadster was during a local car show that Dave and I attended with our wives. Dave brought the red 66' and I had our classic VW Beetle. People were climbing over themselves to see what this little red sports car was and ignoring cars that were 10 times more valuable. I had to have it. Shortly there after we made a deal and the car was mine. Since then I have mechanically restored the car, and tried to find all of the very rare parts that were missing. I love the car and have no plans to cut it loose. I hope you enjoyed hearing this very lengthy story.
Bill
red 1966, with soon to be installed modified R20 stroker
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

When I was in high school a guy in my neighborhood had a Lotus Esprit. He owned a restaurant with a guy who had a true Shelby Cobra. I drove past the restaurant every day on the way to work. Boy did I have car envy (I had an AMC Javelin at the time if anyone knows what the heck that car was). One day I saw a roadster parked next to the Esprit and the Cobra- thought it looked so cool. Asked my neighbor later about the car..."It's just a Datsun" he said. I've coveted one ever since. Had a TR-4 and later a MG-B. Neither satisfied. Had a chance in the late 70's to get an XK E type for a steal and passed it up in an attempt to be grown up and responsible.

Fast forward 35 years and I bought my Poor Little Thing for me and my son to resurrect. Couldn't be happier. On schedule for a 2013 run through the Appalachians (or not).
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Bill K wrote:The clincher for me buying a roadster was during a local car show that Dave and I attended with our wives. Dave brought the red 66' and I had our classic VW Beetle. People were climbing over themselves to see what this little red sports car was and ignoring cars that were 10 times more valuable.
Bill
Bill left out the fact his VW Bug is very very nice and presents very well and I didn't even wash the Datsun, it had no top vinyl, just the top bows and a red and white checkered vinyl picnic tablecloth, which was needed that day when it rained. I was VERY amused by the attention the Datsun got and Bills reaction, I could see the sale happening soon :) Next year, I have to park next to another friends 57 T-Bird, sell another Datsun.
Bill's car is kind of special for both of us. Sad but interesting story, I have a photo of my Mother, and Bill a photo of his Father taken at different times different places in that car, I think the only time they rode in it and they both passed away not very long after. The pictures are almost identical.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Great Stories-
#1. Was dating a girl around the age of 22 and she had a non-running roadster in her driveway. Bought the Roadster from her for $500 and drove it about 3 years. Sold to a dismantler in a moment of haste. Only lasted about a month with the girl.

#2. Talking with a guy at work when I was about 32 and he says he has a Roadster. Bought a car in pieces for $300 but had no idea how to fix it. Sold for $300 within a year.

#3. About 2002 saw a car in the paper when I was about 35 for $1100. Went to look at it and almost walked away because he didn't have the keys. I told him if he could get it started I'd buy it on the spot. He hot wired it and it started. Still have the car.

#4. Saw an ad on the Roadster mailing list in 2006. Original owner wanted $900. It had been on jackstands for 20 years and looked a mess, but was all original. He sold it to me for $700. Thats my black Roadster. Still has the original paint, and was featured in Hemmings.

#5. Saw another ad for $900. Went to look at it and the frame was bent, the body held together with aluminum tape and cardboard, and missing the fender and hood. Paid $300 and sold it to my brother. He blew it up and it's sitting in my driveway.

I have to say without 311s I would be nowhere. Starting with the 2002 roadster, this site had been the bible.
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)