Hard top dilemma

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jhayden
Site Supporter

Re: Hard top dilemma

Post by jhayden »

Lorna c wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 am they stink . don't bother . you can't take it with you if you want it off like the ragtop. mine flew off on I-5 the day I brought it home .. haha idk where it ended up .. the clips we're on it was the bummer but ragtop all the way ! I barely have the ragtop up ever , storage would be all it's good for really.
Hud Bannon: Honey don't go shooting all the dogs 'cause one of 'em's got fleas. :smt001

Jon
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

jhayden wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:20 pm
Lorna c wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 am they stink . don't bother . you can't take it with you if you want it off like the ragtop. mine flew off on I-5 the day I brought it home .. haha idk where it ended up .. the clips we're on it was the bummer but ragtop all the way ! I barely have the ragtop up ever , storage would be all it's good for really.
Hud Bannon: Honey don't go shooting all the dogs 'cause one of 'em's got fleas. :smt001

Jon
haha true that ..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

jhayden wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Jon

here enjoy ..

Mackn367
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Mackn367 »

Oh so it was YOU who almost killed me on the 5 with their top flying off! (hahahaha jk jk) ... but seriously... did you just leave it on the freeway? :shock:
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600
VIN: SPL311-13038
Orange County, CA
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

If you live someplace with really heavy seasonal rains then the hard-top is nice. You just don't want to be taking it off and on a lot. Plus nobody mentioned but it's much quieter in the car w/ a good hard-top on.

FWIW I have the "Alvin style" hard top. I have also had a Parrish in the past and it was awesome.

HTH
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Mackn367 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 pm
Oh so it was YOU who almost killed me on the 5 with their top flying off! (hahahaha jk jk) ... but seriously... did you just leave it on the freeway? :shock:
noooooo . my story didn't go through .. I'm going to back out and come back so not to duplicate the response.. if it's posted and I don't see it yet .. I'll be right back

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok so this one may not be as good as my last story but it's still true .. somewhat .. no all of.it...

I was letting my son drive to get some experience with towing something this was coming from lake Tahoe mind you.. so is he's going way too fast I'm showing him how to brake properly with heavy weight on the back of the car. well I found myself being a backseat driver and I didn't want to do that so I lean my seat back and close my eyes.. after a bit I hear a " oshit" . because he was going so fast I figured he was getting pulled over so I sit up and say," what?" . he says ," your top just flew off ." I said ,"what?" he said, " the tops your car just flew off"." I said "turn around, what the heck was go get it".. I'm right at that part where the dairy is. where all the cows are, oh and it's July about 111 degrees.. exactly 111° actually . . .. it's kind of a desolate spot and it takes a minute to be able to even get off the freeway to turn around.. going up one exit which takes a little bit of drive passing the cows again . looking for the top all the way up and down , can't see the top anywhere.. so I say "let's go up two exits.." and yes by now you're tasting the cows in your mouth and two exits is about 30 minutes up .. ugh .. so we go up and come back not to see the top anywhere still.. so I asked him, " did you see it fly off or did you notice it was gone when you said oh shit?" he said , " idk , I looked up and it was gone ." and I said," well it could have flew off an hour ago then huh?" he said "maybe.. " haha I did not see it broken into a million pieces and I did not see a bad accident and I did not see the top.. I really have no idea what happened.. besides it's gone forever.. haha .. someone could have picked it up and sold it on eBay.. haha there's more to that story but I'll give the short version for now.. yes that's the short version.

Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

Lorna c wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:32 pm

ok so this one may not be as good as my last story but it's still true .. somewhat .. no all of.it...

I was letting my son drive to get some experience with towing something this was coming from lake Tahoe mind you.. so is he's going way too fast I'm showing him how to brake properly with heavy weight on the back of the car. well I found myself being a backseat driver and I didn't want to do that so I lean my seat back and close my eyes.. after a bit I hear a " oshit" . because he was going so fast I figured he was getting pulled over so I sit up and say," what?" . he says ," your top just flew off ." I said ,"what?" he said, " the tops your car just flew off"." I said "turn around, what the heck was go get it".. I'm right at that part where the dairy is. where all the cows are, oh and it's July about 111 degrees.. exactly 111° actually . . .. it's kind of a desolate spot and it takes a minute to be able to even get off the freeway to turn around.. going up one exit which takes a little bit of drive passing the cows again . looking for the top all the way up and down , can't see the top anywhere.. so I say "let's go up two exits.." and yes by now you're tasting the cows in your mouth and two exits is about 30 minutes up .. ugh .. so we go up and come back not to see the top anywhere still.. so I asked him, " did you see it fly off or did you notice it was gone when you said oh shit?" he said , " idk , I looked up and it was gone ." and I said," well it could have flew off an hour ago then huh?" he said "maybe.. " haha I did not see it broken into a million pieces and I did not see a bad accident and I did not see the top.. I really have no idea what happened.. besides it's gone forever.. haha .. someone could have picked it up and sold it on eBay.. haha there's more to that story but I'll give the short version for now.. yes that's the short version.
Oh man after all that I want the whole story! Haha.... hopefully your son learned a valuable lesson in constantly checking behind while towing (or in general for that matter). I can’t imagine how scary that would have looked/been if someone was following behind you.
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600
Orange County, CA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oops
Last edited by Lorna c on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

that's why I closed my eyes and leaned back .. haha after I made him learn and not being run by the tow weight .. basically when I knew I wouldn't die from flying off the hillside I layed back and then lost my top . . haha.. ok well the fast track on the rest of this adventure was after we accepted the fact that it is gone and breathing , because we can.. leaving the cow area now .. now he says , when do we turn west ?" "I don't know , not for a minute still I think "
I say turningg on my navigation .. I see we past it 20miles ago and no way to get to 101 until Gaviota which is a good hour plus from my house.. there's cement blocking the two freeways and basically no exits for a while . long while so I make him give me the wheel and drive to one of those dirt openings that aren't openings opened up . made him walk in front to look for anything big or rough to pop our tires and cut across , over a curb , oh yes a curb , and onto the other side safely to save us 3+ hours time .. as it was we left at noon and got home at midnight . it's an 8 hour drive with a tow normally .. . oh that was after some stops too . but..
the end . I'm not reading this before I submit so I hope it's readable . got to get ..

Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

Lorna c wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 pm that's why I closed my eyes and leaned back .. haha after I made him learn and not being run by the tow weight .. basically when I knew I wouldn't die from flying off the hillside I layed back and then lost my top . . haha.. ok well the fast track on the rest of this adventure was after we accepted the fact that it is gone and breathing , because we can.. leaving the cow area now .. now he says , when do we turn west ?" "I don't know , not for a minute still I think "
I say turningg on my navigation .. I see we past it 20miles ago and no way to get to 101 until Gaviota which is a good hour plus from my house.. there's cement blocking the two freeways and basically no exits for a while . long while so I make him give me the wheel and drive to one of those dirt openings that aren't openings opened up . made him walk in front to look for anything big or rough to pop our tires and cut across , over a curb , oh yes a curb , and onto the other side safely to save us 3+ hours time .. as it was we left at noon and got home at midnight . it's an 8 hour drive with a tow normally .. . oh that was after some stops too . but..
the end . I'm not reading this before I submit so I hope it's readable . got to get ..
Wow what an adventure! Well at least no injuries and you got a laughable story to tell.
Nick
1967.5 Roadster 1600
Orange County, CA
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

space wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:32 pm https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

Maybe it wasnt a ufo afterall?
hahaha WTH ? funny

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Mackn367 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:17 pm
Lorna c wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 pm that's why I closed my eyes and leaned back .. haha after I made him learn and not being run by the tow weight .. basically when I knew I wouldn't die from flying off the hillside I layed back and then lost my top . . haha.. ok well the fast track on the rest of this adventure was after we accepted the fact that it is gone and breathing , because we can.. leaving the cow area now .. now he says , when do we turn west ?" "I don't know , not for a minute still I think "
Wow what an adventure! Well at least no injuries and you got a laughable story to tell.
haha it was better the first version . that deleted .. haha but u got the gist . I did have to laugh during this . couldn't cry , I sweat it all out .. haha well back to hard top / soft top . your regularly scheduled programming ..

datsunwildman2
Forum Newb

Post by datsunwildman2 »

Looking for a high windshield hard top for a 311 usable shape