Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Where did you DRIVE this weekend? (Roadsters only!)

Post by pebbles »

fish wrote:Taking the long way to Solvang...yesterday drove Las Vegas to Rhyolite to Death Valley to Bishop to Bridgeport to Gardnerville, over the Carson Pass (thru a mini-blizzard) to Jackson, then to Lodi, Napa, and Occidental, CA. About 725 miles.

Tomorrow will be meandering southward through San Francisco and down the coast to eventually end up in Solvang on Friday.

New motor is doing OK, but it really hates altitudes over 6000' or so and is not running super smooth at certain points in the RPM range. I suspect the carbs need a little more love, then it'll be good and broken in and ready to go back into the red car whenever I get done with the bodywork. :)

No idea how random this picture is, as the hike to/from the car appears to be monumental :wink: .
Now, this splendid photograph, has my OCD wavering between the higher meaning of spring, the Road Blazing Datsun or the lone desert bloom :smt100
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

pebbles wrote:
fish wrote:Taking the long way to Solvang...yesterday drove Las Vegas to Rhyolite to Death Valley to Bishop to Bridgeport to Gardnerville, over the Carson Pass (thru a mini-blizzard) to Jackson, then to Lodi, Napa, and Occidental, CA. About 725 miles.

Tomorrow will be meandering southward through San Francisco and down the coast to eventually end up in Solvang on Friday.

New motor is doing OK, but it really hates altitudes over 6000' or so and is not running super smooth at certain points in the RPM range. I suspect the carbs need a little more love, then it'll be good and broken in and ready to go back into the red car whenever I get done with the bodywork. :)

No idea how random this picture is, as the hike to/from the car appears to be monumental :wink: .
Now, this splendid photograph, has my OCD wavering between the higher meaning of spring, the Road Blazing Datsun or the lone desert bloom :smt100
What he said, but to add, the lines in the background: mountains and clouds are an amazing augmentation i'd say! Well I did say it :smt023
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

pebbles wrote: Now, this splendid photograph, has my OCD wavering between the higher meaning of spring, the Road Blazing Datsun or the lone desert bloom :smt100
Don't forget the big phalic cloud.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
fish
Site Supporter

Post by fish »

Mainer311 wrote:
pebbles wrote: Now, this splendid photograph, has my OCD wavering between the higher meaning of spring, the Road Blazing Datsun or the lone desert bloom :smt100
Don't forget the big phalic cloud.
It wouldn't really be a roadster post without a not-so-hidden phallus in there someplace. I know this discussion board has standards, after all. :)
fish
Site Supporter

Post by fish »

pebbles wrote: No idea how random this picture is, as the hike to/from the car appears to be monumental :wink: .
I had actually pulled over to take a photo of some of the prickly pear flowers, then turned around to go back to the car and this scene presented itself. I couldn't resist. :)
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

fish wrote:
pebbles wrote: No idea how random this picture is, as the hike to/from the car appears to be monumental :wink: .
I had actually pulled over to take a photo of some of the prickly pear flowers, then turned around to go back to the car and this scene presented itself. I couldn't resist. :)
Stunning, as usual :smt006
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Awesome fun run from Solvang to Ojai and back today.
IMG_6781.JPG
IMG_6776.JPG
IMG_6773.JPG
IMG_6777.JPG
IMG_6780.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Brink Sunday Morning in Houston. Prepping the 67.5 2000 for next weekend's Nismo Fiesta ( http://NismoFiesta.com ) gathering in San Antonio. Car is all dialed in .

I drove to Houston's City Centre. Stopped by eCurie super Car Showroom:

Then morning coffee:

On the drive home, I was spotted by a member of the Z Club of Houston, and became an internet meme.

Dan
Houston, TX
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Had the "did not go to Solvang blues" today so took the car out on a drive up past 8,000 feet. Not one bit of stuttering and hesitation!
Temp stayed at 195, too! Was getting up to 210 prior to fixing a little leak.

I found I can easily out do the brakes in this car. But felt safer than the 4 guys I saw skate boarding down this road.
They have no brakes! I know the purists do not like the hole in my wheel well, but better watch out
trying to out corner this, it would not be real easy :smt001
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

Mike,
Car is looking good.
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

Drove to the Solvang Roadster Classic 2017. Great show!!! Great weather!!! Even greater cars and people!!!
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
krispoulin
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by krispoulin »

I DROVE my roadster to Solvang. (That's a sentence I've wanted to type on this forum ever since I learned what a Solvang is.)

We wanted to minimize the amount of freeway driving on the way up, so we got off I-5 in San Clemente then hopped onto Pacific Coast Highway in Dana Point, taking that to Malibu for a lunch break. Back on PCH to Oxnard and then Hwy. 101 up to Buellton to the camp grounds.

Here's a shot of the roadster parked next to the tent my wife and I called home for the weekend:
at Campground in Buellton, CA.JPG
We had a great time the entire time we were there, from the meet 'n' greet at Mendenhall, the show itself, and especially at the banquet & raffle. And it was great to meet some of the fine folks from this forum, of course!

Got up early Sunday morning, packed up the tent, and headed south, stopping somewhere near Santa Barbara for this view:
Near Santa Barbara, CA.JPG
Back on Hwy. 101 all the way down to Thousand Oaks, where we added some twists to the trip by taking CA-23 through the mountains to get to PCH. If you're not familiar with that stretch of CA-23, it's constant twists and turns, including a 180° cliff-side hairpin that looked like this as we approached it:
On CA23.JPG
(This photo also reveals that it's time to clean some dead bugs off the windshield.)

We made it back home in the early afternoon, after 504 miles round-trip and are already talking about Solvang 2018.
1967 SPL311
2015 E12
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

krispoulin wrote:I DROVE my roadster to Solvang. (That's a sentence I've wanted to type on this forum ever since I learned what a Solvang is.)

We wanted to minimize the amount of freeway driving on the way up, so we got off I-5 in San Clemente then hopped onto Pacific Coast Highway in Dana Point, taking that to Malibu for a lunch break. Back on PCH to Oxnard and then Hwy. 101 up to Buellton to the camp grounds.

Here's a shot of the roadster parked next to the tent my wife and I called home for the weekend:
at Campground in Buellton, CA.JPG

We had a great time the entire time we were there, from the meet 'n' greet at Mendenhall, the show itself, and especially at the banquet & raffle. And it was great to meet some of the fine folks from this forum, of course!

Got up early Sunday morning, packed up the tent, and headed south, stopping somewhere near Santa Barbara for this view:
Near Santa Barbara, CA.JPG

Back on Hwy. 101 all the way down to Thousand Oaks, where we added some twists to the trip by taking CA-23 through the mountains to get to PCH. If you're not familiar with that stretch of CA-23, it's constant twists and turns, including a 180° cliff-side hairpin that looked like this as we approached it:
On CA23.JPG
(This photo also reveals that it's time to clean some dead bugs off the windshield.)

We made it back home in the early afternoon, after 504 miles round-trip and are already talking about Solvang 2018.
Congrats on a successful adventure!!
David

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Good job, Kris! Sorry I missed you, and several others too.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
fish
Site Supporter

Post by fish »

I was accidentally transported to a strange desert planet where I achieved success in battle against a large lizard-like creature by using nearby rocks and minerals to fashion a crude gunpowder-based weapon. Then I went home and changed the oil in the car.