General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

CO2 = Synthetic Fuel

Post by Daryl Smith »

Just came across this, looks promising, just up the road from Vancouver, BC.

Gregs672000

Re: CO2 = Synthetic Fuel

Post by Gregs672000 »

WHAT!!!!!! Man, if this is legit it's a huge game Changer. What's funny, is that many many years ago I thought about this basic "why not filter the air" idea, and here it is but so way beyond even that. Can I buy stock?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Not publicly traded... :-?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

I wouldn't get too excited. It takes a lot of energy to make long chain hydrocarbons out of CO2. That energy needs to come from somewhere.
Mike Unger
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

Sorry folks, several problems. First is basic chemistry. I takes more energy to make hydrocarbons from CO2 and H2O that you get out of it. How is the synthetic going to run "perfectly clean with no diesel black smoke" if it is chemically identical? I suppose that if they have unlimited cheap hydro power it might make some economic sense but there are more efficient ways to displace carbon emissions than making synthetic hydrocarbons.
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

keith0alan wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:22 am Sorry folks, several problems. First is basic chemistry. I takes more energy to make hydrocarbons from CO2 and H2O that you get out of it. How is the synthetic going to run "perfectly clean with no diesel black smoke" if it is chemically identical? I suppose that if they have unlimited cheap hydro power it might make some economic sense but there are more efficient ways to displace carbon emissions than making synthetic hydrocarbons.
Keith,

We must have taken the same science courses! Lol!

This research project is located about 150 km from where I live. I have visited it as part of my work supporting the local electrical generation and energy sectors. The plant was built on research grants to challenge the process's scale-ability to determine if there was potential for technical and commercial viability. I don't think the process will get there but there are positive outcomes in terms of CO2 emission solutions.

British Columbia has the lowest cost of electrical energy generation/production in North America because it is nearly 100% hydro electric and it rains somewhere here every happy day of the year! Why invest in fuel manufacturing when 2039 will be the last year fossil fuel vehicles will be sold in this jurisdiction? Direct our focus and energy towards CO2 abatement projects, that way 2040 roadster owners won't feel too bad driving and emitting a small amount of CO2.

It's a beautiful drive from Vancouver to the plant's location near Squamish. If there is interest, I can coordinate a drive and possible plant tour. In the spring when it stops raining! :D
Garth
_________
68' 2000
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

With standard gasoline refining, we get 85% of the energy back (the energy in the gasoline produced). With the CO2 to synfuel process, we get 31% back from the gasoline produced. It takes a HUGE amount more effort and resources to make gasoline this way.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

GeoffM wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:30 pm With standard gasoline refining, we get 85% of the energy back (the energy in the gasoline produced). With the CO2 to synfuel process, we get 31% back from the gasoline produced. It takes a HUGE amount more effort and resources to make gasoline this way.

Might be viable with a Carbon Tax support or a leap forward in solar energy cost.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

fj20spl311 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:00 pm
GeoffM wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:30 pm With standard gasoline refining, we get 85% of the energy back (the energy in the gasoline produced). With the CO2 to synfuel process, we get 31% back from the gasoline produced. It takes a HUGE amount more effort and resources to make gasoline this way.

Might be viable with a Carbon Tax support or a leap forward in solar energy cost.
For sure. In BC where we have almost 100% renewable hydro plus a carbon tax, we may be early adopters of this....the world needs as much energy as we can generate.
Here's a great talk from an Oil/Gas company CEO that I listened to earlier. It's more about a Canadian perspective but I've cut to where he talks about world energy usage and quality of life.
[youtube][/youtube]
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Gas is $ 1.85 here ( @ a peculiar truck stop)
The corn sweat aspect needs to be considered too
It raises humidity greatly .....
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster