Aligning the hood

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Aligning the hood

Post by C.Costine »

Awhile ago I got the rust repaired and the hood pieces welded back together, and most of the filling done. I had mostly finished the fenders as well, so today I mounted the fenders and hood in order to get them to match up well together with the final filling work. Well, I started to adjust the hood, adjusting with it up, then lowering it and checking the alignment. I did this for about an hour and was no closer than when I started. I knew that there had to be a trick to it, and I was thinking that at the factory they must have done it from underneath before installing the motor. No, that's not it, the motor has to go in before the hood goes on. Suddenly the light bulb went on. I looked in through where the grill would be and there were the bolt heads right there. Just loosen them, get it lined up, then tighten the bolts. Easy! Finally.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
svwilbur
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Aligning the hood

Post by svwilbur »

Thanks for posting. I will be taking mine off for some work and planned on marking it a bit to know where they were but your post will help if all else fails. ;-)
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

If you remove the hood at the pivot bolts, there is no realigning to do.

Use towels between the fenders, grill and hood go avoid paint damage. Use two people to remove it so there is no paint contact.

Removing the grill and horns first makes everything easier. J
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

JT68 wrote:If you remove the hood at the pivot bolts, there is no realigning to do.

Use towels between the fenders, grill and hood go avoid paint damage. Use two people to remove it so there is no paint contact.

Removing the grill and horns first makes everything easier. J
But if you are doing major rust repair/body work there is complete alignment to be done!
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Yes, that's probably true if removing fenders etc. I was just posting for folks to know that if you only remove the hinge-pin bolts, you typically won't have to realign.

Much easier than adjusting all four bolts and multiple hood angles.

Handy tip// JT
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!