Roadster Shipping

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Roadster Shipping

Post by Pjackb »

Hey guys still doing my due diligence and looking at cost of transportation from Southeast or Southwest USA
Having never shipped a car before and looking at options there is a huge difference between Open vs Closed transport around $750 to $1000 USD more

So my big question is it really worth it? and can I get them to put a Car cover on the open transport

Thanks
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Roadster Shipping

Post by dynaguy »

I would be concerned about the wind whipping a cover and causing paint and or other damage. Maybe a shrink wrap like a lot of the new cars are shipped. FWIW, these cars are meant to be exposed to the elements, if the one you would ship is reasonably tight, it should not be a huge worry. Pat
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Pjackb wrote:Hey guys still doing my due diligence and looking at cost of transportation from Southeast or Southwest USA
Having never shipped a car before and looking at options there is a huge difference between Open vs Closed transport around $750 to $1000 USD more

So my big question is it really worth it? and can I get them to put a Car cover on the open transport

Thanks
The value of enclosed transport depends on the value of the car, in particular the exterior. I saw once on Velocity where the roof of a car was damaged by the hefty sized truck driver pulling himself out the window when he didn't have room to open the door. Certainly not a problem with a roadster, but an enclosed trailer isn't going to protect the car from all damage.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

dynaguy wrote:I would be concerned about the wind whipping a cover and causing paint and or other damage. Maybe a shrink wrap like a lot of the new cars are shipped. FWIW, these cars are meant to be exposed to the elements, if the one you would ship is reasonably tight, it should not be a huge worry. Pat
I did not think about that , what you say make sense in a sense it's like driving the car it would be exposed to the same conditions , unless i'm forgetting something
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Also I've never shipped a car and I got quoted the following
Do they make sense?
West Coast (CA,Or,WA) - to Montreal, Quebec
Enclosed: $2895.00
Open: $1695.00

South East (GA,FL) to Montreal, Quebec
Enclosed: $2195.00
Open: waiting for quote but expecting ~$1200

as you can see huge difference open to close and obviously where the car come from
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

IIRC, Dave Kaplan and Andy Conner shipped their roadsters cross-country; one bubble-wrapped, the other shrink-wrapped. Did a search, but no pics. Also appears Andy's wonderful website no longer exists, at least not in the Inspirational Links section. :(

FWIW, my '66 came up from CA to WA on an open trailer. The wind ripped the grommets out of the soft top, ruining it beyond repair. Luckily, :roll: soft top wasn't in the greatest condition to begin with. Didn't harm the paint.

Maybe you should buy a running 1600. Drive it home and around for a bit whilst you collect the engine swap pieces.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Shrink wrap is a cool idea , not really practical when you think the car has to be driven on and off the transport but there might be some covers or shipping wrap available , worth investigating anyways .

Diving cross country with Hotels, gas and meals would most likely cost almost as much if not more
Jdflyer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Jdflyer »

I was looking at shipping mine from Montana to Arizona earlier this year. I decided to fly up, rent a uhual and trailer and drive it down instead. The quote from the shippers was about $1400. I paid $700 for the rental, 4 tanks of gas ~$250, fixed flat tire on trailer $35, 2 hotel rooms ~$240. So I saved about $200 but got to see some amazing sights on the way down. One of my job benifits is significantly discounted flights so that was covered. If I had to pay out of my pocket for the flight, it would have been cheaper to pay someone else.

I did toy with the idea of buying a used truck in Montana and only renting the trailer with the intention of selling the truck as soon as I got to phoenix. That could have saved a bunch of money but also brought its own set of risks and issues.
1970 SPL 311-29311
Phoenix, AZ
Jack Maskell
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Jack Maskell »

Beware the brokers. they will promise you everything but keep you hanging for weeks. Next time I ship I will deal with 1 company only.
Even after my car was on the road it was nothing but lies about current location. Trying to coordinate a meeting time and place was a nightmare also.
New addition 1959 Bugeye Sprite
68 solex rolling chassis
67 spl311 original
67 custom rotary spl311
68 spl311 donor car
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

I've had two experiences shipping Roadsters. My first one I had shipped from Denver to Northern Idaho in 2004. My brother-in-law lived near Denver and picked up from the seller and was available to assist loading on open transport. Seller was unwilling to help. A good friend of mine was available to be around when car was delivered to my home in Idaho, as I was away traveling for work at the time. As I recall the cost of transport was between $500-600 at that time, plus some adult beverages for my helpers.

Second time I shipped from Idaho to Florida in 2008. Buyer wanted an enclosed trailer as the car was freshly restored. The shipping company picked up at my home with an open flatbed and drove 90 miles to Spokane, WA and put in enclosed trailer at that time. Buyer was unhappy with this as he had paid for fully enclosed all the way. Cost was about $2100, as I recall.

Both times cars arrived unscathed.

FWIW,

Pat
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I moved from Wisconsin to NC in 2006 via van lines. They packed my house, and the Roadster went in the bottom in the back. They put a shelf over it, and loaded more furnishings and household crap. I drove the car in at Wisconsin, and I drove the car out in NC. It with plenty of room to spare (with hardtop on). And arrived completely unscathed.
As part of the move, and covered by work at the time, I think the whole thing was $2200.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
exit64
Roadsteraholic

Post by exit64 »

Check out Uship. Works like eBay. Guys bid on the job. Can get cheaper rates if they are looking at a return deadhead trip. You get what you pay for though. Kiwi Carriers put mine on the bottom under an air cooled VW that dripped oil all over the car for 3 days. And the driver buggered up the front sway bar mounts by using them as a tow point.
1967.5 SPL 311-14542 Pieces-parts
1969 SRL 311-09979
1966 411 Blackbird....Stay tuned.
1971 B110 757213 About to unleash 69 HP @6000 RPM
A carburetor man in a fuel injection world.
"Ripping the Bring* and sanding it round"
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

Thanks guys , all good things to think about but have to say JDFlyer got my attention and if I end up with the southeast car there's a good chance I would rent a pickup truck (or use a friends) and closed car hauler from a local company
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

Please buy the car in Alabama. The price keeps dropping and I really don't need a divorce. If it gets much lower I'm in trouble and possible alone. :smt009
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

cktrap wrote:Please buy the car in Alabama. The price keeps dropping and I really don't need a divorce. If it gets much lower I'm in trouble and possible alone. :smt009
Keith
But look at the brigh side ,
you'll have 3 roadsters and a parts car to keep you company and can stay in the garage as long as you want :twisted: :twisted: