G15 pistons

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

G15 pistons

Post by unklpat »

I find it hard to believe there are no options for G15 pistons, .020 or bigger. There were thousands of these motors built. Anyone? Pat
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: G15 pistons

Post by datsun65 »

If the normal Datsun Roadster vendors don't carry, I'm sure a custom set can be made.

I've had good luck with Top End Performance on ordering custom pistons for an FJ20 engine. They know Nissans well, and possibly if provided with the specifications/guidance can have a set made for you.

Another vendor who may be able to help is Kameari in Japan. Don't be scared away that they are overseas. Most orders I've made with them have arrived in 4-5 days. Email Mori-San at kame.mori@nifty.com . They carry Datsun Roadster Parts. He knows English, so explain what you are looking for. If they can get you the Pistons, request an invoice via PayPal. Easiest way of placing the order & payment.

http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/

http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/CONTENTS-2.html

Good luck.
Dan
Houston, TX
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Curtis »

From what I have seen from Rallye, Nissan and other sources there were only maybe 4,000 or less 1500s made. Of that there might be a few hundred left. Whatever parts there may be they are few.

Wiseco and others will make you a set for a price but you know that already. I was going to have them make me a set to the tune of $900 but found another $100 or so option for my R motor stroker thanks to Steve and Premo. Send Wiseco a piston, give them the specs and get back 4 pistons after you take out your wallet. Sometimes we're screwed and have no other choice.

Rare cars, so much fun.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Daryl Smith »

Irrelephant
Last edited by Daryl Smith on Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

We build G15 forged pistons to order and often have them in stock. Many sets are in running engines now!
They are excellent forged or flat-top versions and exact 1500 copies but lighter and far better than cast.
They will outlast the rest of the engineđź‘Ť.
Last edited by JT68 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by datsun65 »

Fantastic! Thanks, Jim.
Dan
Houston, TX
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

G15 Forged,domed USA Production these are +.020
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LT/JT
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

If they're the same price as the other pistons on the site then that is a better deal then if you send them in to be made.
66 stroker, almost done.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

So, can you have a toyota 5r piston made for that price?
66 stroker, almost done.
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

These are about $400.00 with rings. Being a cast piston and newer technology these should last longer than the original pistons. Cast pistons require minimum orders and expensive tooling which some businesses can not afford. I pulled apart a 1500 motor last year that had 80,000 miles on it and Mark Degroff said the pistons had minimal wear. I trust Mark. He has been building roadster motors when most of us were in Elementary school.
The way people drive these cars, about 2000 miles a year if that, these should last well beyond most peoples lifetime. Paranoiac :shock: overkill with a forged piston is a waste of money. Remember engines have been running for years before they figured out the forged piston technology, not to mention where to find the special rings sets 20 years from now, who made them etc.
No Chinese, Taiwan or India parts ever.

Dean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Datsunparts.comInc on Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

>"So, can you have a Toyota 5r piston made for that price?"

Hi Curtis, yes, we can build pistons for any configuration roadster engine and they are all the same cost for this year. (I do expect an increase for 2023)

We built our first R-18 almost 20 years ago using the modified 5R piston. It was cheap at the time, but we don't consider it very cost effective these days with the extra work required to make them fit and when you factor in the tremendous difference in quality between the forged pistons we sell and ANY cheap cast piston!

30 years ago (1989 technically) We did our first street engine with forged pistons. That engine has about 200k miles on it and has not been apart since!
It has been in two cars and beat on relentlessly. I'm about to upgrade the head on it next year, but the lower end still needs nothing!

We'll come out with some other forged stroker pistons and rods later this year.

Yes, the forged parts are more expensive, but high quality forged parts always are, and they are 5 or 10 times stronger and durable. Lighter too!

Pistons, cranks and rods are all critical components for a bullet-proof lower end.

Do you really want the cheapest pistons you can find? We don't. Give us a call if you want the really good stuff!
LT/JT
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I'll give a text.
66 stroker, almost done.
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Daryl Smith »

Irrelephant
Last edited by Daryl Smith on Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Hi Daryl, Many of our pistons do use more modern ring designs with higher quality modern rings. Another excellent advantage!

Some guys have asked for a 2L type piston using the 1600 rod or similar for strokers. (like the vg30 efforts, but designed for R/H engines and higher quality, and not requiring any decking of the block!) We'll have some of those this year. Probably in a very light weight design-we'll see.

For 1500cc rebuilds, we stayed with the factory dimensions in a forged piston. Stock cast pistons are certainly one of the first items in a roadster engine to wear out or fail. We've thrown away countless sets! My guess is anyone using these forgies will never have to go back into the engine if everything else is built properly.

We also have lightweight forged rod options which go nicely with our regular domed and flat top pistons for the U20 and 2000cc strokers.

Keep your eye out for another piston thread from us on those and other options. j
LT/JT
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Curtis wrote: ↑Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:47 pm I'll give a text.
Well crap, I don't know what I was thinking? The short block is already at the machine shop. Have to see if it is too late. I got the first one back and I told them no hurry on the second.
66 stroker, almost done.