Idol issues still ..

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Idol issues still ..

Post by dbrick »

If that's the case, best solution is just get a set of carbs from Keith, Z therapy or one of the other sources. Some of the best money you can invest, you can save a little and just get throttle bodyies, but if you start with a complete set, correctly all rebuilt, the setup is easy and you get to drive the car and enjoy.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Here is just the throttle rebush procedure:

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

It's really not something you can DIY unless you have the right equipment. Upon installation of the new bushings, they need to be reamed and fitted to the butterfly shafts.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

hey i'm here.. my phone broke and that's my computer so been stuck out of forum. you thought my spelling was bad before wait until i'm on this computer for a bit without spell check .. i got it to drop normal again .. what was it you ask? ,, well i'm not sure completely. i think when i cleaned the motor i reopened a few spots of air leaks. when i went back through it AGAIN, i found the fuel pump i could turn the nuts a few times ,the new hoses i tightened in a few new holes in them, and some nuts around the header got tighter and what else .... something else was loose too ,what was it ooh i remember the carbs that tighten up onto the intake , yep they got tightened up more too... so now it's solid NO BUBBLES at all no hanging up idol anymore.., now i need a guy to go through it because i'm noticing that everything i tighten , isnt very tight .. i put all my weight and muscles into it and its a joke later . idk i consider myself to be pretty strong But not car strong i guess or something.. anyway it better not be the shafts already those were all rebuilt not a year ago so i hope i really do have it fixed now. it seems to be holding . man when you go through something , if you don't always start at the first step and go through everything like its your first time through it , your wasting your time, huh.. i'v noticed for me anyway . if i skip something on my Third time through because "i don't need to touch that again ", that's what the hang-.up will be when it doesn't work still ..,if that makes any sense .anyway i hate hanging over a computer ,hurts my neck so thats all from me for now ... thanks much for the ideas to try . i got some more practice on patience ..ugh..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh yeah, my dogbones were off too.. vibrated loose not too long ago and i didn't think they moved,but they did .. told you i'm not a good tightener upper ..

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

That last line is what a Roadster can certainly force one to learn! Patience! My car has tried mine several times and frequently does stuff I don't expect. For example, I have been adjusting idle A/F ratios, monitoring the meter during my changes. I can get it to idle consistently in the 14's, often 14.7. Then I go and drive it, and it will sometimes read 14's, but often it will go back to the low 12's (too rich) and stay there. I adjust it again, it seems happy, but drive it or let it idle and rev and it will still vary sometimes, for no adjustment based reason. I think heat has something to do with it. This is on a set of new Dellorto carbs, so it's not leaking etc. I think this is part of the reason manufactures went to EFI; there are simply too many parameters and changes that can occur with carburetors that would lead to inconsistent emissions.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: Idol issues still ..j

Post by Lorna c »

haha I just caught on to something . I spelt idol not idle..haha that's too funny ! haha oh wait that's me that did that . how do I change spelling on title ? hahaha funny . but anyway , yeah I don't want to come upon the wearing out of carbs issue for a while . I have enough to learn still . I can do needles and set them and break them down and clean them , if that's most if it, idk ?. oh I can set floats too . . but dealing with a entire new set of symptoms , oh no pls don't do that to me yet . . the fuel already had me all over that motor mis diagnosed every time tricky little sucker . I don't know those carbs but sounds like worn needles or misset ones no ? and maybe a touch too tight and something expands throttle cable ? mine was air leaks , probably allot of them.. hoses pump carbs were all loose . I've gone through this for a week and most of it I was doing to myself by not being meticulous and knowing what the start and end spots are so I can go step by step through every step because if I skip a step that will be the step that is my misstep.. hahahaha but I think I've gone through it all but I really haven't and that sucks . just because I was in that part last week or whatever doesn't mean it's good still ... kinda thing ... if that remotely makes sense.. but I feel your pain . then when you fix it ,you did seven things and which fixed it or it all fixed it , I don't know .. ya know .. haha read dr. Seuss to my granddaughter lately so ..sorry on the words like they are . haha

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Toptech360 wrote:Just pick a good role model to be your idol. often its someone you look up too, maybe a sports figure or someone well liked in your community, and there shouldn't be any issues.
hahaha

CameronSF
Roadster Nut

Post by CameronSF »

High idle is often caused by an air leak. The photo you posted earlier looks like one of the manifold studs that is missing a nut. If you are pulling air in from random spots it will raise your idle. Carb cleaner is your friend to locate these...you can spray at where you think you may be sucking in air and the idle will jump briefly as it sucks it up.
- Cameron
San Rafael, CA

1970 2000 SRL311 #13184
1990 300ZXTT
2006 Infiniti FX35 DD
2000 Crown Vic 'Queen Vic' 24 Hours of Lemons ' racecar'
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

thank you. it's a good idea to do it again to check ..