What's it like to be in a roadster wreck

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: What's it like to be in a roadster wreck

Post by dbrick »

Alvin is right on many points, I agree on the reinforcements, seat bolts are just in thin sh*t, I mean sheet metal, really need a substantial, hard washer. Seatbelt s in my car are in the stock holes, so can't improve them much, but I have newer 747 seatbelts (FAA approved). I am going to make a collapsible column for the 64.

In reality, looking at passenger-miles in a Datsun vs. daily driver, the likelihood is greater in your regular car, but either way it's a crapshoot and the reality is you will probably not do as well in an older car, depending on what you hit or what hits you, as a modern one. It's simple physics. When I was a kid I was a backseat passenger in a 68 Ford Country Squire wagon, T boned by a 68 Pontiac Bonneville at 50 MPH. We all walked, no seatbelts, brother had a concussion, I still have a slight limp. That's not the usual outcome, so my luck is used up.

But If I have to be scraped off the dashboard, if I'm in (or in this case, ON the Roadster), at least I'll be smiling, and its WAY cooler than buying the farm in a SmartCar.

These are very enlightening
http://youtu.be/siT-SIfOnQw
http://youtu.be/1_ptUrQOMPs
Last edited by dbrick on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
FoxyRoadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by FoxyRoadster »

After doing body work on my roadster, I intend to do a few safety additions but they wont do anything more then prevent harm in a minor crash. Anything major and well, least I was in a cool car.
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

My old Lead Sled has a pretty solid frame.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Wikket77
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Wikket77 »

Rear ended at a stop light by a Nissan Maxima(speed unknown) . He just finish the car for 2 weeks.
Ip2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 2000..
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

:smt070 Bad Maxima! Bad, bad Maxima!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Alvin and Ken (pletch) are both correct. The 52 Ford truck is a sweet ride, but in today's careless driving habits, a drum brake heavyweight has limited useability, unless you go all pro-street on it.
I believe in loud horns and loud pipes. I regularly drive my roadster to work, and you have to be very conscious of giving folks the OPPORTUNITY to drive badly around you. I have a Monza tip on the exhaust (and no resonator) and it si a tad too quiet, am thinkng of removing the tip packing with a slide hammer, to give it more rasp.
Always be in a gear that has some punch. In the 2L, that means if there are cars around, back into 4th so that you have the volume and the punch to get somewhere, somewhere else, pronto.
Don't drive in blind spots, hang back until there is room ahead, then go right up there in a hurry so that the person sees you in the window (and when you do it in a hurry they HEAR you too).
Large fender washers on seatbelt mounts, and backing plates on rollbar bases. Alvin has illustrated many times the correct seatbelt mounting angle, (and that the stock angle isn't healthy) and that is the gospel truth.
The collapsible steering column is a must.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I never drive with the illusion of safety in a Roadster. My only defense has been to be on the ball, on the brakes or on the accelerator as the situation dictates. I try to be very aware of others blind spots and anticipate traffic in front of others to see what they might decide to do... that anticipation has saved me numerous times. I have no horn unfortunately and no way to use a stock one, but a button might be a good idea. However, I'm more likely to use the time to change direction before I hit a horn because it has been my only choice! The Roadster is as safe as the driver can make it; it is best it does not hit anything. Go with its strengths: braking, nimbleness and acceleration. Still gonna drive it hard. Your time is your time.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

I can say that a racing prepared Datsun Roadster is quite durable. I have hit a tire barrier head on doing 55 miles an hour and walked away with significant but not structurally serious damage. I have been hit and turned sideways at 70+ MPH by a mini cooper with minor damage that was easy and relatively inexpensive to repair. Proper seat belts and safety equipment are essential, driving defensively a must.
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Oh, and the easy one LIGHTS ON all the time. Makes a huge, proven difference.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Bigtaku »

:shock: I was hit by a drunk driver in my 68 1600 about 18 years ago. He was in a 70's Cadillac. I was making a turn into a residential area so I was slowing to about 15-20 mph. The caddy was going about 80 to 90 mph. Somehow I was not killed and the Datsun went airborne. The car was totaled... Oh ya he hit the car 4 more times just for good measure. Actually the car didn't look as bad as one would think but it took to many hits. Frame was bent an the engine was bent too. The cockpit was in almost perfect condition. :shock: Good ol car she was, saved my life. I had on my seat belt. 3 point with roll bar.
Michael Montez
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

That crash test showed (apparently) the frame/body bending - goodbye Miata.

