What's it like to be in a roadster wreck

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jamesw
Roadsteraholic

What's it like to be in a roadster wreck

Post by jamesw »

I've always driven small cars so am used to being the smallest car on the road (especially in Houston). But I'd like to hear from people that have been in a wreck in a roadster - what was it like? How did you and car fare?

I know people may be shy about answering - but this is a safety question so the feedback would REALLY be appreciated.

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: What's it like to be in a roadster wreck

Post by Alvin »

My 2cents: we are not safe driving along today's cars. Belts, visibility aids, etc. help but defensive driving is probably the most effective! Folks just can't see us :?
Last edited by Alvin on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

There was 5, or so, of us Roadsters traveling down the freeway on the way home from the Vancouver show last weekend. Taking the opportunity to see other roadsters in traffic, you get the sense of how ridiculously small they are in comparison to even a modern Civic. Point being; I'm not so optimistic about the outcome of tangling with another vehicle let alone a Jersey Barrier, tree, squirrel (Large), McDonalds bag etc.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

I seem to remember seeing pics of a Roadster and Elk (?) collision. That was not pretty either.

How'd the driver & passenger (?) fare in the above pics? OK I sure hope!

Shaken by that pic in WI!

Tim
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I tend to agree, defensive driving and being very aware of other drivers. Basically like riding a motorcycle with less acceleration and no helmet.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I took a Saturn to the drivers front end while sitting at a stop sign back in '06. Cracked the windshield, and made a big mess of the whole front suspension on the drivers side, and the lower ball joint on the passenger side. The engine didn't even stop. The idiots who hit me managed to make their escape before I could get unbelted to go beat the crap out of them. Lucky for me, someone else followed them down the street and called the police.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

Summer 2009 I was driving down yadkinville rd doing 50 when a deer ran across the road. About the time I saw him, a second deer "tried" to jump over my 70 1600... He smashed the windshield, bent the w/s frame forcing the doors out of alignment. Pretty scary experience, its hooves were just inches from my head. Plus it was 10am, don't usually see deer around here that early. I'm still finding deer hair in my car; plus I found the sausage biscuit I carelessly tossed during the event about a year later :D I try to drive safe when I'm in the roadster, but there's only so much you can do. I even added a factory roll bar for additional piece of mind, but in my example, it sure wouldn't have helped.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

See what happens when you eat and drive!! :smt018

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Thanks gang. I'm interested in hearing from more people who have been in wrecks. I already know that the roadster is unsafe - because my wife has told me so...

Cole, did you toss the sausage biscuit before or after you'd eaten it?

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

[quote="dbrick"]See what happens when you eat and drive!! :smt018[/quote]
Exactly!!! Roadsters get damaged, and I spend the rest of the day with my 30.30 trying to find that little booger
pletch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by pletch »

Dam this post, it gets into my head. I already sold my 1974 Honda CB450 and my 1952 GMC truck because of how unsafe they are on the road. I keep telling myself that I would be fine if I was in a accident but I dont know if I'm kidding myself. I think I've had too many Birthday's and I'm scared of my shadow. :?
Ken
DATSTER

69 SRL KA24DEsc
04 Honda CRV
13 Kia Soul +

Pleasanton, CA
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

You know, I think I'd rather take my chances in a roadster than in a Smart car, or even a Miata. The frames are pretty robust, and with a roll bar and harnesses, I'm inclined to think its more safe than a Miata. Stock seat belts kinda scare me, but 5 pt race harnesses (or even just modern seat belts) make me less worried.

On my way back from autoXing on Sunday I nearly ended up in two messes, one on the back side of a hill and the other the back side of a turn I couldn't see all the way around on 101 south of Gilroy. In both cases, traffic went from 70 on the front side to 0 on the back side. People were diving for the median, somehow there was no contact with anyone. I thought I was going to get taken out by SUVs that were following me both times as I WAY out braked them (race pads and race tires, the combo stops pretty well. ;) ) Both times I had to get off the brakes to open room up to the people behind me. Yeah, I was worried I was going to get smeared for the 2nd time this year, but it wasn't the case (lucky for me.)

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

SLOroadster wrote:You know, I think I'd rather take my chances in a roadster than in a Smart car, or even a Miata.
Will
I felt like posting this because we can't give people the wrong idea...we love our cars and they are fun to drive but let's be realistic.

You can control your driving behavior all you want to avoid a collision, but in a head on there's is no way yourself or the car would fair better than in a Smart Car or a Miata.
[youtube][/youtube]
Size is deceiving. It's what's underneath and hidden that counts, including suspension, crumple zones, brakes, air bags, inertia seat belts, etc. Technology has optimized all of these over time.
[youtube][/youtube]

You should really drop the "my classic car is better than anything" mentality for your own safety :P

Those 5-pt harnesses are great for the track to hold you in place in the corners, but they are useless in a crash. I don't even have headrests

oh, and Darwin COMPLETELY owns you:
http://www.iihs.org/50th/default.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what a morbid thread :cry:

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

It's been years since I read it, but I believe the old Rallye catalog had a story documenting an accident with a drunk driver? If I remember correctly, the car was crunched up pretty good and a lot of the metal around the seat bolts and seatbelts had stretched or ripped. I believe after this he really recommended some substantial washers be added for strength around these areas? Of course, I could be making this up, I haven't read the catalog in 15 years! I believe a lot was credited to the collapsible steering column? Hopefully someone can reference it, because it was a very good story and was the main reason I went with a 5 point harness back when I was 16.
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

James, at least your car has the collapsible steering wheel. 67.5 and earlier had the death spear. There was a video somewhere of a roadster rolling down a hillside. I think the car held together pretty good. It was a staged accident though. I think it was a foreign film. Very short. I wish I could find it again.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped