Chrome Co. polished inside of windshield frame

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Akpilot
Roadster Fanatic

Chrome Co. polished inside of windshield frame

Post by Akpilot »

Looking for options here, I had instructions to the chrome company to not polish the inside of the windshield frame and wings for my 67.5 car, but when I received them they were polished. Since I'm here in Alaska shipping is a problem I'm looking for options on what to do. Needless to say the chrome company doesn't want to see my stuff again, they said to scuff up the inside with scotch brite. It tried it on the lower wing portion and well not really what I had envisioned, leaves small scratch marks. Now what to do? I thought of sand blasting with less abrasive - walnut shells ect but without being really smooth and even it might leave undesirable marks as well. Orbital will leave swirl marks so that's out. what to do, what to do.....Glue vinyl to inside? paint?

Thoughts?

Ak
Kman
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Chrome Co. polished inside of windshield frame

Post by Kman »

Abrasive blasting from a distance of about 2 feet should do it. Tape off the places you want to stay shiny. Don't linger for long and check the finish often.

edit to add. I would use soda blasting. the outer chrome layer is very thin. I have a feeling walnut may not do much. If the soda doesn't work then fine silica sand.
Last edited by Kman on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 datsun 2000 (in current restomodification) Build thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25082
1967.5 datsun 2000 #88 pimpmobile (future restoration) Build thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25110
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Paint them silver...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

+1 paint!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Too bad you already scratched it up, as I would just leave it chrome because it looks nicer in my opinion. Unless you are building a stock car for show (which your super mod car certainly is not!) nobody will notice or care (if you don't!).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Akpilot
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Akpilot »

Thanks for the replies guys, I haven't done anything yet it is still polished and will probably leave it that way, I too like it polished Greg - just worried about the sun reflection while driving is all. Thinking I should either paint, scratch or blast as I can probably twist the Chromer's arm to redo while time is still on my side. I was talking with my brother and will probably Plastic-dip it first if the sun becomes a problem. Scratch and or blast will be the last option.

Ak
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Akpilot wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, I haven't done anything yet it is still polished and will probably leave it that way, I too like it polished Greg - just worried about the sun reflection while driving is all. Thinking I should either paint, scratch or blast as I can probably twist the Chromer's arm to redo while time is still on my side. I was talking with my brother and will probably Plastic-dip it first if the sun becomes a problem. Scratch and or blast will be the last option.

Ak
For your 67.5 the dull finish a "correct". I too prefer chrome. Personally I've never been blinded by my chrome windshield but I have been blinded the the toggle switch plate and ashtray!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread