Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm jealous! I can almost feel the air and atmosphere... I have long ago memories of driving through places like that when I lived in So Cal.

But yes, you always have to be on your toes for stupid...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ted heaton
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ted heaton »

DROVE my 64 1500 to the Annual DROPS Spring Roadster Pizza Meet.
Great day with sunshine and 7 roadsters in attendance.

Ted
P1120554.JPG
P1120561.JPG
P1120574.JPG
P1120576.JPG
Oil leak from a Roadster? How can that be!. :lol:
P1120582.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Did a 3-day backroads drive last weekend with some buddies.
Peter Harrison (mraitch) joined us for the Friday departure.
Double overnite in San Luis Obispo.
Day 1 was great although our route crossed a MAJOR bicycling event, so narrow, blind curve roads with packs of cyclists made for a challenging afternoon.
Day 2 looped up east of Carmel and inland down CA-25, which is gorgeous and deserted roads.
The Spitfire had a minor mechanical breakdown, which required a Sunday morning trip to Home Depot, but I got "preferred parking" (see pic below)

940 miles in 3 days was a lot, but great roads, great folk, great gearhead chat sessions.
Roadside stop 2.jpg
Roadster preferred parking.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Sports Imports to pick up 4 “Christmas lights”. 160 mi
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Drove to Solvang Car Show - Alternator quit working in Thousand Oaks. Made it to Gaviota State Park and set up camp at the beach on Thursday Night/Friday Morning. Friday morning, Trouble shot my Alternator...broken voltage regulator wire going into the alternator....Fixed with a small piece of duct tape. Go have breakfast at my usual spot in Buellton, ELLENS DANISH PANCAKE House before making my way to O'Reilly Auto Parts to buy tolls and supplies for a better fix of my Alternator. Test drive up to Santa Maria for IN-N-OUT for lunch, then Back to Buellton. After a burger at the Friday Night meeting in Mendenhall's Museum, it was back to the camp site. My Tent was still there even thou the wind was howling...25 mph with higher gusts. After Breakfast in Buellton, off to the show. Smelling a little antifreeze on the trip over to the show, park to find the intake manifold is leaking...looks like the welch plug in the bottom of the manifold. After the show it off to O'Reilly for more supplies. Stain is getting bigger on the side of the block, so I get some Aluminum Seal and fill some water bottles. Filling the radiator, I check the overflow and its got a short cap which is incorrect. Got the cap situation straighten out. Short test drive and then off to the Raffle-dinner. I was one of the big winners, maybe my luck is changing. Among other things, I won at certificate for set of Z-therapy carbs rebuilding, and Set of VTO Wheels of my choice. Back to the Camp site, still windy. Wanted to start early toward home, so added the other half of the Aluminum Seal and topped of with water. Only need 1 qt. of water...good sign. Allowed the engine idle as I packed up my camp site and tried to get it back into the trunk...LOL. Set off about 6:30 for the drive home....usually it take 3.5-4 hours. Drove with a eye on the gauges to the Ojai cutoff, about 45 miles and stopped to check. System was now holding pressure, able to add 1 qt. of water and reseal for another short section. Drove another hour to my usual Shell Gas Station in Thousand Oaks. Fill with gas for the final section. Home for lunch, skipped breakfast :-(
Car got louder as the trip went on, hole in the muffle has gone from a pin hole to a quarter size hole and the alternator started over-charging, I ran the lights to help control the amount.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by datsun65 »

Wow, Phil. That was a heck of a weekend drive! Happy you made it back without a tow.
Dan
Houston, TX
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

Glad you made it home ok FJ20spl311. We left about 7am and grabbed breakfast and made it to Laguna Hills about 11;30 or so without incident. Great windy weekend for sure!
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Took an early morning drive to shake down the car after the water pump install...
Image31st Annual by 2mAn

Came up on another Roadster which NEVER happens...
Image31st Annual by 2mAn

Decided to follow him and ended up seeing a few more Roadsters... can you spot mine?

Image31st Annual by 2mAn

Solid 300 mile shakedown :)
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

2mAn wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:18 am Took an early morning drive to shake down the car after the water pump install...
Image31st Annual by 2mAn

Came up on another Roadster which NEVER happens...
Image31st Annual by 2mAn

Decided to follow him and ended up seeing a few more Roadsters... can you spot mine?

Image31st Annual by 2mAn

Solid 300 mile shakedown :)
u we're there ? I had that top with me for u . wait ,that didn't sound right . but u know what I mean ..... shoot I turned around for that sucker too ....
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Yea Lorna Im sorry. The whole game plan was all last minute changes. I wasnt even sure if I was going to make it. Saw your car too and totally forgot to reach out to you. I had the clock with me as well. I will come grab it from you one of these weekends, I have to head out that way for something else too
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

2mAn wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:39 pm Yea Lorna Im sorry. The whole game plan was all last minute changes. I wasnt even sure if I was going to make it. Saw your car too and totally forgot to reach out to you. I had the clock with me as well. I will come grab it from you one of these weekends, I have to head out that way for something else too
it's cool . I'll cry later . hahaha . no but my car was a mess . oh man ,one day there will be allot of funny stories about this last 2/3 months , but for now it's not too funny .. hahaha not until I've fixed my messups . lotta messups . boy a few of them . but it was fun anyway .

RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustBucket »

On the way back from Solvang I took an extra credit route through the hills between Coast Highway and the 101. It was a spectacular drive to my cousins in Woodland Hills. From Oxnard, I took the 1 south to just past Point Mugu SP and headed up Yerba Buena Rd. From there I followed Mulholland Hwy all the way to Topanga Canyon. Went past the Porsche Club, road cyclists, super cars (no superstars), tons of motorcycles, and four police cars. I highly recommend the drive. Just watch out for the Cops.
It looks like there are some other good roads around there: Latigo Canyon, Stunt Rd, Pluma Rd, Old Topanga, Las Flores, Tuna Cyn.
The LA group needs to setup a fun run through these.
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Gregs672000 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 pm I'm jealous! I can almost feel the air and atmosphere... I have long ago memories of driving through places like that when I lived in So Cal.

But yes, you always have to be on your toes for stupid...
lol , yep ! always

MrGuts
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MrGuts »

One will get ya THREE
Great weekend at Solvang
Driving home Sunday morning, a must stop at Bobs Well Bread in Los Alamos.
Parked one out front and when we left, there were three
PeaceLoveAndRoadsterness...Forever
'69 SPL U20 know worldwide as Spike
Paso Robles, Ca
New :idea: 's welcome
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

Santa Monica Mountains are full of kool roads - and then also there is Angeles Crest and GMR as well.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California