Car Covers

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

inline4
Roadster Fanatic

Car Covers

Post by inline4 »

are there any manufacturers that make a fitted car cover?

thanks.
67.5 srl clone
69 ka swap
70 spl
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Car Covers

Post by notoptoy »

Most of the cover companies claim to have custom fits, but I have not found one - at least cheaply. The one I got off E-bay was really cheap, and WAY oversided. Still it's a good dust cover foro indoors. I got one years ago from California Car Cover, at the time it was the evolution 3 material. The cover fit great, and lasted a very long time, it was outside in the elements for many years. Eventually it started to disintegrate, but it was a really good cover! I hate to say it, but there are some really nice covers for the MG's that would probably work well -
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
fossil
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by fossil »

Covercraft makes a custom fit cover that looks great on the low windshield cars.

The pattern number is C-49

It's wet outside.

Stan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
inline4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by inline4 »

thanks guys, I'm gonna definitely look at that carcraft one. which retailer did you buy it from and how long ago?
67.5 srl clone
69 ka swap
70 spl
bikermike
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bikermike »

I have started looking for a car cover to the replace the one I have which seems to put more dust on the car that if I left it uncovered.

Has anyone bought one recently on ebay? Thanks.

-Mike
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Ilike the universal fit medium size, it provides some airflow and doesn't rub.
The fitted ones are pricey. Covercraft manufactures for a lot of companies including CA Car Company.
I like their products.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Post by FairladySPL »

The last one I bought recently was from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories.

Oh, that was about 1982 or so, now that I think about it. Early years were outside, since then it's a garage dust cover.

Still have it and one from earlier, also BHMA, perfect fit even after the cotton shrank a little.

The company, now in San Diego, does not list "Datsun" under any of its car cover selection drop-downs. "Nissan" doesn't work either. I sent an email inquiring. Will share.
--Paul / Annapolis
bontrager_steel
Roadster Nut

Post by bontrager_steel »

I just scored a free cover through a work connection, and thought I would chime in.

After my brother putting a good size ding in my passenger door when I was storing the car at my dad's I bought a cheap Murrays universal cover that never fit right. I just finally got one that fits right this week from Coverking. They are pricey - but it is nice. 2 layer constructions with satin outer material and fleece inner. They only make them for 69 and up, but it fits ok on short windshield cars (mine is a 66). Also, I have the j-spec fender mirrors which you can see pop up up in front - but the cover doesn't really "pull" on them so I figure it will be ok.

If you go to their website, nothing listed under datsun - they are under Nissan
IMAG0125.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thomas

66 311 w/SR20DET (work in progress).....
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Years ago when I had my 510 I purchased one from MG Mitten, no longer around but I found that it covers the roadster very nicely. So other applications work well.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Was yours $290? I just hit up their website and selected the "Satinstretch" material thinking that's what you probably got.

Looks good thanks for posting the pic!

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
bikermike
Site Supporter

Post by bikermike »

I picked up a Covercraft C-49 sized cover a few months ago. I decided to go with the "WeatherShield HP" fabric since it was the one that packed the smallest for fitting in the trunk. The tradeoff is that doesn't offer much ding protection at all.

The complete part number is C49-PG for gray.

Here is a fabric comparison:
http://www.covercraft.com/carcovers/car ... brics.html

The fit is pretty good, but there are no mirror pockets. I have attached a few pics below.

If you are cover shopping, our Roadsters may not come up it fitment guides. The C49 pattern is also used for a 1960 Fiat 1500. The suffix after the "C49" indicates the fabric and color.

The best online price at the time was at Race Mart:
http://www.race-mart.com/Covercraft-COR-C49PG.html
Free shipping and no tax.

I suspect they just pass the order onto Covercraft who drop ship from their factory/warehouse.
cover1.JPG
cover3.JPG
cover4.JPG
cover2.JPG
One more thing....be careful if you use a cover w/ the top down. The sharp edges of the wing windows will shred the fabric. That's what happened to my $20 craigslist cover. I'm thinking of slicing a tennis ball and placing it over the sharp corner on each side.
Last edited by bikermike on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
NostalgicDatsun.com
Roadster Fanatic

Post by NostalgicDatsun.com »

The one I got for my Roadster was one made for a Mazda Miata, fits great.
Also BRE has them for a Roadster - http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc ... car_covers
----
NostalgicDatsun.com
Preserving the Datsun Heritage
http://www.nostalgicdatsun.com
bikermike
Site Supporter

Post by bikermike »

I was considering the BRE (and the Covercraft NOAH fabric) as well. I had the impression that the BRE was a somewhat thicker material, so I was willing to pay a premium to have something that would be small in the trunk and allow me to carry other things if I was going on a trip. The one I found can tuck into the pass side rear fender well.
cover5.JPG
I'd like it to have a bit of padding, but like anything it was a tradeoff.
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
peeeter
Roadster Fanatic

Post by peeeter »

NostalgicDatsun.com wrote:The one I got for my Roadster was one made for a Mazda Miata, fits great.
Also BRE has them for a Roadster - http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc ... car_covers
Anyone here have the BRE cover? Thinking of going this route, any reviews? I'm looking for something that has good breathability and moderate ding protection. I do wish they stuck with the original gray, but the taupe color isn't too bad. Has more of a "vintage" look?
Peter Lim
http://www.instagram.com/ridesbypeter

1967.5 1600 SPL311-14132
Owner since August 2014
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

peeeter wrote:
NostalgicDatsun.com wrote:The one I got for my Roadster was one made for a Mazda Miata, fits great.
Anyone here have the BRE cover? Thinking of going this route, any reviews? I'm looking for something that has good breathability and moderate ding protection. I do wish they stuck with the original gray, but the taupe color isn't too bad. Has more of a "vintage" look?
I just purchased the BRE cover and I like it very much. A little pricey but, IMHO, worth it.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe