66 Roadster project

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Re: 66 Roadster project

Post by Toptech360 »

Could also be the piston cup in the release (slave) cylinder is stuck. This happened to me. I was able to take it apart and clean up the cup and cylinder bore and it has been working since.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

Toptech360 wrote:Not sure on the drain plug size, sorry. I just wanted to comment on your new project. Thats exciting and looks pretty good especially for 500 bucks. Congrats.
Thanks. I ended up using a 1/4". Found a nice sharp new one, applied some diagonal force at the same time and turned very carefully. Came right out. That stuff was not the color gasoline is supposed to be. I put a gallon on fresh in and fired it up, purrs like a kitten. I did ran it for about 10 minutes before I remembered to add the lead substitute. There was a note in the glove box stating the preferred oil weight and to use the fuel additive. It makes me wonder if the 73k on the odo might actually be original mileage.
http://vid1293.photobucket.com/albums/b ... rgqctp.mp4
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

Some more pics -

Apparently it's spent part of it's life as a wildlife sanctuary

Fuel pump is leaking a bit. Replace or is there a fix? I haven't tried just tightening those screws yet. Good thing this is on the opposite side from the exhaust manifold. When I was running it a chunk of paper that was stuck down in there started smoldering.

One original plate. I sent the guy I bought it from an e-mail asking if the other is around somewhere but I doubt it. I may get another one stamped and run these on the car.

Original registration documents from 1966 to 1972 proving provenance of black plates. Pretty cool.
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

Besides this clutch issue, the soft top is pretty high on my list of concerns. Pretty sure I'm gonna tackle it myself. Any thoughts on buying the "package deal" from convertibletopguys.com for $529 https://www.convertibletopguys.com/conv ... -1600-2000 vs. just the top from datsunparts.com at $479 http://www.datsunparts.com/Soft-Tops ? Any other suggestions? I've read through the tech wiki and a few other posts and I'm pretty confident I can do a decent job, just want to make sure I get a good product. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for quality but don't need to spend twice as much for 10 percent better. FYI, I have no garage so while I will be using a cover most nights, it will spend a lot of time outdoors. I'm also considering this hardtop on ebay right now as a quick solution to keeping the weather out - http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-67-5-DATS ... hN&vxp=mtr - I just wonder what shipping is gonna run and also he says no latch hardware will be included so that will be an additional expense as well.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

The Rock auto soft top is pretty good I think, and less expensive. Be sure to order the correct one for your year. Installation is doable, follow the tech tips, save yourself 400 bucks. :)
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... t=Soft+top
IMG_20161127_092332619.jpg
Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

devo
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

fatmatt wrote:
I assume 67 is the same as 66, just not listed as such?
That is correct.
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

devo wrote:
fatmatt wrote:
I assume 67 is the same as 66, just not listed as such?
That is correct.
Thanks. Just sent in my order with the 5% discount code. WOOHOO!
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

Linda wrote:The Rock auto soft top is pretty good I think, and less expensive. Be sure to order the correct one for your year. Installation is doable, follow the tech tips, save yourself 400 bucks. :)
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... t=Soft+top
IMG_20161127_092332619.jpg
Linda
Which one did you go with, texture pinpoint or stayfast?
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I did the pinpoint vinyl because : I rarely use the top, ( just stretching it out now), it is lighter than stayfast, it rarely rains here, and it is cheaper. Good enough and looks OK. I feel claustrophobic with the top up not as enjoyable driving..
I got the zip out window, which is kind of neat.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

I've decided to go Stayfast as the weather around here will probably dictate that the top be up a fair amount of the time. Rock Auto sells the Acme one for $373.15 after the 5% discount and topsonline sells the Robbins one for $480. They both appear to be made of the same material. Others here say that the Robbins is better but I haven't seen anyone say why. Does anyone know the difference? Fit? Materials? Packaging? Any other options or vendors I should be considering? Also, mine has no cables installed currently. It looks like, generally, they are not used. Does anyone use them and what do they do?
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Be careful with RockAuto they often list the L4 engine (510?) not the R16. Despite being made aware of the mislabeling they can't or won't fix it.
Ordering for a 2000 if the part is the same, should be correct.
Ordering from the vendors will nearly always be correct.
Linda
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

While you are in the fuel pump, check the hard line from the pump. It can rust out after sitting for long periods.
Congrats on the #coldstart!
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
fatmatt
Roadster Nut

Post by fatmatt »

pebbles wrote:While you are in the fuel pump, check the hard line from the pump. It can rust out after sitting for long periods.
Congrats on the #coldstart!
The fuel pump fixed itself. Probably just needed to get some fuel on the gaskets to soften them up and start sealing again. I'll take a look at that hard line though. Thanks for the tip. I love the rims on your car. I'm going to check out a similar set tomorrow. What are the dimensions and tire size on yours? I think the ones I'm looking at tomorrow are 15x5.5 but the seller isn't sure. Also, the yellow Griffin caps are pretty sweet. I'd love to try to make my own but a quick image search didn't yield anything. Any chance you could provide a clean, close-up, straight on photo to use to print out my own if I do end up getting these rims?
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

not my car.

this is my car :oops: :oops:
Rotisserie.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."