Yup, I totally get (to an extent) compared with modern cars, we are driving death traps, and typically we (at least I) are often driving on the edge ( but RARELY ) on the freeway.

In the canyons etc. there is no one close to me, unless another roadster driver, and if I am unfortunate enough to find someone faster than I, and seriously is up to prove it, I am just waiting the next space to make some space.

On the freeway, in anything but light traffic, I am obeying the 3 second rule or more. I try never to hang out at the side of anyone, I always have sufficient space in front, and my first reaction when braking (especially hard braking - which frankly I credit to a lack of focus on MY part) , is to check my rear, and then my sides for exits.

Since this is almost an automatic habit, just like scanning the heat/oil gauges, I have little chance of hitting anyone, or being hit from the rear.

I have seen, in the past the result of a huge F (whatever) pickup riding over the back of a roadster, and clearly being stopped (only) by a roll bar (different story).

Back in 07, when I was driving back from my x-country trip, a roadster owner who had a 'conversation' with an elk/deer at night. The car, I believe, essentially survived, the windshield being GONE, but if he had had a passenger, so would he/she have been. I slowed down at night, dramatically.

I replaced my seats with Miata ones, and frankly was SHOCKED to see how spindly the roadster bolts are compared with the Miata ones, even though Nissan provided that questionable strip on top of the cockpit floors (then in fairness, this WAS 1970 and earlier. The Miata bolts are HUGE by comparison, and I did put some serious steel washers underneath the bolts anyways.

Same with seat belts, at least as far as the LAP belts are concerned. And as for the shoulder belts, in any standard position, watch out for spinal compression. I'm just looking for a roll-bar right now.

But, as someone shared earlier, if I am 'going' driving, then let it be in a roadster.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
DivinDave
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DivinDave »

No crush zones
No door bars
No air bags
We die like real men..... (or women)

Seriously, with decades of vast improvements in vehicle safety there is no comparison to modern vehicles. If involved in a wreck it will be the dynamics of the incident that determine the outcome. We will typically loose out to more mass and the inability to absorb and disapate energy of the collision. Don't dwell on it but drive with a heightened defensive attitude and odds are you will never find out how good or badly your car will fair.
Dave
'70 2L srl 13385. Not a beauty yet, but a great runner!
'70 1600 spl 29608. Running again and looking pretty good.
http://www.DiveHatteras.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

SLOroadster wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm You know, I think I'd rather take my chances in a roadster than in a Smart car, or even a Miata. The frames are pretty robust, and with a roll bar and harnesses, I'm inclined to think its more safe than a Miata.

More food for thought. This '59 Bel-Air and its 210" full length frame is "pretty robust", right?
WRONG:
[youtube][/youtube]

And more Miata, because we all know that the answer is always Miata!
[youtube][/youtube]
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Be aware of the visibility from the driver's seat of large trucks. Pass quickly through the "NO-Zone" when passing. Start off promptly when the light turns green. You could be invisible below the front bumper of the truck, and the driver could forget that he pulled up behind a tiny car.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Pump your brakes at a stop signal to flash the driver approaching behind you, he might not see you.
LED lights are easy to add, which I finally did to boost visibility.
There are a few threads on light bars for the trunk and roll bar too.
I like a bright color for a small car, which is why I would never have silver as a color because I believe it blends in too much.
Lastly, I avoid the freeways. The beautiful countryside is where I want to be.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.