Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

Post by Gregs672000 »

We drove the North cascades over the past two days (monday/Tuesday)... smoke smoke smoke... that's all there was. Could barely see the mountains. Stayed in Winthrop and found the car covered in ash in the morning. Might have been our last big run for the summer. We put over 7000 miles on the car in the past 2+ months, drove the North cascades twice, circumnavigated Mt Rainier at least twice with many other runs up one side or the other to find new roads, visited Crystal Mt resort at least 3 times, drove down to Pacific City in Oregon via Astoria, drove the back side of Mt St Helens, visited some Mt Baker roads, drove to Shedd and back in a day, went to Roslyn (where they filmed the tv show Northern Exposure), checked out Snoqualmie falls (TV show Twin Peaks) a couple times while driving through, and went to the Peninsula a few times just to do a picnic at some new lake or park.

It's been a great summer for the Roadster. She has picked up a few new rock chips, but despite her battle scars she has always attracted very friendly interest at nearly every stop. We had folks from all over taking pictures, telling their own Roadster stories, and even sitting in the car to get their picture taken, with captions like "Look at the car I rented for my vacation trip!", or "Hi honey, I met this guy on my vacation and...". Many were non- english speaking tourists, but the universal attraction easily broke down any language barriers as we spoke the language of Roadster love and human connection. Many many smiles were shared which warmed our hearts so very much.

The addition of the Bilstein shocks has been great, and the car has not let us down once, though she is not without need for repair. I plan to rebuild the entire front suspension over the winter, and I have brand new tires ready to go on when that's done. She wanders a bit now with the worn out idler box, and the tires were cupped enough that they couldn't balance completely out, so I look forward to a smoother, more controlled ride next year. I still have not installed the Isky cam as I need to get the right lash pads for it (L-series) or jetted the carbs for the Racer Brown cam it's running now, but she has not left me wanting for more power more than once or twice (a couple of close passes that reminded me that things can change quickly!), so it's been a safe, fast and exciting time for both me and my co-pilot wife.

And to my wife... what a great co-pilot she is. The Roadster is not an easy car to travel in, especially when ones back is subject to the aches and pains that come from car accidents. Getting in and out of the Roadster, with the comp belts and cramped quarters, requires effort, as does contorting ones body while getting us food and drink or blankets stuffed behind the seats... well, can't say enough... she never complains and is always eager to hit the road. She groans and laments the slow cars in the twisty corners as much as I do. Together, I've learned to slow down some and not blast past the turn outs and places to explore, and she's gotten better at letting me know what she wants to see and to give me enough time to haul the beast down. Now we have a favorite spot that leads to a wonderful "rock on the river" spot for a picnic, and favorite roads to blast just because we can. We discovered so many neat places this year, truly a summer of Roadster love, and a renewed love between us.

Hope you all have enjoyed this season as much as we Have! Next year will be even better, and we look forward to revisiting out favorite spots while discovering new ones Too! See you down the road!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
datseen

Post by datseen »

pebbles wrote:
datseen wrote:
Toptech360 wrote:Drove the car onto a boat last weekend.

20170828_154605.jpg

Drove off the boat and into the town of Friday Harbor. Was only able to spend 2 days on San Juan island. But it was a great 2 days!

20170828_134613.jpg

Looks amazing. The idea of driving around an island in the roadster sounds very appealing.
Thanks for posting. Enjoyed watching it.
Jon T
'69 2000

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/datseen69/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX031T ... Rx0DhiqX5Q
Website: http://www.datseen.com (just pics, no useful info :smt006 )
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

Gregs672000 wrote:

And to my wife... what a great co-pilot she is. The Roadster is not an easy car to travel in, especially when ones back is subject to the aches and pains that come from car accidents. Getting in and out of the Roadster, with the comp belts and cramped quarters, requires effort, as does contorting ones body while getting us food and drink or blankets stuffed behind the seats... well, can't say enough... she never complains and is always eager to hit the road. She groans and laments the slow cars in the twisty corners as much as I do. Together, I've learned to slow down some and not blast past the turn outs and places to explore, and she's gotten better at letting me know what she wants to see and to give me enough time to haul the beast down. Now we have a favorite spot that leads to a wonderful "rock on the river" spot for a picnic, and favorite roads to blast just because we can. We discovered so many neat places this year, truly a summer of Roadster love, and a renewed love between us.

Hope you all have enjoyed this season as much as we Have! Next year will be even better, and we look forward to revisiting out favorite spots while discovering new ones Too! See you down the road!
:smt006

It is great to have a wife like that! Mine sounds quite the same as yours. Maybe it is common for roadster owners to have great wives?! We are working on year 40 together in marriage, this coming May 2018.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Took the Roadster to a car show put on in San Carlos here in the Bay Area. 150 cars, four foreign... Was pleasantly surprised how positive the car was received, and came away with a "Best Restoration" trophy. Such nice people up here in "Norcal."
IMG_1390.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Congrats on the award! I'm sure the personal satisfaction of doing a great restoration is reward enough, but getting recognition from such a large group (not to mention the strong ratio of American to foreign) is just icing on the cake :smt113. Mike
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

This was last weekend but I thought I'd post it anyway. How to Morro Bay and then the ride home on Turri Road.

Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Sunday drive after sitting for a week :(
Quick blast up Hicks Rd to Reynolds
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
ted heaton
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ted heaton »

Drove to E Washington on some of my favorite roads in the dry wheat farming country. Monday 9-11-17. 460 miles.

Ted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
jheck
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jheck »

I took a few photos south of Lexington.

She'll be going to a new home soon.
Jason
1970 1600
Bluegrass country, KY
amazgjoe
Roadster Fanatic

Post by amazgjoe »

Drove to Watkins Glen for the 30th anniversary Datsun Roadsters at the Glen Show.
IMG_20170909_132328.jpg
IMG_20170909_110208.jpg
IMG_20170904_163542.jpg
IMG_20170907_185147.jpg
IMG_20170909_113321.jpg
These guys love working on Roadsters!
IMG_20170904_173254.jpg
1967 1600 (Doris)
1967 1600 restored (Former Linusrp)
1987 Porsche 924s
2004 Ralliart Lancer
shawnj82
Site Supporter

Post by shawnj82 »

Pat Mahoney organized a mini Datsun show at a local car show for us. 3 Roadsters at a small-town show drew a bit of attention.

ted heaton

Post by ted heaton »

The Third Annual Pebbles Mt Baker Drive today, 9-16-17, was a GREAT Success.
Our best attended local drive. 11 Roadsters!!
And only 1 with the top up.
Good showing of 5! from the Seattle area,
Adam and son Avery, Dan R, Ted, Ted Jr and NEW DROPS member Jerry G.
ALL the 4 Bellingham Roadster boys showed up!!
Dan M, Evan, Tony and wife and Mike and wife.
3 of our good Canadian friends joined us.
Carl, Garth and Ross.
Big thanks to Evan for hosting the start at his 4 car Man cave with coffee and doughnuts!
Weather was great but unfortunately every one else in NW WA took advantage of probably the last nice day of our long Summer.
Cars parked all over the road side below Artist point and no room at the top.
We did find a couple of nice spots for group pictures. and our lunch/visit break.
Great drive and visiting with good roadster folk. No mechanical problems.
We were all disappointed that Dave McP (Pebbles) could not attend but he will be with us next year.

Ted.
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

Good ride and good company! :)
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

That was alot of fun. What a great drive and it was great to meet everyone. Parading 11 cars deep up a one way road to the top of a mountain with some pretty awesome switchbacks and many curves ahead sure caught alot of peoples attention. Artists point is breathtaking. Where we parked will likely be covered in snow within a week or two!
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
mblue97
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mblue97 »

Went for a nice little drive today with my TR6 buddy. Lots of nice back roads and stopped at the Oakbourne Mansion in West Chester, PA for a quick photo.
David
1967 1600
1986 Porsche 944
1991 Celica convertible