Volunteer to assess a 311 on Long Island?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

piezoman1
Roadster Newby

Volunteer to assess a 311 on Long Island?

Post by piezoman1 »

Hi everyone. I'm new here as of last week or so, and am in search of my first 311. I have been in discussions with a member (punkzdriver) about buying his 67.5 1600. He's had it on ebay and local CL for a couple months iirc, with no real bites. Due to my locality, it's all but impossible for me to make the jaunt over to check it out in person before plunking down the money on it and hopping on a plane to bring it back. I like what I see and have heard about it, and am pretty comfortable with the known issues that the car has to be dealt with yet. But, the owner recommended trying to see if any forum members would be able/willing to take a look at it in person to provide me somewhat of an independent review of it's condition and any issues that may not be as noticeable in pictures alone.

I know this is not the ideal time of year for folks to be trying to squeeze unplanned road trips in on behalf of someone they don't even know(!), but if anyone out there would be willing to do what they can, I think there would be at least 2 grateful members thanking them for their time, assistance, knowledge, etc.!

Here's a pretty informative thread on his car, for anyone interested.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 84#p242584

Thanks!
-Paul
Omaha, NE
FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Re: Volunteer to assess a 311 on Long Island?

Post by FairladySPL »

You came to the right place, Paul, and your caution is warranted just out of common sense for a long-distance purchase like this. I don't want to speak for anyone but there are some folks on here in the NY-NJ, NE Pennsylania region who typically go out of their way to help on a variety of matters.

Hoping this car doesn't get away from you, but I think you're right that the holiday planning load is a tough rival for spare time. I'd wait it out instead of taking the risk. Maybe even putting down a deposit to hold it for a fixed amount of time.

I like the fact the seller has invited you to find other members on here to come see on your behalf. And because northeast U.S. winters are not the best time to sell a convertible, you might be lined up for a good deal when things come together.
--Paul / Annapolis